Re: Questions about the squeak license

joshscholar
I thought that the license on Apple's fonts was very restrictive (perhaps
like GNU general), and that you have to rid your image of Apples' fonts if
you want to do anything commercial.

Josh Scholar

Re: Questions about the squeak license

Philippe Marschall
>         - Can I distribute a Squeak image with my code loaded?
>                 yes
Sorry to sound like a troll, but is that true even if your customer
lives in Syria, Iran and all the other countries that are under US
export regulations?
Are you even allowed to use Squeak in these countries?

Re: Questions about the squeak license

Cees De Groot
> I thought that the license on Apple's fonts was very restrictive (perhaps
> like GNU general), and that you have to rid your image of Apples' fonts if
> you want to do anything commercial.

Well, that is not what the license says - it just says that you can
use the Apple fonts only in the context of Squeak.

And that clause was written before it was firmly established (at least
in US law) that bitmapped fonts are not copyrightable works anyway.

On 1/12/06, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >         - Can I distribute a Squeak image with my code loaded?
> >                 yes
> Sorry to sound like a troll, but is that true even if your customer
> lives in Syria, Iran and all the other countries that are under US
> export regulations?
> Are you even allowed to use Squeak in these countries?

Sure. The license doesn't say anything about that. It's the "exporter"
that is at risk. Luckily, these days, simply offering something on a
website for download doesn't seem to be regarded as exporting anymore.
That clause is mostly a paper tiger.

(envisioning an Afghan Al Qaeda training camp where they huddle around
a campfire and an iBook trying to find out how they can use EToys to
do Bad Things[tm])

Re: Questions about the squeak license

Blake-5
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:23:08 -0800, Cees De Groot <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> (envisioning an Afghan Al Qaeda training camp where they huddle around
> a campfire and an iBook trying to find out how they can use EToys to
> do Bad Things[tm])

"Reference a nil object again!"