Re:Running Wisconsin Croquet Demo.

1 message Options

Re:Running Wisconsin Croquet Demo.

Howard Stearns
Hi Kiran,

I'm sorry that you're having problems.  The WiscWorlds do indeed work
over a WAN connection to Wisconsin.  There are a number of things
that could be going wrong.

1. Are you running Croquet stand-alone or through the Web browser
plugin? If the latter, it starts by checking for updates (which
certainly will be present in your first use). If there are updates
that you don't have, it loads them and saves the image.  However, at
that point you have to reload the browser page -- it cannot continue
on its own.  (There's no blocking if you are current with respect to
updates.)

2. All the portals to other worlds are arranged right in front of you
when you connect. If these have been left opened by other users, the
system needs to get each open world before you start. Some of these
can take a while, and getting all of them might be exceeding some
timeout.

I'm not sure what the long term fix for this is, but this morning
(around 1pm Greenwich time)  I'll just reset everything to make sure
that isn't the problem.

3. There has been no performance or robustness tuning.  Sometimes
things break on my end. Try again after the reset.

4. Just accept the default login. (But you would have gotten an error
if the problem was an incorrect login.)