Re: Setting Up a Server to Handle Squeak Projects

Re: Setting Up a Server to Handle Squeak Projects

Brad Fuller
Milan Zimmermann wrote:
2.  Will detection of the plugin be semi-automatic? I.e., if a user
without the plugin tries to download a Squeak project, will he get an
error, an ugly binary dump or something meaningful?

>From what I remember, in the life without the plugin in all my browsers, if
done "correctly" it will redirect user to the site where to find the plugin.
If you use the simple version on top, it will do it right.

when visiting this URI:
http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html
and clicking on the page area of the missing plugin, the "Manual Install" points to a non-existent page. This error is received:
--
Not Found
The requested URL /plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html was not found on this server.

"download the plugin" link works, though.

brad
(I've copied the squeakland ml so they'll know the error at the web page)

Re: Setting Up a Server to Handle Squeak Projects

Miguel At Squeakland
Hello all,

The URL noted in the last entry to this thread doesn't exist at
all.  Please let me know where the dead link resides and I will correct.

The detection process is automatic and kicks in when the Download
Squeak link is used.

Thanks in advance for the help finding the dead link.

cheers,
Miguel Perez

At 11:28 AM 5/29/2006, you wrote:

>Milan Zimmermann wrote:
>>>

>>>2.  Will detection of the plugin be semi-automatic? I.e., if a user
>>>without the plugin tries to download a Squeak project, will he get an
>>>error, an ugly binary dump or something meaningful?
>>>

>> >From what I remember, in the life without the plugin in all my
>> browsers, if
>>done "correctly" it will redirect user to the site where to find the plugin.
>>If you use the simple version on top, it will do it right.
>>
>when visiting this URI:
><http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html>http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html
>and clicking on the page area of the missing plugin, the "Manual
>Install" points to a non-existent page. This error is received:
>--
>Not Found
>The requested URL /plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html was not found
>on this server.
>--
>
>"download the plugin" link works, though.
>
>brad
>(I've copied the squeakland ml so they'll know the error at the web page)

All the best,

Miguel Perez

"Squeak - The tool for inventing the future!"
http://www.squeakland.org

Re: Setting Up a Server to Handle Squeak Projects

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2006 May 30 10:23, Miguel At Squeakland wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The URL noted in the last entry to this thread doesn't exist at
> all.  Please let me know where the dead link resides and I will correct.
>
> The detection process is automatic and kicks in when the Download
> Squeak link is used.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help finding the dead link.

Miguel,

If you go to this page:

http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html

and do "view source", there is this code:

<<...>>
<<...>>
                base="http://www.squeakland.org"
                pluginspage="http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html"
        width="100%"
<<...>>

#1) The first "../detect.html" resolves to:

http://www.squeakland.org/detect.html

directs to:

http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/installers/ux.html

exists and works (well at least on Linux/konqueror as the browser detection
probably plays a role?)

#2) The second

http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/detect/detectinstaller.html

does not exist. So I think you need to change this page (may be other places
too):

http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html

Hope this helps, Milan