Re: Sim-sized portals between islands

obrien-2
Shack Dougall asks:

> In the demos, the portals between islands are relatively small, i.e.,
> about the size of a doorway.  I am wondering what would happen if they
> were much larger?
> Assuming that it works in the simple case and I can see into my 4
> neighboring islands.  Would I also be able to see into my neighbor's
> neighbors?

        This is just how Second Life works.  There, there are no
"portals", and a great deal of work goes into making sim "boundaries"
cooperate seamlessly.  Of course it isn't seamless, and one of
the most visible constraints is on the overall size and complexity of
constructs, and of vehicles in particular, just so that when such
constructs cross sim boundaries, the handoff works correctly.  If
it doesn't, things tend to explode with incredible violence, spreading
wreckage and avatars across dozens of sims.

        In particular, you can see across sim corners to three other
sims at the same time.  Each sim is responsible for returning a stream
of viewable objects and textures to anyone whose cone of vision
crosses a sim boundary.

Mike O'Brien

Re: Sim-sized portals between islands

Peter Moore-5
I've actually done exactly this. Actually I also "wrapped" the spaces
so that walking north in B would lead to H. As you might imagine this
had the effect of being able to see your own back in the distance. I
used fractal terrains for the ground so that you couldn't see very
far in any direction, which helped with the seeing yourself problem.

I should say that I did this in the older Jasmine release of Croquet
and I can't promise that it works as well in Hedgehog. Setting up all
the spaces and portal connections will definitely be more work in
Hedgehog.

-Peter

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Shack Dougall wrote:

> In the demos, the portals between islands are relatively small,
> i.e., about the size of a doorway.  I am wondering what would
> happen if they were much larger?
> For example, could you use Croquet to create a logical grid of
> islands similar to the grid of sims in SecondLife?  Each island
> would be a certain size (e.g., 256 x 256) and would have four
> portals to the four islands next to it.  Instead of a doorway-sized
> portal, you could make huge portals that cover a whole side of the
> island.  So, a portal would be something like 256 wide and maybe
> 256 tall to make it symmetric.
>
> If I tried to do this today in Croquet, what kind of problems might
> I encounter?
>
> Assuming that it works in the simple case and I can see into my 4
> neighboring islands.  Would I also be able to see into my
> neighbor's neighbors?
>
> For example, given this configuration of islands:
>
> ABC
> DEF
> GHI
>
> E would be directly adjacent to B, D, F, and H.  So, for me to see
> A, while standing in E, I would have to look through two portals in
> series: from E to B and then from B to A.

Re: Sim-sized portals between islands

David A. Smith
This should work fine. Note that there isn't any test for distance at
the moment, just portal depth. This means the rendering will recurse
into other spaces. You should set the recurse depth to one if you
don't want this to kill your performance.

Setting this up in Hedgehog is pretty simple, you just need to use a
TPostcard now instead of a direct link to the other TFrame objects.
You can check the demos for how to set this up.

DAS