Re: Squeak 4.1 / Seaside / "One-Click" images

Re: Squeak 4.1 / Seaside / "One-Click" images

Andreas.Raab
Ah, I see. It would be great if we could find some help with these
images; I'm a noob regarding Seaside and I haven't ever touched Pier so
if someone out there would be willing to give advise on how to set
things up, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 8/14/2010 12:47 PM, John McKeon wrote:

> I think Lukas was referring to a Pier one click image. The
> Squeak4.1-Seaside3 image does include Magritte and Pier, but lacks
> several often-used Pier add-ons; most notably the Pier-Blog package and
> the Pier-Setup package The latter contains code to create a Pier with
> several pre-packaged pages (including a blog component) and looks more
> "ready to go".
>
> So for future reference of Squeak users, to get the Pier one-click
> kernel (or a reasonable a facsimile) you must additionally (and
> minimally) access the pier2addons repository from
> source.lukas-renggli.ch <http://source.lukas-renggli.ch> and load
> Pier-Blog then Pier-Setup, then evaluate:
>
> PRDistribution new register
>
> Alternatively, one could just load the ConfigurationOfPier2AddOns in the
> Metacello Repository which will load alot of other useful addons as well.
>
> Sincerely
> John McKeon
>

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     PS. I forgot to mention that all of my recent work of interest here
>     is based on these images, including the work on SqueakSSL, the
>     WebClient Seaside server adapter, the OAuth stuff and that my little
>     demo at http://ardemo.seasidehosting.st is using these images, too.
>
>     Cheers,
>       - Andreas
>

>     On 8/14/2010 8:19 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>         On 8/13/2010 11:01 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>             There is no one-click image for Squeak 4.1 AFAIK.
>

>         Oh sure there is. Right here:
>         http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak
>         http://www.squeak.org/Documentation/Installation/#h-5
>         http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/
>
>         These were further referenced in several blog posts:
>         http://news.squeak.org/2010/07/23/seaside-3-0rc-one-click-image/
>         http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/new-squeak-4-1-seaside-images/
>
>         http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/using-squeakssl-with-seaside/
>

>         Cheers,
>         - Andreas

> http://john-mckeon.us/seaside

Re: Squeak 4.1 / Seaside / "One-Click" images

Andreas.Raab
Hi John,

[cc: squeak-dev so we don't lose track of this issue]

On 8/25/2010 10:59 AM, John McKeon wrote:
> Sorry I let this fall to the wayside.

No problem, we're all busy :-)

> The script is of course a far superior method. The following changes
> would give a "complete" Pier installation with a running Pier instance
> created.

I'll make sure we add this as soon as Seaside goes final. Unless (hint,
hint) someone wants to take a run at updating the Seaside3 images at
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/ ?

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     I think the best way would be to extend the build script. It's
>     currently as simple as can be:
>
>             Installer squeaksource
>                     project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>                     install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>                     install: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
>                     install: 'ConfigurationOfPier2'; <--
>
>          Add:   install: 'ConfigurationOfPier2AddOns'.
>

>             (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
>             (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2) load.
>             (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) load.
>
>            (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2AddOns) load.
>            PRDistribution new register.
>
> What is the benefit of using the Smalltalk at: pattern?
> #ConfigurationOfXXX load does the same thing, no?

Not if you execute it as one doIt. Using "#ConfigOfFoo load" would send
the message load to the symbol #ConfigOfFoo (not the class) but using
"ConfigOfFoo load" would mean that ConfigOfFoo is Undeclared when
evaluating the entire doIt, giving raise to the compiler complaining
about an undeclared variable. You are right though that if the above
were executed line-by-line it would be the same.

Cheers,
   - Andreas