Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Craig Latta

Hi all--

     I'd like to serve on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2020 (wow, it
really does feel like Back to the Future now ;). I'm interested in
looking back, as we sometimes do, to plan for the 25th anniversary of
Squeak in 2021.

     I've also been on a wild ride forward and to the side, with Bert's
SqueakJS VM and the Caffeine project. They've brought me into contact
with many interesting Smalltalk, JavaScript, and livecoding-adjacent
technologies and communities. I want to continue hatching strange ideas
about them with my fellow board members, and with you.

     Once hatched, those ideas want to grow in our collaborative spaces.
I've been helping with the board meeting notes for some time, but we
haven't publicized them. I'd like to know how you'd like to see them
appear on the Squeak project blog, our mailing lists, and in our live
systems. Whatever we come up with will need to be done communally (each
of us is doing many other things), but I'd like to help us restart here.

     Another technical front I've been pushing recently is modularity
and team development. I'd like to get some more livecoders connected
this year.

     thanks again!
     Craig

***

[|] https://thiscontext.com
[|] https://caffeine.js.org
[|] https://toplap.org

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

jrm

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

jrm
My name is John-Reed Maffeo and my Squeak code signature is jrm.

As a hobbyist Smalltalk programmer who, even after 20 years, still considers himself a newbie and struggles to grok the essence of OO and yet still aspires to achieve recognition as a Knight of the Square Bracket, I now stand ready, spear in hand, to offer my services once again.

My platform is simple,
image.png

I am experimenting with cross platform development using Mac, Windows, Linux and Android and the colorful abstraction is helpful to me. I wrote the #SensorReporter to help me as I jump around different platforms and install new releases which insist on setting the default to a non-native configuration. I agree with the wiki entry Andrew P. Black on mouse button colors and the command key

 In closing, my fellow §queakers should know that I can be unreliable, mercurial, absent minded, and unreliable, but I am willing to give it a try and try to do by best to help keep the wheels on the bus.

RYB,
-jrm

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:15 AM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg
2. Craig Latta
3. Tim Rowledge
4. David T. Lewis
5. Marcel Taeumel
6. Chris Muller
7. Ben Coman For more info on the board please see: https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/ Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6636 Now until Monday 20th of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning! Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run. During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions. I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run. Some people will not run without encouragement. Also, I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

The schedule and process are as follows:
Now until Monday 20th of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Monday 20th of January 2020 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.
Monday 20th of January 2020 4 PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.
Tuesday 4th of February 2020 4 PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.
Results will be announced immediately after the election ends.

The voting period is two week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 20st of January 2020 or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please try to make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

--
John-Reed Maffeo

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Edgar De Cleene
Thanks you for your work

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 15/01/2020, 11:21, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all--

     I'd like to serve on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2020 (wow,
> it
really does feel like Back to the Future now ;). I'm interested in
looking
> back, as we sometimes do, to plan for the 25th anniversary of
Squeak in
> 2021.

     I've also been on a wild ride forward and to the side, with
> Bert's
SqueakJS VM and the Caffeine project. They've brought me into
> contact
with many interesting Smalltalk, JavaScript, and
> livecoding-adjacent
technologies and communities. I want to continue hatching
> strange ideas
about them with my fellow board members, and with you.

> Once hatched, those ideas want to grow in our collaborative spaces.
I've been
> helping with the board meeting notes for some time, but we
haven't publicized
> them. I'd like to know how you'd like to see them
appear on the Squeak project
> blog, our mailing lists, and in our live
systems. Whatever we come up with
> will need to be done communally (each
of us is doing many other things), but
> I'd like to help us restart here.

     Another technical front I've been
> pushing recently is modularity
and team development. I'd like to get some more
> livecoders connected
this year.

     thanks again!
     Craig