Re: [SqueakAudio] external midi devices

Brad Fuller-3

Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm brand new to Squeak.  I know that midi files can be played using the
> built in synth, but is there a way to play them with an external synth?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Linux.  Does Squeak see the Alsa midi ports?  Would
> Jack help?
There is no jack plugin, that I've seen.
Florian write an ALSA Midi port, which is in the OLPC branch:
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/olpc/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin/

I don't know what the thinking is of getting this moved to the main unix
VM. I don't know if it even works. Florian might know (copied).

I've posted this to the VM mailing list. Maybe someone knows the
thinking about the plugin and also the strategy of moving the OLPC work
to main.

brad

Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
> Do I need only the sqUnixMIDIALSA.inc file?  Where does it go?

That's an include file for the building of the unix Midi VM plugin.
You'll need to know how to build the VM to play around with it. There
are plenty of descriptions available if you'd like to do that. It's not
hard if you're a C programmer and know linux.  I was hoping that others
might speak up, especially Florian, about the status of the file, before
you dive into this.

brad

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm brand new to Squeak.  I know that midi files can be played using
>>> the
>>> built in synth, but is there a way to play them with an external synth?
>>>
>>> I'm using Ubuntu Linux.  Does Squeak see the Alsa midi ports?  Would
>>> Jack help?
>> There is no jack plugin, that I've seen.
>> Florian write an ALSA Midi port, which is in the OLPC branch:
>> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/olpc/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin/
>>

>> I don't know what the thinking is of getting this moved to the main
>> unix VM. I don't know if it even works. Florian might know (copied).
>>
>> I've posted this to the VM mailing list. Maybe someone knows the
>> thinking about the plugin and also the strategy of moving the OLPC
>> work to main.
>>
>> brad
>>

>>> I've tried using the ScorePlayer class, with openMIDIPort: 20 (the port
>>> number of my synth as it shows up in alsa), but I get a "Primitive
>>> failed" error message when I try to play something.

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124