Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 11 March 2013 00:11,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg uploaded a new version of EToys to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/EToys-bf.94.mcz

> Name: EToys-bf.94
> Author: bf
> Time: 11 March 2013, 1:11:38.945 am
> UUID: 4abe21cf-5215-40c9-8371-07b6a9e09b81
> Ancestors: EToys-fbs.93
>
> Bring in some classes and methods from the Etoys image so that project loading gives a meaningful error, not just 'unknown class'. See ReleaseBuilderSqueakland>>buildInitialScreen
>
> =============== Diff against EToys-fbs.93 ===============

This has several missing classes, I just discovered: SExpElement,
EToyExpressionTransformer2 and SugarPropertiesNotification.

I only just noticed now because
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared often fails for spurious
reasons (discussed at length elsewhere).

frank

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 10 April 2013 13:42, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 March 2013 00:11,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bert Freudenberg uploaded a new version of EToys to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/EToys-bf.94.mcz

>> Name: EToys-bf.94
>> Author: bf
>> Time: 11 March 2013, 1:11:38.945 am
>> UUID: 4abe21cf-5215-40c9-8371-07b6a9e09b81
>> Ancestors: EToys-fbs.93
>>
>> Bring in some classes and methods from the Etoys image so that project loading gives a meaningful error, not just 'unknown class'. See ReleaseBuilderSqueakland>>buildInitialScreen
>>
>> =============== Diff against EToys-fbs.93 ===============
>
> This has several missing classes, I just discovered: SExpElement,
> EToyExpressionTransformer2 and SugarPropertiesNotification.
>
> I only just noticed now because
> Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared often fails for spurious
> reasons (discussed at length elsewhere).

I hit "send" too soon. It bothers me that Bert didn't get told that he
was about to add missing class definitions. I understand that they
weren't missing in his image, but it'd be really nice if something
somewhere could have told Bert "you've forgotten some classes". The
current "commit and see what CI says" mechanism is suboptimal.

> frank

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On 10.04.2013, at 05:45, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 April 2013 13:42, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11 March 2013 00:11,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Bert Freudenberg uploaded a new version of EToys to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/EToys-bf.94.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: EToys-bf.94
>>> Author: bf
>>> Time: 11 March 2013, 1:11:38.945 am
>>> UUID: 4abe21cf-5215-40c9-8371-07b6a9e09b81
>>> Ancestors: EToys-fbs.93
>>>
>>> Bring in some classes and methods from the Etoys image so that project loading gives a meaningful error, not just 'unknown class'. See ReleaseBuilderSqueakland>>buildInitialScreen
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against EToys-fbs.93 ===============
>>
>> This has several missing classes, I just discovered: SExpElement,
>> EToyExpressionTransformer2 and SugarPropertiesNotification.
>>
>> I only just noticed now because
>> Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared often fails for spurious
>> reasons (discussed at length elsewhere).
>
> I hit "send" too soon. It bothers me that Bert didn't get told that he
> was about to add missing class definitions. I understand that they
> weren't missing in his image, but it'd be really nice if something
> somewhere could have told Bert "you've forgotten some classes". The
> current "commit and see what CI says" mechanism is suboptimal.

They're not in my image either. The mechanism to inform me is the undeclared warning that gets logged to the transcript. And I ignored it because this is work in progress.

- Bert -

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
I understand how this can be frustrating for Frank :(
His efforts for having the CI server working could supposedly be rewarded by correction of errors and regressions soon after their introduction...
Unfortunately, it's precisely the time chosen by Bert and Colin for introducing longer term work in progress in trunk.
We are less patient than we used to be :)

2013/4/10 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
On 10.04.2013, at 05:45, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 April 2013 13:42, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11 March 2013 00:11,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Bert Freudenberg uploaded a new version of EToys to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/EToys-bf.94.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: EToys-bf.94
>>> Author: bf
>>> Time: 11 March 2013, 1:11:38.945 am
>>> UUID: 4abe21cf-5215-40c9-8371-07b6a9e09b81
>>> Ancestors: EToys-fbs.93
>>>
>>> Bring in some classes and methods from the Etoys image so that project loading gives a meaningful error, not just 'unknown class'. See ReleaseBuilderSqueakland>>buildInitialScreen
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against EToys-fbs.93 ===============
>>
>> This has several missing classes, I just discovered: SExpElement,
>> EToyExpressionTransformer2 and SugarPropertiesNotification.
>>
>> I only just noticed now because
>> Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared often fails for spurious
>> reasons (discussed at length elsewhere).
>
> I hit "send" too soon. It bothers me that Bert didn't get told that he
> was about to add missing class definitions. I understand that they
> weren't missing in his image, but it'd be really nice if something
> somewhere could have told Bert "you've forgotten some classes". The
> current "commit and see what CI says" mechanism is suboptimal.

They're not in my image either. The mechanism to inform me is the undeclared warning that gets logged to the transcript. And I ignored it because this is work in progress.

- Bert -

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
Well, to be fair this is the right time to push longer term
work-in-progress stuff in trunk. Frustrated is my usual state :)

frank

On 11 April 2013 21:43, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand how this can be frustrating for Frank :(
> His efforts for having the CI server working could supposedly be rewarded by
> correction of errors and regressions soon after their introduction...
> Unfortunately, it's precisely the time chosen by Bert and Colin for
> introducing longer term work in progress in trunk.
> We are less patient than we used to be :)
>

> 2013/4/10 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>

>> > I hit "send" too soon. It bothers me that Bert didn't get told that he
>> > was about to add missing class definitions. I understand that they
>> > weren't missing in his image, but it'd be really nice if something
>> > somewhere could have told Bert "you've forgotten some classes". The
>> > current "commit and see what CI says" mechanism is suboptimal.
>>

>> They're not in my image either. The mechanism to inform me is the
>> undeclared warning that gets logged to the transcript. And I ignored it
>> because this is work in progress.
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
Version bf.95 gets rid of the undeclareds. Let's see how the build server likes that.

I'll try to be more careful, because these ones weren't really necessary, just sloppiness on my part.

- Bert -

On 11.04.2013, at 13:46, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, to be fair this is the right time to push longer term
> work-in-progress stuff in trunk. Frustrated is my usual state :)
>
> frank
>
> On 11 April 2013 21:43, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I understand how this can be frustrating for Frank :(
>> His efforts for having the CI server working could supposedly be rewarded by
>> correction of errors and regressions soon after their introduction...
>> Unfortunately, it's precisely the time chosen by Bert and Colin for
>> introducing longer term work in progress in trunk.
>> We are less patient than we used to be :)

>>> They're not in my image either. The mechanism to inform me is the
>>> undeclared warning that gets logged to the transcript. And I ignored it
>>> because this is work in progress.
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/263/testReport/Tests.Release/ReleaseTest/testUndeclared/

- Bert -

On 11.04.2013, at 15:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Version bf.95 gets rid of the undeclareds. Let's see how the build server likes that.
>
> I'll try to be more careful, because these ones weren't really necessary, just sloppiness on my part.
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 11.04.2013, at 13:46, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, to be fair this is the right time to push longer term
>> work-in-progress stuff in trunk. Frustrated is my usual state :)
>>
>> frank
>>
>> On 11 April 2013 21:43, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I understand how this can be frustrating for Frank :(
>>> His efforts for having the CI server working could supposedly be rewarded by
>>> correction of errors and regressions soon after their introduction...
>>> Unfortunately, it's precisely the time chosen by Bert and Colin for
>>> introducing longer term work in progress in trunk.
>>> We are less patient than we used to be :)

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Well, to be fair this is the right time to push longer term
> work-in-progress stuff in trunk. Frustrated is my usual state :)

Code which has known issues should go into the Inbox. The Trunk is for
code which is ready for consumption. It doesn't mean that work-in-progress
stuff shouldn't be in the Trunk, but it should be done in a way that
doesn't break stuff intentionally, unless it's unavoidable.

http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

Levente

> frank
>
> On 11 April 2013 21:43, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I understand how this can be frustrating for Frank :(
>> His efforts for having the CI server working could supposedly be rewarded by
>> correction of errors and regressions soon after their introduction...
>> Unfortunately, it's precisely the time chosen by Bert and Colin for
>> introducing longer term work in progress in trunk.
>> We are less patient than we used to be :)

>>> They're not in my image either. The mechanism to inform me is the
>>> undeclared warning that gets logged to the transcript. And I ignored it
>>> because this is work in progress.
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: The Trunk: EToys-bf.94.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On 12.04.2013, at 09:45, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Well, to be fair this is the right time to push longer term
>> work-in-progress stuff in trunk. Frustrated is my usual state :)
>
> Code which has known issues should go into the Inbox. The Trunk is for code which is ready for consumption. It doesn't mean that work-in-progress stuff shouldn't be in the Trunk, but it should be done in a way that doesn't break stuff intentionally, unless it's unavoidable.
>
> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/
>

> Levente

+1

- Bert -