Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Harness, Kathleen
Steve,
This is a great tool! Thanks very much.
The shared flap version works well and I have images of a six page book with one click . . . very useful.
My computer is a Toshiba running Windows 7 Home Version. In one of my tries I got an abandon message which I attached.
Regards,
Kathleen

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Steve Thomas
How can I detect if a player variable is a book object? (sometimes it is hard to click on the book and if you get another object and try to run the script an exception is thrown).

I was also going to ask how I can handle exceptions in my script and where to get a list of exceptions that could be thrown, but that is a much bigger question ;)

Stephen

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>   ExternalName for your Book object).
>   Stephen
>   On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>   <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     On 01.04.2011, at 08:52, Steve Thomas wrote:
>
>     > How can I (easily, a script would be fine ;)
>     export an image of each page in a book in Etoys?
>     (ideally with the image names being the
>     projectName<Number of page>)
>
>     Put this in a textual script for the book:
>
>     self costume pages withIndexDo: [:page :i |
>     PNGReadWriter putForm: page imageForm onFileNamed:
>     Project current name , i asString , '.png']
>
>     Some requests are easy to satisfy ;)
>     > I want to try using this to create flikr stream
>     of lessons and to post in blog posts.
>
>     Even this could be automated. But it's not going
>     to be a one-liner.
>
>     - Bert -

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Bert Freudenberg
On 04.04.2011, at 15:20, Steve Thomas wrote:

How can I detect if a player variable is a book object? (sometimes it is hard to click on the book and if you get another object and try to run the script an exception is thrown).

(var costume class isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]

If you wanted to make it more "user friendly" you could also click on something inside the book and then look up the book itself in the owner chain:

var costume ownerThatIsA: BookMorph

I was also going to ask how I can handle exceptions in my script and where to get a list of exceptions that could be thrown, but that is a much bigger question ;)

Indeed ;)

- Bert -

On 04.04.2011, at 14:49, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve,
> This is a great tool! Thanks very much.
> The shared flap version works well and I have images of a six page book with one click . . . very useful.
> My computer is a Toshiba running Windows 7 Home Version. In one of my tries I got an abandon message which I attached.

This happened after you got a warning that a file with the same name already exists. The error dialog title is "Please close this to abort file opening", which you simply should do ;)

- Bert -

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04.04.2011, at 15:20, Steve Thomas wrote:

How can I detect if a player variable is a book object? (sometimes it is hard to click on the book and if you get another object and try to run the script an exception is thrown).

(var costume class isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]

So I got this code to work (simple test where I "croak" if book and "chomp" if Not):
script1
(self getMyPlayer costume isKindOf: BookMorph)
ifTrue: [self beep: 'croak']
ifFalse: [self beep: 'chomp']

But when I add the word class it does NOT croak even if I have the player set to a bookMorph
script1
(self getMyPlayer costume class isKindOf: BookMorph)
ifTrue: [self beep: 'croak']
ifFalse: [self beep: 'chomp']

So I assume the above is okay.

Stephen

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Scott Wallace
On Apr 4, 2011, at 7:09 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 04.04.2011, at 15:20, Steve Thomas wrote:
>
>> How can I detect if a player variable is a book object? (sometimes it is hard to click on the book and if you get another object and try to run the script an exception is thrown).
>
> (var costume class isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]

This should be simply

        (var costume isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]

i.e. the "class" shouldn't be there.

Also, for completeness, perhaps the "best" version would be:

        (var costume renderedMorph isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]

... because this will work even if the BookMorph has been rotated ;-)

Cheers,

  -- Scott

On 04.04.2011, at 19:09, Scott Wallace wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2011, at 7:09 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On 04.04.2011, at 15:20, Steve Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> How can I detect if a player variable is a book object? (sometimes it is hard to click on the book and if you get another object and try to run the script an exception is thrown).
>>
>> (var costume class isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]
>
> This should be simply
>
> (var costume isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]
>
> i.e. the "class" shouldn't be there.

Oops.

> Also, for completeness, perhaps the "best" version would be:
>
> (var costume renderedMorph isKindOf: BookMorph) ifTrue: [...]
>
> ... because this will work even if the BookMorph has been rotated ;-)

You're right, of course :)

- Bert -

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Steve Thomas
So, I have the following script:
script5
(myPlayer costume renderedMorph isKindOf: BookMorph)
ifTrue: [self beep: 'croak']
ifFalse: [(myPlayer costume renderedMorph ownerThatIsA: BookMorph)
ifNil: [self beep: 'chomp']
ifNotNil: [self beep: 'croak']]

It will "croak" if I click on a BookMorph or any object contained inside the BookMorph. So far so good.

Now how go I set my myPlayer variable to the BookMorph in its "owner chain" (if that's the common terminology)?

Stephen

On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Steve Thomas wrote:

> Now how go I set my myPlayer variable to the BookMorph in its "owner chain" (if that's the common terminology)?

        myPlayer := (myPlayer costume ownerThatIsA: BookMorph) topRendererOrSelf player.

Cheers,

  -- Scott

PS:  That "topRendererOrSelf" call is just bulletproofing against the possibility that the containing book is rotated.

PPS:  "owner chain" *is* the common terminology ;-)

On 04.04.2011, at 20:12, Scott Wallace wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Steve Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Now how go I set my myPlayer variable to the BookMorph in its "owner chain" (if that's the common terminology)?
>
> myPlayer := (myPlayer costume ownerThatIsA: BookMorph) topRendererOrSelf player.

... and with a bit of bullet-proofing:

script5
        (myPlayer costume renderedMorph isKindOf: BookMorph)
                ifFalse: [(myPlayer costume ownerThatIsA: BookMorph)
                        ifNotNilDo: [:book | myPlayer := book topRendererOrSelf assuredPlayer]]

- Bert -

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Steve Thomas
Many thanks to Scott and Bert, we now have a "Kid Friendly" "bullet-proof' (except for bugs I introduced) tool to export images.

Stephen