Re: VM crash on macOS when maximising with Moom

bpi

Re: VM crash on macOS when maximising with Moom

bpi

Dear VM developers,

An old crash which had been fixed before seems to be back in the latest VM. [1] [2]

I am on a MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G2022) and use an external 30" Cinema Display with a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

I can reliably reproduce the crash:
1. I downloaded the latest 64bit VM package from yesterday's build 2019-12-30. [3]
2. I copy out the image, changes and sources file from Contents/Resources.
3. I start the image by dragging it over the VM.
4. I move the window a bit by dragging the title bar.
5. I hover over the green window button and click the leftmost Moom popup menu button for maximising. [4]
6. The VM crashes. See the attached crash.dmp.

Observations which might be interesting:
The crash happens not always but most of the time.
If I don't move the window before trying to maximise the crash does not happen.
The crash does not happen on the internal Retina display with the same resolution.

Is there anything I can try to get more debug information?

[1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/263
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2016-December/023764.html
[3] http://files.squeak.org/5.3beta/Squeak5.3beta-19301-64bit/Squeak5.3beta-19301-64bit-201911282316-macOS.dmg
[4]
PastedGraphic-1.png

> Am 09.12.2016 um 16:13 schrieb Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear VM developers,
>
> I would like to help debug this. I built my own VM (macOS Sierra 10.12.1, Xcode 8.1 (8B62)). However, even when I use the debug VM (CocoaDebug.app) I don’t get more information on the command line than in the crash.dmp.
>
> I am a newbie when it comes to VM building and debugging. How can I help in the best way? Is there a way to debug this using Xcode?
>
> Bernhard
>
> <crash.dmp>
>
>> Am 03.12.2016 um 22:42 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just had this crash again using the latest Cog Spur VM [1] and the latest trunk image 16852 [2]. I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555) on a MacBookPro11,1.
>>
>> Have other Mac users seen this type of crash?
>>
>> I use Magnet instead of Moom and that seems to be working just fine. However, my current default VM crashes every now and then randomly, but I need to upgrade to a later build to see if this has been fixed.
>>

>> [1] https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file?file_path=cog_macos32x86_squeak.cog.spur_201611292325.tar.gz
>> [2] http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-16852-32bit/Squeak6.0alpha-16852-32bit.zip
>>

>>> Am 03.07.2016 um 21:55 schrieb John McIntosh <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Thanks, this appears to be a problem between the window size that Squeak thinks the screen is, versus the size that open/GL thinks the size is. I had made some changes earlier this summer to handle resizing (manually). Obviously this crash gets triggered by Moom which doesn't follow the manual resize use pattern.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear VM developers,
>>>
>>> I can reliably crash the latest stable CogSpur.r3732.app using the Squeak5.1-15113.image when I resize it with Moom (http://manytricks.com/moom/) right after starting the image. I tried to reproduce it by resizing it manually without Moom. I *think* it happened occasionally when resizing manually, but I could not reproduce it today.
>>>
>>> Versions up to r3427 do not crash. The crash happens starting with version r3602.
>>>
>>> With the latest unstable version 201606301459 built by Travis the crash still happens.
>>>
>>> I attach the crash dump for version r3732. Maybe it is helpful.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your work!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bernhard
>>>

>>> --
>>> John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

crash.dmp (12K) Download Attachment

Re: VM crash on macOS when maximising with Moom

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Bernard,

    thanks.  I expect this is relayed to Ronie’s Metal changes.  Synchronizing rendering and resize is tricky.  He fixed a related crash we had a few weeks ago.  Can you create this as an issue on OpenSmalltalk-VM?  If you can please do so, otherwise I will.