Re: [Vm-dev] Re: modules, plugins, primitives, and MIDIPlugin

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: modules, plugins, primitives, and MIDIPlugin

Bert Freudenberg
On May 21, 2007, at 14:44 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>> there is now a MIDI-enabled VM for linux at:
>> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
>>
>> it was built by Cesare Marilungo
>>
> That's great. Can we move this code into the main so that it will be
> available? What do we need to do to make this available for all? I
> guess
> this is a question for Ian.

Is this different from what is in the SVN repository now?

http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/
MIDIPlugin/sqUnixMIDIALSA.inc?rev=1623&view=auto

- Bert -

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: modules, plugins, primitives, and MIDIPlugin

Cesare Marilungo
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On May 21, 2007, at 14:44 , Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>> there is now a MIDI-enabled VM for linux at:
>>> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
>>>
>>> it was built by Cesare Marilungo
>>>
>> That's great. Can we move this code into the main so that it will be
>> available? What do we need to do to make this available for all? I guess
>> this is a question for Ian.
>
> Is this different from what is in the SVN repository now?
>
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin/sqUnixMIDIALSA.inc?rev=1623&view=auto
>

> - Bert -

No, I've just built a binary from a recent svn version.

c.

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: modules, plugins, primitives, and MIDIPlugin

Brad Fuller-3
Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> That's great. Can we move this code into the main so that it will be
>>> available? What do we need to do to make this available for all? I
>>> guess
>>> this is a question for Ian.
>>
>> Is this different from what is in the SVN repository now?
>>
>> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin/sqUnixMIDIALSA.inc?rev=1623&view=auto
>>

>> - Bert -
>>

> No, I've just built a binary from a recent svn version.
At the very least it would be appropriate to have the new Midi plugin
available for the masses. I'm suggesting to make this plugin available
when people download the standard Linux VM. As it is,  msgs are sent out
by users complaining that Midi doesn't work. Why? If I'm not mistaken,
the midi plugin that is currently distributed is the old one that
contains stubs. The one Cesare built is the one from the OLPC branch.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

brad

--
brad fuller
 website:  www.bradfuller.com

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: modules, plugins, primitives, and MIDIPlugin

Lex Spoon-3
Brad Fuller <[hidden email]> writes:
> At the very least it would be appropriate to have the new Midi plugin
> available for the masses. I'm suggesting to make this plugin available
> when people download the standard Linux VM. As it is,  msgs are sent out
> by users complaining that Midi doesn't work. Why? If I'm not mistaken,
> the midi plugin that is currently distributed is the old one that
> contains stubs. The one Cesare built is the one from the OLPC branch.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder, too, why the Debian packages linked via www.squeakvm.org are
many years out of date, given all of Matej's work.  Contributing to
Squeak can be discouraging!

Anyway, it looks like there is an opportunity.  If someone wanted to
integrate all of the various patches there are to the Unix port, and
then post a combined VM for the masses, that would a really great
service.  In addition to the MIDI update, you should be sure and look
at the patches in Matej's Debian packages.

Lex