Re: What are the pending fixes for VMMaker

Re: What are the pending fixes for VMMaker

stéphane ducasse-2
>> Hi tim
>>
>> I'm quite in rush in this moment, but I would like to take some
>> time to add the pending fixes for VMMaker or related.
>> Could you help me by sending me a list of issues (or mantis links)?
> Sure; sorry for the delay but you know what work can be like.

NOoooooooo
I'm an academic and this is well-know we are getting paied to do
nothing.

> Attached:-
> important
> VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs - really ought to go into 3.8 update
> stream as well as 3.9
> VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs - ditto

Ok I will see and push these two.
But I really have enough to deal with 3.9a and I would like to avoid
to maintain 3.8

> usefull cleanups
> RemoveLeftoverVMMbits-38b4.1.cs - cleans out some leftover vmm
> methods that shouldn't be in the image
> WideStringPrimKill.1.cs - performance cleanup of left over string
> rework.
> LocalePluginAddins.1.cs - change methods to make use of
> LocalePlugin if it exists.
>
> Warning! I haven't had any opportunity to try these in a 3.9 image.
> The first two won't be any problem since they add to classes that
> shouldn't have changed.

I will try and let you know.
Thanks a lot.

Stef

> <LocalePluginAddins.1.cs>
> <RemoveLeftoverVMMbits-38b4.1.cs>
> <VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs>
> <VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs>
> <WideStringPrimKill.1.cs>
>

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: HAL: Murder Operator

Re: 3.8.1 update help

stéphane ducasse-2
mike
could you let us know what you will include in 3.8 so that we push it
also in 3.9

Tx

On 17 janv. 06, at 13:40, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
>> Guys,
>> Some more wishes for 3.8[.1]:
>> - There are also some fixes for YAXO, to make it work with
>> WideStrings.
>> I tested them and they work fine.
>
> I think they should be in
> http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/XMLSupport/XML-Parser-mir.3.mcz
> already.
>
> If you send me the other change sets I will take a look at those. I
> would prefer though to have only changes in 3.8 that are also in 3.9.
>
> Michael

Re: 3.8.1 update help

stéphane ducasse-2
Mike

if in the process you identify some 3.8 or squeakland changes that
are not in 3.9.
Please keep track of them so that we harvest them in 3.9 too.
I should work this week end too (so in case I will be there).

Stef

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> mike
>> could you let us know what you will include in 3.8 so that we push
>> it  also in 3.9
>
> Sure :-)
> Will do a first batch over the weekend, especially going through
> squeakland updates.
>
> Michael

Re: 3.8.1

Marcus Denker

On 08.02.2006, at 16:40, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just add the updates listed below to the 3.8 update stream.
> I tagged it 3.8.1 for now so we can test it first.
>
> Please do
> SystemVersion newVersion: 'Squeak3.8.1'.
> in a workspace, then fetch updates.
>
> Let me know of any problems, fixes I missed etc.
>
> 6682MiscFixes-md.cs

that one deletes the proxy editor, i think we should keep in 3.8
(in 3.9, it's integrated with Preferences)

> 6690GradientCache-efc.cs

seems to not really do the change it's supposed to do (only
edits the class comment in my image). Strange...

rest looks good.

        Marcus

Re: 3.8.1

stéphane ducasse-2
Thanks Mike
I will try to have a look soon (no time today)
On 8 févr. 06, at 16:40, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just add the updates listed below to the 3.8 update stream.
> I tagged it 3.8.1 for now so we can test it first.
>
> Please do
> SystemVersion newVersion: 'Squeak3.8.1'.
> in a workspace, then fetch updates.
>
> Let me know of any problems, fixes I missed etc.
>
> If everything is ok I'll move the update to the 3.8 section.
>
> Michael
>
> ----------------------------
>

> #Squeak3.8.1
> 6668SysNavFix-ar.cs
> 6669VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs
> 6669VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs
> 6672CleanupUserObjects-dew.cs
> 6682MiscFixes-md.cs
> 6687HTTPSocket.cs
> 6690GradientCache-efc.cs
> 6730DebuggerFix-dgd.cs
> 6731FasterRectangelInsetBy.cs
> 6732FlapTab.MAL.cs
> 6733LocalePluginAddins.cs
> 6734LowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-2-dtl.cs
> 6735RemoveLeftoverVMMbits-38b4.cs
> 6736SymbolPrims-ar.cs
> 6737VMMLowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-2-dtl.cs
> 6738WideStringPrimKill.cs

Re: 3.8.1

stéphane ducasse-2
Marcus

how do we proceed then, you apply the changes in 3.9 (while I work on
the paper :))

Stef

On 8 févr. 06, at 17:08, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 08.02.2006, at 16:40, Michael Rueger wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> just add the updates listed below to the 3.8 update stream.
>> I tagged it 3.8.1 for now so we can test it first.
>>
>> Please do
>> SystemVersion newVersion: 'Squeak3.8.1'.
>> in a workspace, then fetch updates.
>>
>> Let me know of any problems, fixes I missed etc.
>>
>> 6682MiscFixes-md.cs
>
> that one deletes the proxy editor, i think we should keep in 3.8
> (in 3.9, it's integrated with Preferences)
>
>> 6690GradientCache-efc.cs
>
> seems to not really do the change it's supposed to do (only
> edits the class comment in my image). Strange...
>
> rest looks good.
>
>        Marcus

Re: 3.8.1

Marcus Denker

On 08.02.2006, at 18:26, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Marcus
>
> how do we proceed then, you apply the changes in 3.9

Ok. And I make a fixed  cs for the gradientcaching for 3.8 (that was
a cool hack... the cache has a hit-rate of >96%. e.g. all the invertions
when going with the mouse over a menu...)

> (while I work on the paper :))

Good!

      Marcus

Re: 3.8.1

Marcus Denker

On 08.02.2006, at 16:40, Michael Rueger wrote:

> 6737VMMLowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-2-dtl.cs

That one should not go in, it's for VMmaker (the classes are
not in 3.8, but in the VMmaker package).

I double-checked with 3.9a: all changesets listed are in 3.9a

      Marcus

Re: 3.8.1

Doug Way

Just trying to think of the best way to handle the updates.list update
stream file, since this is the first x.y.z post-release that we're
doing.

I think what you propose sounds about right, once we think the updates
are sufficiently tested.  But I think we'd still want the update stream
to mark everyone's image as 3.8.1 after those updates are done?  So
you'd add a 6739UpdateTo381-mir.cs at the end in there which would do
the newVersion:.

So, the updates.list file would look like this after you were done:

6663shadowFix-bf.cs
6664symbolFixes-ar.cs
6665advance38final.cs
#Squeak3.8
6668SysNavFix-ar.cs
6669VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs
6669VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs
6672CleanupUserObjects-dew.cs
6682MiscFixes-md.cs
6687HTTPSocket.cs
6690GradientCache-efc.cs
6730DebuggerFix-dgd.cs
6731FasterRectangelInsetBy.cs
6732FlapTab.MAL.cs
6733LocalePluginAddins.cs
6734LowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-2-dtl.cs
6735RemoveLeftoverVMMbits-38b4.cs
6736SymbolPrims-ar.cs
6737VMMLowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-2-dtl.cs
6738WideStringPrimKill.cs
6739UpdateTo381-mir.cs
#Squeak3.8.1
#Squeak3.9alphaold
6400RBAST-md.cs
6401RBParserRewriter.cs

Then, at some point in the future if we have a 3.8.2 release, we add
those updates after the #Squeak3.8.1 tag.

(Or, you could leave the #Squeak3.8.1 tag before these 3.8.1 updates and
insert a 6667UpdateTo381-mir.cs above that instead... either way would
work I guess.)

For reference, anyone can see the current updates.list file at
http://update.squeakfoundation.org/external/updates/updates.list

- Doug

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:40:23 +0100
From: Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <[hidden email]>,
   Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>,
   Diego Deck <[hidden email]>,
   "Squeak 3.9" <[hidden email]>,
   Tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>
Subject: 3.8.1

On 08.02.2006, at 19:49, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
>
>> (Or, you could leave the #Squeak3.8.1 tag before these 3.8.1
>> updates and
>> insert a 6667UpdateTo381-mir.cs above that instead... either way
>> would
>> work I guess.)
>
> We should tag the system 3.8.1 before the first update. So we
> exactly know what people are talking about when referring to 3.8 vs
> 3.8.1.
> Are we going to increase the 3.8.x every time we pst updates to 3.8?

I would say yes, patches should be batched, so ther will be not too
many 8.x releases.

      Marcus

Re: 3.8.1

Doug Way

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:58:08 +0100, "Marcus Denker" <[hidden email]>
said:

> On 08.02.2006, at 19:49, Michael Rueger wrote:
>
> > Doug Way wrote:
> >
> >> (Or, you could leave the #Squeak3.8.1 tag before these 3.8.1
> >> updates and
> >> insert a 6667UpdateTo381-mir.cs above that instead... either way
> >> would
> >> work I guess.)
> >
> > We should tag the system 3.8.1 before the first update. So we
> > exactly know what people are talking about when referring to 3.8 vs
> > 3.8.1.

Sounds good, we can go with that method.

> > Are we going to increase the 3.8.x every time we pst updates to 3.8?
> >

> I would say yes, patches should be batched, so ther will be not too
> many 8.x releases.
>
>       Marcus

I agree.  Once we decide 3.8.1 is ready, put it out there as 3.8.1.  (I
guess this includes updating the current-stable-release download links
on squeak.org.)

Then later on, if more bugs appear that need to be fixed, do another
batch of patches and call it 3.8.2.

- Doug

Re: 3.8.1

Marcus Denker

On 09.02.2006, at 19:15, Doug Way wrote:

> I agree.  Once we decide 3.8.1 is ready, put it out there as
> 3.8.1.  (I
> guess this includes updating the current-stable-release download links
> on squeak.org.)
>
> Then later on, if more bugs appear that need to be fixed, do another
> batch of patches and call it 3.8.2.

Another thing that could be useful: On Mantis, all bugs are now in
the 'Squeak'
category. Could we make 'squeak stable' and 'squeak unstable'?

The rational of this is that many bugs are both in 3.8 and 3.9, but
when/if
they are fixed are completely independend.

Besides that, there are some bugreports on mantis that are 3.8 only, but
are completely burried in the mess.
(e.g. the one about the welcome window links).

       Marcus