Re: formating animation, avatars, polygons, sub d and normal or displacement maps for

1 message Options

Re: formating animation, avatars, polygons, sub d and normal or displacement maps for

Mark P. McCahill

On May 26, 2006, at 11:06 AM, cherub wrote:

> also would like to bring better avatars and animations into croquet.
> can i be pointed in the right direction.

My group has been working on getting Croquet to understand
Wavefront .obj files
for more interesting avatar meshes. For animation we are using bvh
motion
capture files to define animation loops. The idea is that you might
use a tool
like Poser to create/manipulate avatar meshes and motion capture/
posing, then
export to .obj and .bvh for use in Croquet. I'd love to see some
existing content
imported into Croquet, which is why we decided to provide support of
these formats.

Right now we can import .obj and .bvh files and animate the avatar
when it walks or types, for instance. We have done absolutely zero
tuning of this code, so
the frame rates are much slower than they will be once we start
getting clever about
rendering efficiently. Look for a version with some performance
tuning in place next
week. A version WITHOUT any performance tuning is getting 5 fps, and
I know we can
do much, much better than that.

Going forward, one thing we could really use are some public-domain
Poser compatible
meshes/bvh motion. Anybody got some?