Re-newbie

Aidan Gauland-2
Hello Squeakers,

It's been over a year since I last used Squeak, so I have some new
newbie questions (as well as some old ones that I never really found
an answer to) that I have not been able to find an answer to on the
web.

1) How do I use/manage ChangeSets effectively?  (I never really
   understood them.)
2) Why has Tweak not replaced Morphic in Squeak?
3) In what ways is Pharo a fork and not just yet another Squeak image?
4) Should I use Cog or just stick with the official Squeak VM from
   squeakvm.org
5) Why is there a changes file if the image itself is modified?

Thanks,
Aidan

Re: Re-newbie

Janko Mivšek
Hi Aidan, welcome back!

Some answers follow:

On 28. 12. 2010 02:12, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> It's been over a year since I last used Squeak, so I have some new
> newbie questions (as well as some old ones that I never really found
> an answer to) that I have not been able to find an answer to on the
> web.
>
> 1) How do I use/manage ChangeSets effectively?  (I never really
>    understood them.)

Better start using Monticello for for managing your source, changesets
are actually hard to use. I use changesets in Squeak/Pharo only to
recover code changes after potential image crash.

> 2) Why has Tweak not replaced Morphic in Squeak?

I hope someone will answer that one.

> 3) In what ways is Pharo a fork and not just yet another Squeak image?

Pharo actually use the same VM, yes, so Pharo is fork only on image
level. Squeak and Pharo images also not differ too much yet. From end
user standpoint mostly on look&feel.

> 4) Should I use Cog or just stick with the official Squeak VM from
>    squeakvm.org

Only if your really need a speed, ue Cog at that time, otherwiser
rather start with official VM. One click images are the best bet. Cog
namelly still has some issues, so waiting a bit more is advisable.

> 5) Why is there a changes file if the image itself is modified?

Source of all code is in changes file, while in image there are aonly
pointers to the last version of each class/method.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Re-newbie

Aidan Gauland-2
Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek <at> eranova.si> writes:
> > 5) Why is there a changes file if the image itself is modified?
>
> Source of all code is in changes file, while in image there are aonly
> pointers to the last version of each class/method.

What about instances?  From what you said, I'm guessing that they are
stored in the image file.

Thanks very much for your helpful answers,
Aidan Gauland

Re: Re-newbie

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aidan Gauland-2 wrote
What about instances?  From what you said, I'm guessing that they are
stored in the image file.
That's right.  If you're just getting reacquainted with Squeak, you may find it valuable to skim the excellent (and free) Squeak By Example, which says:
3. The current system image is a snapshot of a running Squeak system, frozen in time. It consists of two files: an .image file, which contains the state of all of the objects in the system (including classes and methods, since they are objects too), and a .changes file, which contains a log of all of the changes to the source code of the system.
Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Re-newbie

Aidan Gauland-2
Sean P. DeNigris <sean <at> clipperadams.com> writes:

> Aidan Gauland-2 wrote:
> > What about instances?  From what you said, I'm guessing that they are
> > stored in the image file.
>
> That's right.  If you're just getting reacquainted with Squeak, you may find
> it valuable to skim the excellent (and free) Squeak By Example, which says:
>
> > 3. The current system image is a snapshot of a running Squeak system,
> > frozen in time. It consists of two files: an .image file, which contains
> > the state of all of the objects in the system (including classes and
> > methods, since they are objects too), and a .changes file, which contains
> > a log of all of the changes to the source code of the system.

I, actually, have read Squeak By Example.  I must have forgotten this
bit on the image and changes files.

Thanks for refreshing my memory,
Aidan