Re: smalltalk 80 : book : adele goldberg : relevant for squeak 'mvc'?

Re: smalltalk 80 : book : adele goldberg : relevant for squeak 'mvc'?

Michael Rice
The Smalltalk books (Goldberg, et al) were good for learning the language and getting around the Smalltalk environment but light on putting together an application with MVC. Amazon doesn't even have an entry for "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical Applications" listed shown on the back of my copy of "Smalltalk-80: The Interactive Programming Environment" suggesting that perhaps it was never published.

Try "Inside Smalltalk," available FREE  online, in pdf format. Index of second volume seems to have what you're looking for.

Michael

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello,

would the book "smalltalk 80: the language" by adele goldberg and david robson be still relevant with squeak using the 'mvc' environment?

my first guess is "yes", but better to ask the experts, hence this email. :)

thanks,

~mayuresh

Re: smalltalk 80 : book : adele goldberg : relevant for squeak 'mvc'?

Hannes Hirzel
And do not forget the archive of this mailing list. It has a LOT of
useful discussions and pointers. A compilation --- summary with links
to the relevant threads would be a good asset to have on the wiki. BTW
the wiki has a lot on MVC as well. Just needs to be unearthed and
cleaned up a bit....

--Hannes

On 9/9/14, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Smalltalk books (Goldberg, et al) were good for learning the language
> and getting around the Smalltalk environment but light on putting together
> an application with MVC. Amazon doesn't even have an entry for
> "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical Applications" listed
> shown on the back of my copy of "Smalltalk-80: The Interactive Programming
> Environment" suggesting that perhaps it was never published.
>
> Try "Inside Smalltalk," available FREE  online, in pdf format. Index of
> second volume seems to have what you're looking for.
>
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/InsideST/InsideSmalltalkII.pdf
>
> Michael
>

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> would the book "smalltalk 80: the language" by adele goldberg and david
>> robson be still relevant with squeak using the 'mvc' environment?
>>
>> my first guess is "yes", but better to ask the experts, hence this email.
>> :)
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> ~mayuresh

Re: smalltalk 80 : book : adele goldberg : relevant for squeak 'mvc'?

Hannes Hirzel
Here a few links

MVC
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1767
Last updated: 11 February 2014
Updated by: Tim Rowledge

MVC: one window one button
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/131
Last updated: 14 January 2006

How to use the MVC elements (an example)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/478
Last updated:  13 November 2007

FAQ: MVC Framework
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/777

Suggestion: Check the content and find out for which Squeak version it
applies and update the pages accordingly.

--Hannes

On 9/9/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And do not forget the archive of this mailing list. It has a LOT of
> useful discussions and pointers. A compilation --- summary with links
> to the relevant threads would be a good asset to have on the wiki. BTW
> the wiki has a lot on MVC as well. Just needs to be unearthed and
> cleaned up a bit....
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 9/9/14, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The Smalltalk books (Goldberg, et al) were good for learning the language
>> and getting around the Smalltalk environment but light on putting
>> together
>> an application with MVC. Amazon doesn't even have an entry for
>> "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical Applications"
>> listed
>> shown on the back of my copy of "Smalltalk-80: The Interactive
>> Programming
>> Environment" suggesting that perhaps it was never published.
>>
>> Try "Inside Smalltalk," available FREE  online, in pdf format. Index of
>> second volume seems to have what you're looking for.
>>
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/InsideST/InsideSmalltalkII.pdf
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> would the book "smalltalk 80: the language" by adele goldberg and david
>>> robson be still relevant with squeak using the 'mvc' environment?
>>>
>>> my first guess is "yes", but better to ask the experts, hence this
>>> email.
>>> :)
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> ~mayuresh

Re: smalltalk 80 : book : adele goldberg : relevant for squeak 'mvc'?

William Barnett-Lewis
I must admit that I've been lurking for years because of a lack of interest in morphic. This renewed discussion of MVC has me interested again and I've downloaded a copy of 4.5. Now if only I could could find the changes I once had that made the code in "A Taste of Smalltalk" work ;)

Back to lurk mode,

William

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
And do not forget the archive of this mailing list. It has a LOT of
useful discussions and pointers. A compilation --- summary with links
to the relevant threads would be a good asset to have on the wiki. BTW
the wiki has a lot on MVC as well. Just needs to be unearthed and
cleaned up a bit....

--Hannes

On 9/9/14, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Smalltalk books (Goldberg, et al) were good for learning the language
> and getting around the Smalltalk environment but light on putting together
> an application with MVC. Amazon doesn't even have an entry for
> "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical Applications" listed
> shown on the back of my copy of "Smalltalk-80: The Interactive Programming
> Environment" suggesting that perhaps it was never published.
>
> Try "Inside Smalltalk," available FREE  online, in pdf format. Index of
> second volume seems to have what you're looking for.
>
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/InsideST/InsideSmalltalkII.pdf
>
> Michael
>

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> would the book "smalltalk 80: the language" by adele goldberg and david
>> robson be still relevant with squeak using the 'mvc' environment?
>>
>> my first guess is "yes", but better to ask the experts, hence this email.
>> :)
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> ~mayuresh

Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
                Alex White

On 9/9/14, William Barnett-Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I must admit that I've been lurking for years because of a lack of interest
> in morphic. This renewed discussion of MVC has me interested again and I've
> downloaded a copy of 4.5. Now if only I could could find the changes I once
> had that made the code in "A Taste of Smalltalk" work ;)
>
> Back to lurk mode,

Welcome William, and hopefully not.

And I suggest that you ask questions at stackoverflow (SO) like this one

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/670727/writing-a-gui-in-squeak

It has a [squeak] and a [MVC] tag.
At the moment SO is not really used but having a few questions there
will be helpful as it is much easier to keep track of things there
then on this mailing list and the documentation value is higher
because of the automatic linking and navigation aids.

This is just a suggestion .... using this ML is surely preferred  to
just lurking.

--Hannes

On 9/9/14, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hannes, those are great links. many thanks for sharing them. :)

You are very welcome.
Sure but the effort in getting at them was as simple as using the
'search' command on the wiki and out of the 20..30 hits copy out the
links which seemed to be useful.

Contributions as small  as this can make a difference. So if you test
a code example and put a note about the version of Squeak and that
youo have retested it on the wiki page then that is a great
contribution for today.....

And as this is a beginner's list -- any question is welcome.

--Hannes