Re: squeak and midi on linux [SOLVED]

dabrowsa@indiana.edu
How did you do it?

I'm new to Squeak and OSC.  I'm running ubunutu 7.04 and I don't know
how to get OSC to communicate with Alsa.

Do you use PortMidi?  I have compiled the source files for that but I
don't know how to use it - for example, where do I put the .o files from
portmidi?

Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> I just wanted to tell you that I've finally managed to do what I need.
>
> I can make squeak talk to PureData via OSC and control other MIDI apps
> from there. Anyway one of the most interesting uses of squeak (and
> music) I can think about is to make GUIs and front-ends for PureData
> patches.
>
> c.
> --
> www.cesaremarilungo.com

dabrowsa.vcf (222 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Re: squeak and midi on linux [SOLVED]

Brad Fuller-3
Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
> How did you do it?
>
> I'm new to Squeak and OSC.  I'm running ubunutu 7.04 and I don't know
> how to get OSC to communicate with Alsa.
>
> Do you use PortMidi?  I have compiled the source files for that but I
> don't know how to use it - for example, where do I put the .o files from
> portmidi?
Andrew:

I don't know how you could communicate OSC with ALSA. The ALSA project
are drivers for audio cards. I didn't know they also supported OSC.
see: http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0

Markus (CC'd) created an OSC package for Squeak, last sept. You can load
it from SqueakMap.
I loaded the package but it doesn't seem to have much documentation,
neither does the Swiki:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5836

But, it's not very big at all and there are tests that could help you.

Also, you might contact Stephane (CC'd) as he is using it in his music
app mu0:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

Please keep your conversations in the SqueakAudio mailing list so we can
see what you're up to!

brad

> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>> I just wanted to tell you that I've finally managed to do what I need.
>>
>> I can make squeak talk to PureData via OSC and control other MIDI apps
>> from there. Anyway one of the most interesting uses of squeak (and
>> music) I can think about is to make GUIs and front-ends for PureData
>> patches.
>>
>> c.
>> --
>> www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: Re: squeak and midi on linux [SOLVED]

Cesare Marilungo
Andrew,
I'm so sorry. I had some problems with my ISP recently. I received many
duplicate messages and I missed your own.

Anyway, you can send OSC messages to an environment which supports both
OSC and Alsa MIDI (like PureData, CSound, SuperCollider and Chuck) and
translate them to MIDI.

You'll need Markus Gaelli OSC package, as Brad said.

I don't know about a way to send MIDI messages directly from Squeak on
Linux.

Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. I can make a
patch for one of the aforementioned softwares, if you want. Just tell me
which one of them you're more familiar with.

BTW, I've just published a bare bones tutorial (on my blog) about how to
interface Squeak and SuperCollider which covers:

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/blog/2007/05/09/integrating-squeak-and-supercollider

Cheers,

c.

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
>
>> How did you do it?
>>
>> I'm new to Squeak and OSC.  I'm running ubunutu 7.04 and I don't know
>> how to get OSC to communicate with Alsa.
>>
>> Do you use PortMidi?  I have compiled the source files for that but I
>> don't know how to use it - for example, where do I put the .o files from
>> portmidi?
>>
> Andrew:
>
> I don't know how you could communicate OSC with ALSA. The ALSA project
> are drivers for audio cards. I didn't know they also supported OSC.
> see: http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0
>
> Markus (CC'd) created an OSC package for Squeak, last sept. You can load
> it from SqueakMap.
> I loaded the package but it doesn't seem to have much documentation,
> neither does the Swiki:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5836
>
> But, it's not very big at all and there are tests that could help you.
>
> Also, you might contact Stephane (CC'd) as he is using it in his music
> app mu0:
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
>
> Please keep your conversations in the SqueakAudio mailing list so we can
> see what you're up to!
>
> brad
>

>> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>>
>>> I just wanted to tell you that I've finally managed to do what I need.
>>>
>>> I can make squeak talk to PureData via OSC and control other MIDI apps
>>> from there. Anyway one of the most interesting uses of squeak (and
>>> music) I can think about is to make GUIs and front-ends for PureData
>>> patches.
>>>
>>> c.
>>> --
>>> www.cesaremarilungo.com

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: Re: squeak and midi on linux [SOLVED]

dabrowsa@indiana.edu
Hello,

Thanks for your message.  The Squeak & SC page is interesting, that may
be helpful for me.

Do you know of any well-developed Squeak apps that use OSC to
communicate with the outside?  I was hoping to modify ScorePlayer for my
purposes, but that may not be easy because it does not seem currently to
have any OSC support.

Please keep us informed of the progress on your own projects!

Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Andrew,
> I'm so sorry. I had some problems with my ISP recently. I received many
> duplicate messages and I missed your own.
>
> Anyway, you can send OSC messages to an environment which supports both
> OSC and Alsa MIDI (like PureData, CSound, SuperCollider and Chuck) and
> translate them to MIDI.
>
> You'll need Markus Gaelli OSC package, as Brad said.
>
> I don't know about a way to send MIDI messages directly from Squeak on
> Linux.
>
> Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. I can make a
> patch for one of the aforementioned softwares, if you want. Just tell me
> which one of them you're more familiar with.
>
> BTW, I've just published a bare bones tutorial (on my blog) about how to
> interface Squeak and SuperCollider which covers:
>
> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/blog/2007/05/09/integrating-squeak-and-supercollider
>

> Cheers,
>
> c.
>
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
>>
>>> How did you do it?
>>>
>>> I'm new to Squeak and OSC.  I'm running ubunutu 7.04 and I don't know
>>> how to get OSC to communicate with Alsa.
>>>
>>> Do you use PortMidi?  I have compiled the source files for that but I
>>> don't know how to use it - for example, where do I put the .o files from
>>> portmidi?
>>>
>> Andrew:
>>
>> I don't know how you could communicate OSC with ALSA. The ALSA project
>> are drivers for audio cards. I didn't know they also supported OSC.
>> see: http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0
>>
>> Markus (CC'd) created an OSC package for Squeak, last sept. You can load
>> it from SqueakMap.
>> I loaded the package but it doesn't seem to have much documentation,
>> neither does the Swiki:
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5836
>>
>> But, it's not very big at all and there are tests that could help you.
>>
>> Also, you might contact Stephane (CC'd) as he is using it in his music
>> app mu0:
>> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
>>
>> Please keep your conversations in the SqueakAudio mailing list so we can
>> see what you're up to!
>>
>> brad

dabrowsa.vcf (222 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Re: squeak and midi on linux [SOLVED]

Stéphane Rollandin
Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
> Do you know of any well-developed Squeak apps that use OSC to
> communicate with the outside?  I was hoping to modify ScorePlayer for my
> purposes, but that may not be easy because it does not seem currently to
> have any OSC support.

muO does:

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

(I don't know if it's "well-developed" though)

regards,