classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [squeak-dev] Named serial port bug and how to contribute

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Richo,

see commit 128b467faf11cc491671e92b578edd0453827aab on opensmalltalk-vm.  If possible can you (along with a friend with a Mac if you don't have one) take a look at the code on MacOS X and update sqUnixSerial.c appropriately?  I'd love to play around with this on MacOS X but you know what you're doing so you could lead the way.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 5:25 PM Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I think I found a bug with the named serial ports in windows.
I can open a named port without problem the first time but if I close it and try to open it again it fails until I restart the image. This doesn't happen with numeric ports. I could reproduce this bug in both Squeak5.2 and Pharo6.1 (both using windows 8.1). 

I think the problem is that SerialPort>>#primClosePortByName: calls the "primitiveSerialPortCloseByName" but I couldn't find this primitive anywhere in the SerialPlugin source (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/src/plugins/SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.c). So I'm guessing that the port is never properly closed. 

I added the missing primitive (find attached) and recompiled the vm, and now it seems to work. So my question is: how can I contribute this small fix? Should I commit to the VM Maker Inbox repository? 

Thanks,
Richo

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [squeak-dev] Named serial port bug and how to contribute

Ricardo Moran

Hi Eliot, 

I would love to help but it could take me a while to get my hands on a Mac to test this. So I wouldn't advise you to rely on me for this.

Richo

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 6:42 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Richo,

see commit 128b467faf11cc491671e92b578edd0453827aab on opensmalltalk-vm.  If possible can you (along with a friend with a Mac if you don't have one) take a look at the code on MacOS X and update sqUnixSerial.c appropriately?  I'd love to play around with this on MacOS X but you know what you're doing so you could lead the way.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 5:25 PM Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I think I found a bug with the named serial ports in windows.
I can open a named port without problem the first time but if I close it and try to open it again it fails until I restart the image. This doesn't happen with numeric ports. I could reproduce this bug in both Squeak5.2 and Pharo6.1 (both using windows 8.1). 

I think the problem is that SerialPort>>#primClosePortByName: calls the "primitiveSerialPortCloseByName" but I couldn't find this primitive anywhere in the SerialPlugin source (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/src/plugins/SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.c). So I'm guessing that the port is never properly closed. 

I added the missing primitive (find attached) and recompiled the vm, and now it seems to work. So my question is: how can I contribute this small fix? Should I commit to the VM Maker Inbox repository? 

Thanks,
Richo

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot