Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/04/2013, at 10:53, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After line: p openPort: '/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21'., p in Cog is:
>       SerialPort(closed, 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stopbits, no parity)
> is closed because port is nil, in Squeak 4.2.5beta1U is:
>       SerialPort(#'/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21', 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stopbits, no parity)
> port is: '/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21'.
>
> I repeated my test with a virgin copy of Squeak4.4-12327 (before I was using 4.1 and 4.3), also with other macbook pro, the same error.

[cut...]

Well, I download the VM from www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/ and find that primitiveSerialPortOpenByName is not defined!.

In /Tools/Squeak/VMCog/platforms/unix/plugins/SerialPlugin/sqUnixSerial.c (included in the CoreVM. xcodeproj) the function serialPortOpenByName is defined, but is not "linked" with primitiveSerialPortOpenByName so the call (in Squeak) of primOpenPortByName: fail.

Ah, right.  That's because there is no support on Mac OS or Windows.  So wen I tried adding  primitiveSerialPortOpenByName it broke the builds on Windows and Mac.  If anyone has support files for those platforms I'll try again.

best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

EstebanLM

Hi Eliot,

we solved that (for mac) in our branch:

(we use same file for build mac and unix, see "BUILD_FOR_OSX" definition)

I think the old sources for windows should work (at least we didn't changed that, but didn't tested either :S)

cheers,
Esteban

On Apr 7, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/04/2013, at 10:53, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After line: p openPort: '/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21'., p in Cog is:
>       SerialPort(closed, 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stopbits, no parity)
> is closed because port is nil, in Squeak 4.2.5beta1U is:
>       SerialPort(#'/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21', 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stopbits, no parity)
> port is: '/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21'.
>
> I repeated my test with a virgin copy of Squeak4.4-12327 (before I was using 4.1 and 4.3), also with other macbook pro, the same error.

[cut...]

Well, I download the VM from www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/ and find that primitiveSerialPortOpenByName is not defined!.

In /Tools/Squeak/VMCog/platforms/unix/plugins/SerialPlugin/sqUnixSerial.c (included in the CoreVM. xcodeproj) the function serialPortOpenByName is defined, but is not "linked" with primitiveSerialPortOpenByName so the call (in Squeak) of primOpenPortByName: fail.

Ah, right.  That's because there is no support on Mac OS or Windows.  So wen I tried adding  primitiveSerialPortOpenByName it broke the builds on Windows and Mac.  If anyone has support files for those platforms I'll try again.

--
best,
Eliot

sqUnixSerial.c (13K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

David T. Lewis

The named serial primitives are supported on Windows and Unix, files
from SVN trunk attached. There is no support for Mac OS, but failing
the primitives is harmless so you can just implement it that way if
needed. The plugin should be merged from e.g. VMMaker-dtl.314

Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266.

Dave

serialplugin.tgz (8K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

EstebanLM

told you... we make it work for mac, with same sources as linux (just a couple of small changes)

On Apr 7, 2013, at 2:55 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The named serial primitives are supported on Windows and Unix, files
> from SVN trunk attached. There is no support for Mac OS, but failing
> the primitives is harmless so you can just implement it that way if
> needed. The plugin should be merged from e.g. VMMaker-dtl.314
>
> Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266.
>
> Dave
>

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:35:05AM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eliot,
>>
>> we solved that (for mac) in our branch:
>>

>> (we use same file for build mac and unix, see "BUILD_FOR_OSX" definition)
>>
>> I think the old sources for windows should work (at least we didn't changed that, but didn't tested either :S)
>>
>> cheers,
>> Esteban
>>

>> On Apr 7, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> [cut...]
>>>
>>> Well, I download the VM from www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/ and find that primitiveSerialPortOpenByName is not defined!.
>>>
>>> In /Tools/Squeak/VMCog/platforms/unix/plugins/SerialPlugin/sqUnixSerial.c (included in the CoreVM. xcodeproj) the function serialPortOpenByName is defined, but is not "linked" with primitiveSerialPortOpenByName so the call (in Squeak) of primOpenPortByName: fail.
>>>
>>> Ah, right.  That's because there is no support on Mac OS or Windows.  So wen I tried adding  primitiveSerialPortOpenByName it broke the builds on Windows and Mac.  If anyone has support files for those platforms I'll try again.
>>>

>>> --
>>> best,
>>> Eliot
>>

> <serialplugin.tgz>

Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

David T. Lewis

Thanks Esteban,

Sorry I do not know the Mac very well. Is this a file that should be added to
trunk/platforms/Mac OS/plugins/SerialPlugin? Or if it is a patch that should
go into the original unix branch, could you please send it to Ian?

Thanks,
Dave

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 02:57:29PM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> told you... we make it work for mac, with same sources as linux (just a couple of small changes)
>
> On Apr 7, 2013, at 2:55 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The named serial primitives are supported on Windows and Unix, files
> > from SVN trunk attached. There is no support for Mac OS, but failing
> > the primitives is harmless so you can just implement it that way if
> > needed. The plugin should be merged from e.g. VMMaker-dtl.314
> >
> > Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7266.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:35:05AM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Eliot,
> >>
> >> we solved that (for mac) in our branch:
> >>

> >> (we use same file for build mac and unix, see "BUILD_FOR_OSX" definition)
> >>
> >> I think the old sources for windows should work (at least we didn't changed that, but didn't tested either :S)
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >> Esteban

> > <serialplugin.tgz>

Re: [squeak-dev] Problem with SerialPort and Cog

EstebanLM

I take the file from platforms/unix/plugins/SerialPlugin

I mean, I build unix vm and mac vm using the same file :)

Esteabn