Re: [squeak-dev] VM sending keystrokes on mouse-wheel?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [squeak-dev] VM sending keystrokes on mouse-wheel?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Tom, Hi Chris,

see commit d964e7 which has the X11 code do the same as the iOS code.  I'd love it if someone who knows Windows would test the same thing there-on.  Also, are the "#ifndef NO_WHEEL_MOUSE" defines necessary (eg perhaps required for WINCE) ?  It would be lovely just to include the code unadorned by the noise, or to use something less tacky such as "#if defined(WM_MOUSEWHEEL)".  Chris, can you see if this fixes your issue?

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 7:16 PM Beckmann, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm also on Linux-x64, experiencing the same issue. If I'm not missing something, it should boil down to this PR https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/155/files​ and the fact that HandMorph>>filterEvent:for: only translate Ctrl+up/down, while passing on Ctrl+left/right as normal key events.

So the VM now generates Ctrl+left/right whenever you (accidentally) scroll horizontally, this moves the cursor by a word, which in turn instructs the text view to scroll back to the area where the cursor currently is.

Best,
Tom

From: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> on behalf of Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 3:50 AM
To: Chris Muller; The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] VM sending keystrokes on mouse-wheel?

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Surefire way to reproduce:
>
> Weird. Tried that and simply can't replicate it. What platform are you using?

Linux x64.

Give how little time there has been since the 20180726 VM, I hoped
Eliot would have a good suspect for the cause based on his knowledge
of the changes that went in since then, and  my account of the symptom.

I've gone back to the 20180726 VM on my machines but, IMO, this seems
significant enough to be worth fixing in the 5.2 release.  We could
simply revert to the VM we tested, 20180726.

I'm n to Aware off any changes to event handling in X11  between those two VMs.  Since the bug seems to be timing related it is not inconceivable that the issue iOS that the newer VM is faster and that hence the bug manifests because the newer VM is faster, not that it processes mouse wheel events any different. SO before we condemn the current VM can we please look for candidate changes and do some more careful analysis of the bug.  So far we're identifying symptoms not causes, and until the bug is explained simply reverting the VM is not being objective.

>
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Breakthrough: It finally booted on the first try.
>
>
>

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot