Re: [squeak-dev] new display driver for Syllable

Re: [squeak-dev] new display driver for Syllable

David T. Lewis

He Kelly,

(CC to the vm-dev list)

I don't know the answer to your question, but there is a separate mailing
list devoted to Squeak VM development that may be of some help.

- Dave

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:13:12AM -0600, Kelly Wilson wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I recently ported squeak to Syllable OS and it runs with vm-display-null and
> vm-sound-null just fine. Now I would like to develop the video driver for
> Syllable.unfortunately Syllable's windowing system is written in C++ and
> interfacing to it could be difficult (they may have a C interface set
> up.I'll check). As a backup I was wondering if I can just use SDL by
> modifying the vm-display-custom?
>

> I tried to modify the vm-display-custom code and it compiles fine with some
> SDL functionality but I have one weird problem. If I add any external call
> into the sqUnixCustomWindow.c file then compile/link/install it, the squeak
> module loader can't find vm-display-custom anymore. I can modify the file by
> adding some structures and functions local to the file but, like I said, if
> I call outside this file (and then include -lSDL or whatever when linking)
> then the loader just can't even see vm-display-custom.
>

> I can see display_custom and display_custom_itf with the 'nm' command and
> the format of the shared lib looks fine??? Does the loader look for
> something really specific about the libs size or something strange like
> that? I assume it dlopens() it.
>

> Thanks,
>
> K.Wilson
>

> P.S. I am sure that I have all the libs and things in the correct places
> because I can just recompile by commenting out my single external function
> call, recompile, reinstall and things work fine.

new display driver for Syllable

Kelly Wilson-2

Hey everyone,

I managed to figure this out. It seems that the vm-display-custom.la file
was not being properly output because of some Syllable weirdness. The -lSDL
library also wasn't being include correctly for the dynamic lib when being
built.

Anyways, I just looked at what Linux was doing and tried to build the custom
display by hand...this worked.

Thanks,
K.Wilson

P.S. I am sure other problems will pop up...I will post when appropriate.

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:13:12AM -0600, Kelly Wilson wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I recently ported squeak to Syllable OS and it runs with vm-display-null
and
> vm-sound-null just fine. Now I would like to develop the video driver for
> Syllable.unfortunately Syllable's windowing system is written in C++ and
> interfacing to it could be difficult (they may have a C interface set
> up.I'll check). As a backup I was wondering if I can just use SDL by
> modifying the vm-display-custom?
>

> I tried to modify the vm-display-custom code and it compiles fine with
some
> SDL functionality but I have one weird problem. If I add any external call
> into the sqUnixCustomWindow.c file then compile/link/install it, the
squeak
> module loader can't find vm-display-custom anymore. I can modify the file
by
> adding some structures and functions local to the file but, like I said,
if

> I call outside this file (and then include -lSDL or whatever when linking)
> then the loader just can't even see vm-display-custom.
>

> I can see display_custom and display_custom_itf with the 'nm' command and
> the format of the shared lib looks fine??? Does the loader look for
> something really specific about the libs size or something strange like
> that? I assume it dlopens() it.
>

> Thanks,
>
> K.Wilson
>

> P.S. I am sure that I have all the libs and things in the correct places
> because I can just recompile by commenting out my single external function
> call, recompile, reinstall and things work fine.

Re: new display driver for Syllable

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Kelly Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey everyone,

I managed to figure this out. It seems that the vm-display-custom.la file
was not being properly output because of some Syllable weirdness. The -lSDL
library also wasn't being include correctly for the dynamic lib when being
built.

Anyways, I just looked at what Linux was doing and tried to build the custom
display by hand...this worked.

For the record... that's really cool!

Gulik.

http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

RE: new display driver for Syllable

Kelly Wilson-2

Hey Gulik,

Thanks for the comment. I have improved this port for Syllable to the point where I can write directly to the screen using SDL. I only have a couple events being grabbed and my pixel translations seem to be off a little because everything is tinged blue??

There is also only an error box complaining that SqueakV39.sources can’t be found on the opening screen and another box saying “Reading in stream”? It seems like I am missing some code…do I have to fill in the ioPrintForm function and the clipboard functions for the screen updates to work correctly? I haven’t implemented those yet.

Thanks,

K.Wilson