Re: [squeakland] Browser Plugin fails

dcorking
Me too!

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Markus Schlager wrote (at
http://forum.world.st/Browser-Plugin-fails-fwd-td3357731.html )
> I'm using the current Etoys-To-Go-4.1.1 on ubuntu maverick with firefox
> 3.6.15.
>
> I ran the npetoysregister-script in order to register Etoys with firefox.

Unfortunately Markus I don't think the Firefox plugin is supported in
Etoys To Go, and the documentation discourages the plugin.

However please post if you do figure out what is wrong.

* <FORKING THE CONVERSATION> Meanwhile, the Firefox browser plugin in
the official Maverick Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10) package did not seem to
automatically install for me (on 32 bit x86), though it is only Etoys
4.0.

Unfortunately, I don't see any updates in the pipeline for the April
Ubuntu release (11.04 Natty Narwhal) but perhaps I looked in the wrong
places:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/etoys
http://packages.debian.org/sid/etoys
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/sugar-etoys-activity

If anyone has suggestions, please post. If it is only me that
experienced the plugin failure on the official package, then I won't
file a bug report with Ubuntu.

Re: [squeakland] Browser Plugin fails

Bert Freudenberg

On 16.03.2011, at 22:35, Markus Schlager wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>> On 15.03.2011, at 18:55, Markus Schlager wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using the current Etoys-To-Go-4.1.1 on ubuntu maverick with firefox 3.6.15.
>>>
>>> I ran the npetoysregister-script in order to register Etoys with firefox. The output was:
>>>
>>> ---8X----------------------------------------------
>>> „/home/markus/.mozilla/plugins/npetoys.so“ -> „/usr/local/share/Etoys-4.1.1.app/Contents/Linux-i686/npetoys.so“
>>> „/home/markus/.npsqueak/npetoysrun“ -> „/usr/local/share/Etoys-4.1.1.app/Contents/Linux-i686/npetoysrun“
>>> ---X8----------------------------------------------
>>
>> That does not look like a fresh Etoys-To-Go. Did you move it to /usr/local/share and rename? That's not a good idea, because the to-go version is set up to write its files next to its install location. Normally that is a USB stick, but your home directory would work as well. /usr/local won't work because it is write-protected.
>
> You're right, but it works fine. I altered these two lines in etoys.sh:
>
> ---8X-----------------------
> # editiert von Markus Schlager
> #export SQUEAK_SECUREDIR="$TOP/.etoys"
> #export SQUEAK_USERDIR="$TOP/Etoys"
> export SQUEAK_SECUREDIR="$HOME/.etoys"
> export SQUEAK_USERDIR="$HOME/Etoys"
>
> Meanwhile the plugin works, too. I had to alter these two lines in npetoysrun as well. That was all.
>
> Markus

Ah, great :)

I guess npetoysrun should execute etoys.sh, there is some duplication of functionality.

- Bert -