Re: squeakland plugin for unix

Brad Fuller
Hi All,

New to this list. I submitted the following email to squeak-dev.
Anyone here answer these?

=======================
a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone
in-the-know can answer:

Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
images?)

Is the vm different too? Or is the only difference the npspeak.so file
and the symbolic link it creates
 (e.g. create symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.5/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
 `/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so')

I'm afraid the squeakland vm will overwrite my current vm. Is that
needless worrying?
Can I run them independently (that is without changing directories and
creating links so they don't interfere in the "default" installation
process)

=======================

BTW: I receive this error:
'Error loading
http://www.squeakland.org/uploads/WeaselEssay1.015/resource.10.form

 when loading the project on this page:
http://www.squeakland.org/whatis/a_essays.html

Re: squeakland plugin for unix

Milan Zimmermann-2
Brad,

Just a note regarding the error you are getting loading the Evolution Essay
below:  I receive an error as well, but if I click "x" on the popup I am able
to get into and run it (although it seems I cannot use it interactively, e.g.
set my own goal at the end). Just wanted to let you know you can probably use
it if you do the same. (Very interesting essay , just got through it only
quickly). BTW, anyone knows what is the script used there - it look like
eToys but now the same as the eToys script I know - anyone can explain if
it's the newer or older version?

Regarding your question about how is the Squeakland image and VM different
form "regular" - I assume you are asking explicitly about Linux: I am using
Squeak on Linux but am not much qualified to answer your questions, but I see
you received no replies on the list so let me try my best - hopefully not
misrepresenting. Please see my notes inline:

On 2006 May 11 18:44, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> New to this list. I submitted the following email to squeak-dev.
> Anyone here answer these?
> =======================
> a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone
> in-the-know can answer:
> Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
> images?)

Probably somewhat different from the "development" "Squeak3.8-6665.image" but
close. I think many projects can be run using the 3.8-6665 image as your
plugin image.

To get back to "Squeakland image", on rpm-understanding Linuxes, the image can
be downloaded as the file "squeakland-3.8-1.noarch.rpm".This the rpm installs
(among some images etc) two important files

        /usr/share/squeak/SqueakPlugin.image
        /usr/bin/squeakland (link to /usr/share/squeak/npsqueakrun - more on this
later)

> Is the vm different too? Or is the only difference the npspeak.so file
> and the symbolic link it creates
>  (e.g. create symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.5/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
>  `/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so')

The VM on the squeakland site now is "squeak-vm-3.7i7sl-4.i386.rpm". I think
it is packaged differently from a "dev version of 3.7" VM. It installs, most
importantly, these files:

/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/squeak (exe)
/usr/bin/squeak (link to the above)
/usr/share/squeak/npsqueakregister
/usr/share/squeak/npsqueakrun (exe, linked from /usr/bin/squeakland )

Notice that the location of the "npsqueak*" files is same as location of
SqueakPlugin.image.

Now, the "Developement Version": Depending on your version of your
"developement Squeak VM + image", the locations where it installs are likely
different from where the Squeakland version installs, so it should NOT clash
and be overwritten by the "Squeakland versions" if you install both. Please
do not take only my word for it though, as I am typically using a different
setup (more below). For example, my "developement 3.9 VM" is now installed
in:

/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak (exe)
/usr/local/bin/squeak (link to above)
/usr/local/lib/sqeak/SqueakPlugin.image
/usr/local/lib/sqeak/npsqueakrun
/usr/local/lib/sqeak/npsqueakregister

So it seem if 3.9 VM+image is installed first, then "Squeakland", the only
thing potentially overwritten would be, after Squeakland's "npsqueakregister"
registers the plugin, your plugin would be the one from Squeakland which is
likely what you want.

Having said that, I typically try to use developement (non-squeakland) version
of VM with the Squeakland's plugin, I do something like this to get the
Squeakland image in my installs:
        1) Install the "dev" version of VM+Image
        2) Find, somewhere, the Squeakland version of SqueakPlugin.image (for example
by semi-installing Sqeuakland's squeakland-3.8-1.noarch.rpm).
        3) Copy the Squeakland's version of SqueakPlugin.image over the "developement
version", for example /usr/local/lib/sqeak/SqueakPlugin.image
        4) run the npsqueakregister

> I'm afraid the squeakland vm will overwrite my current vm. Is that
> needless worrying?
> Can I run them independently (that is without changing directories and
> creating links so they don't interfere in the "default" installation
> process)

As I suggested above I think you should be OK if you install both VMs and
image rpms, but please verify that (e.g. by looking at the target
directories, or asking someone more qualified than me :)  before taking the
leap.

Milan

> =======================
>
> BTW: I receive this error:
> 'Error loading
> http://www.squeakland.org/uploads/WeaselEssay1.015/resource.10.form
>
>  when loading the project on this page:
> http://www.squeakland.org/whatis/a_essays.html

Re: squeakland plugin for unix

Markus Schlager-2
On Sun, 21 May 2006, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On 2006 May 11 18:44, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > New to this list. I submitted the following email to squeak-dev.
> > Anyone here answer these?
> > =======================
> > a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone
> > in-the-know can answer:
> > Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
> > images?)
>
> Probably somewhat different from the "development" "Squeak3.8-6665.image" but
> close. I think many projects can be run using the 3.8-6665 image as your
> plugin image.

As it seems to me, there are mainly two differences:
- With squeaklands SqueakPlugin.image there's no need for a changes-file
SqueakPlugin.changes.
- The Squeakland-image shows different flaps, since it focuses pretty
much on eToys. But using the flap-manager it's possible to install the
standard-flaps as well.

Markus

On 2006 May 22 16:19, Markus Schlager wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2006, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > On 2006 May 11 18:44, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > New to this list. I submitted the following email to squeak-dev.
> > > Anyone here answer these?
> > > =======================
> > > a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone
> > > in-the-know can answer:
> > > Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
> > > images?)
> >
> > Probably somewhat different from the "development" "Squeak3.8-6665.image"
> > but close. I think many projects can be run using the 3.8-6665 image as
> > your plugin image.
>
> As it seems to me, there are mainly two differences:
> - With squeaklands SqueakPlugin.image there's no need for a changes-file
> SqueakPlugin.changes.
> - The Squeakland-image shows different flaps, since it focuses pretty
> much on eToys. But using the flap-manager it's possible to install the
> standard-flaps as well.

Markus, Sorry I forgot to follow up - yes, that's true. In general I assume
the Squeakland Image is minorly different from 3.8 , but I did not hit any
visible differences, it seems most of the squeakland code has been merged to
3.8.

Milan

Brad Fuller wrote:
> BTW: I receive this error:
> 'Error loading
> http://www.squeakland.org/uploads/WeaselEssay1.015/resource.10.form
>
>  when loading the project on this page:
> http://www.squeakland.org/whatis/a_essays.html

Is this project still available? I get a 404 when I:
wget http://www.squeakland.org/projects/Weasel%20Essay1.015.pr

For some reason, I have in the back of my mind that someone sent me this
project a while back. But, I can't find it anywhere.

if it is available, it might be nice to have this web page updated.

much obliged,
brad