classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
If you provide the script (i.e. version(s)) that you used and the platform(s) you successfully loaded/used the project on, I will update the configs...

We should have a central place to share these custom load scripts and results so that they can be mined by config maintainers.
prob would crowd the Metacello list too much.
maybe Dale will create a special list for it.
I'll cc the Metacello list...

On Jun 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K [via Smalltalk] wrote:

Digging through my so-called memory<g>, loading both Alien and Citezen required special attention.  Alien led to a broken image, and Citezen was simply tricky to load such that it would work.  Both required requesting specific versions in order to work.  

From: <a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email] [<a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]] on behalf of Sean P. DeNigris [<a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 8:08 PM
To: <a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=3" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
>
> But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing
> now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as
> worked months ago or months from now.

Absolutely! Two things about that:
* Metacello has no magic. Ultimately, what you correctly suggest requires
someone to test a project on a new platform and update the config... coming
soon and desperately needed: tools to help this process...
* we're all learning how to use Metacello... even as it evolves underneath
us!

If you experience something other than above, please post the specific
example so we can examine the configs and see what's going on...

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/start-thinking-on-summer-release-of-Pharo-1-4-tp4634589p4635050.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.world.st/start-thinking-on-summer-release-of-Pharo-1-4-tp4634589p4635057.html
To unsubscribe from start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4, click here.
NAML

Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM
ConfigurationOfOldAlien (yeah, that's the name) loads properly in 1.4 (and loads also FFI)

reason of that configuration is that Luc and Noury splitted Alien packages (IMHO, correctly), but then Eliot continue working in his new version of FFI with callbacks, etc, and now versions does not match. I created the ConfigurationOfOldAlien (unsplitted) who, curiously, loads new changes from Eliot :)

Esteban

On Jun 16, 2012, at 3:09 AM, DeNigris Sean wrote:

If you provide the script (i.e. version(s)) that you used and the platform(s) you successfully loaded/used the project on, I will update the configs...

We should have a central place to share these custom load scripts and results so that they can be mined by config maintainers.
prob would crowd the Metacello list too much.
maybe Dale will create a special list for it.
I'll cc the Metacello list...

On Jun 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K [via Smalltalk] wrote:

Digging through my so-called memory<g>, loading both Alien and Citezen required special attention.  Alien led to a broken image, and Citezen was simply tricky to load such that it would work.  Both required requesting specific versions in order to work.  

From: <a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email] [<a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]] on behalf of Sean P. DeNigris [<a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 8:08 PM
To: <a href="x-msg://38/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4635057&amp;i=3" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
>
> But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing
> now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as
> worked months ago or months from now.

Absolutely! Two things about that:
* Metacello has no magic. Ultimately, what you correctly suggest requires
someone to test a project on a new platform and update the config... coming
soon and desperately needed: tools to help this process...
* we're all learning how to use Metacello... even as it evolves underneath
us!

If you experience something other than above, please post the specific
example so we can examine the configs and see what's going on...

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/start-thinking-on-summer-release-of-Pharo-1-4-tp4634589p4635050.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.world.st/start-thinking-on-summer-release-of-Pharo-1-4-tp4634589p4635057.html
To unsubscribe from start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4, click here.
NAML