Re: web3d - x3d and Collada

Howard Stearns
I haven't been tracking the various 3D mesh format development
projects. I always just convert everything to .ase. (But I'm  lucky
enough to have a copy of 3DSMax.)

What is the use case you have in mind (for x3d or for collada)?

As to incorporating in a Web page, yes, this has been done.
A Squeak plugin for Windows  browsers already exists for http://
squeakland.org, and several of us have used this in earlier versions
with good results. I understand that there is also now a Squeak
plugin for Macintosh browser, but that it may or may not have issues
displaying the OpenGL graphics that Croquet depends on.

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:28 PM, haggai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new comer to the group. Could anyone please tell me if there
> is currently any development to allow collada to 'talk' to Croquet?
> If not, do you know of any plans to do so?

Re: web3d - x3d and Collada

Joshua Gargus-2
Neither Collada nor X3D is currently supported in Croquet.

Collada support is more interesting than X3D because the latter tries
to encompass everything that you might want to do in the world (and
Croquet has it's own ideas about how to do everything that you might
want to do), while the former is designed to be a 3D interchange
format.  Content creation tool vendors seem to be buying into
Collada, so it's definitely desirable for Croquet to support it.

I know that various people have made varying progress towards Collada
support; I'll let those people elaborate on their progress, if they
wish.

Josh

On Jan 11, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Howard Stearns wrote:

> I haven't been tracking the various 3D mesh format development
> projects. I always just convert everything to .ase. (But I'm  lucky
> enough to have a copy of 3DSMax.)
>
> What is the use case you have in mind (for x3d or for collada)?
>
> As to incorporating in a Web page, yes, this has been done.
> A Squeak plugin for Windows  browsers already exists for http://
> squeakland.org, and several of us have used this in earlier
> versions with good results. I understand that there is also now a
> Squeak plugin for Macintosh browser, but that it may or may not
> have issues displaying the OpenGL graphics that Croquet depends on.
>

> On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:36 PM, haggai wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I also want to ask about x3d (vrml successor):  any thought about
>> it? any discussions with the web3d consortium? Any plans to have a
>> "hybrid- Croquet" which may be incorporated into a web page? (it
>> seems to work for cars...)

> On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:28 PM, haggai wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new comer to the group. Could anyone please tell me if there
>> is currently any development to allow collada to 'talk' to
>> Croquet? If not, do you know of any plans to do so?

Re: web3d - x3d and Collada

Reed Hedges
Joshua Gargus wrote:
> Neither Collada nor X3D is currently supported in Croquet.
>
> Collada support is more interesting than X3D because the latter tries to
> encompass everything that you might want to do in the world (and Croquet
> has it's own ideas about how to do everything that you might want to
> do), while the former is designed to be a 3D interchange format.

You're right, but X3D is also useful as an interchange format. Subsets
of X3D are defined as different "profiles" that software can choose to
support; there is a basic geometry profile that omits all scripting and
animation.  X3D has the advantage of being an international standard
(this is important to government projects, as well as many business
projects), and in being really similar to VRML97, which lots of software
supports and is a long standing international standard as well.

Reed

Re: web3d - x3d and Collada

Howard Stearns
Standards and exchange formats are only relevant in context. E.g.,
should "Croquet support" http://www.asme.org/Codes/
International_Boiler_Pressure.cfm

That's why I'm curious about the use case.
   If you're building an application with a fixed set of mesh
content, you only need to get into into .ase or .vrml once and you're
done.
   If you're building hang-out site where pre-teen girls are going to
exchange content, then you only care about supporting whatever
neopets uses.
etc.