Reasoning behind World>>projects... and world>>Project menu items

Reasoning behind World>>projects... and world>>Project menu items

Brad Fuller-3
I assume that there is a very good reason why the 'World Menu' and the
Button-3 world menu (don't know what else to call it) have different
"Project" submenu items.

The World menu has a selection called "projects..."

The world menu (3rd button) has a cascading submenu called "Project"

Both contain 'project' items (like previous, next project) but I don't
understand what the logic was by having both of these being similar but
not quite the same.

The 'World>>projects...' selection brings up another menu that has the
following items, that are all Squeak Project specific:

------------------
save on server
save to a different server
save project on local file only
see if server version is more recent...
load project from file...
show project hierarchy
create new mvc project
create new morphic project
go to previous project
go to next project
jump to project...
save for future revert
revert to saved copy.
------------------

The 'world>>Projects' cascades a submenu that has the following items,
and they are not all Squeak Project specific:

------------------
open...
windows...
previous project
jump to project...
next project
find any file
find a project
new project
make new drawing
object catalog
object from paste buffer
undo <...>
view objects hierarchy
publish project
------------------

As I mentioned, I'm sure that this was well thought out, but I don't
understand the reasoning. Can someone explain it to me?
For instance, why items such as "object catalog" in the
'world>>Projects' menu? And, why doesn't "publish project" show up in
'World>>projects...' menu?

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: Reasoning behind World>>projects... and world>>Project menu items

Serge Stinckwich-4
Brad Fuller a écrit :

> I assume that there is a very good reason why the 'World Menu' and the
> Button-3 world menu (don't know what else to call it) have different
> "Project" submenu items.
>
> The World menu has a selection called "projects..."
>
> The world menu (3rd button) has a cascading submenu called "Project"
>
> Both contain 'project' items (like previous, next project) but I don't
> understand what the logic was by having both of these being similar but
> not quite the same.
>
> The 'World>>projects...' selection brings up another menu that has the
> following items, that are all Squeak Project specific:
>
> ------------------
> save on server
> save to a different server
> save project on local file only
> see if server version is more recent...
> load project from file...
> show project hierarchy
> create new mvc project
> create new morphic project
> go to previous project
> go to next project
> jump to project...
> save for future revert
> revert to saved copy.
> ------------------
>
> The 'world>>Projects' cascades a submenu that has the following items,
> and they are not all Squeak Project specific:
>
> ------------------
> open...
> windows...
> previous project
> jump to project...
> next project
> find any file
> find a project
> new project
> make new drawing
> object catalog
> object from paste buffer
> undo <...>
> view objects hierarchy
> publish project
> ------------------
>

> As I mentioned, I'm sure that this was well thought out, but I don't
> understand the reasoning. Can someone explain it to me?
> For instance, why items such as "object catalog" in the
> 'world>>Projects' menu? And, why doesn't "publish project" show up in
> 'World>>projects...' menu?

I agree, i think some work should be done in order to have more uniform
and well thought menus and sub-menus.

I put a project for a group of students in my departement university in
order to work in this task. It's not really a big and difficult task and
it could help beginners that start to use Squeak.

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##