Red screen-"Waiting to connect"

Jamey Osborne
Hello. I'm trying to open Croquet on a Mac OS X (10.4.8) install and
I get the exact same problem as Martin. Red screen, "waiting for
connection" and nothing further. I've used both the standard .image
file and the beta with OpenAL as well. Both give the same result.

Also, a minor issue is that I'm continually asked to update the same
package when I click Update. Is that normal?

I'm hoping to see what Croquet is all about but I need some help too!

Jamey Osborne
El Paso, TX

On Oct 31, 2006, at 5:28 AM, Martin Bleichner wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to get running croquet on my ubuntu dapper.
> When I start from the console:
> $ ./Croquet.sh
> Everything starts fine, but as soon as i click on
> Croquet(Master) or one of the other, I get the red sreen with
> 'waiting for connection'. But nothing else happens.  In the conosle
> I get the message:
> SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'.
>
> I have seen a similar thread in the forum but I cannot make sense
> of it. So would be nice to get some help.
>
> Thanks for you help
> martin

Re: Red screen-"Waiting to connect"

Howard Stearns
Some random facts which might or might not be at issue:

* You know that you don't just click on Croquet(Master) in the objects
bin, but that you drag one out and release it where you want it to be.

* "beta" (as I use the term) really means the image in the download. I
believe that there are currently no updates (i.e., "changesets" or
patches) I believe.  The beta image is "supposed to work", modulo your
machine setup for the following issues, below.

* The update button loads new fixes as "changeset" into the running
image. It doesn't save the image! So if there are any updates
(changeset) that get loaded when you hit the update button, you also
need to save the image. (This may sound kind of silly, but the reasoning
is that, as an SDK, developers need to be able to get updates and test
whatever it is that they've been building, without necessarily saving.
For end users, developer's will probably want to deliver a different
image that they know works, and which may or may not have a different
patching mechanism.)

* Remember that the current release is "Software Developer's Kit --
Beta". The new stuff in the repository is, in general, experts-only
stuff being prepared for a future release.  In general, one wouldn't
even discuss it all on "croquet-user," but rather on the developer's
list. However, I happen to know that the new packages all go together in
only a very particular way. For example, the movie on "updating your
image" is correct, and did tell the whole story at the time it was made,
but it doesn't tell the whole story with the package contents that are
there right now. If you haven't been using and programming Croquet for
some time, I suggest that you do NOT load new versions of packages just
yet. Wait a few weeks...

**** There's a lot of communication issues in talking to your OpenGL
graphics driver. With the right operating system libraries and graphics
card drivers and configuration for both, it all works well. Windows and
Mac have the operating system libraries set up pretty well. Linux
installations vary. I'm not a Linux expert, but there's been some
discussion of this on the developer's list. The graphics card drivers
also vary widely.

* OpenAL has vaguely similar issues, but that doesn't come into play on
Croquet(Master).

* The SocketPlugin issue is just a warning. I don't think it's the
problem here. There is a standard for how to set Socket options, but
every variation of operating system chooses to ignore the standard in a
different way. The Croquet code tries to follow the standard in a way
that should work everywhere, at the expense of sometimes doing more than
a given system actually requires or acts on.

-Howard

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison