Refactoring browser

12

Re: Refactoring browser

stephane ducasse
thanks this is a good suggestion.

Stef

On 12 oct. 07, at 17:44, Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:

> I don't know neither what Gwenaël's master dissertation is about
> nor what the effort would be, but I think that having a browser
> that can show you the changes a refactoring will perform before
> committing plus having the ability to select which of these changes
> apply or not would be really nice to have.
> I've been working in the refactoring engine for my dissertation too
> (trait aware refactorings).
> I also worked in the refactoring browser until I discovered the
> omnibrowser in the dev image which is far more better than the former.
> On my way I fixed (or at least I made them pass) several failing
> tests. Also, other tests required user input during the running and
> I improved them so they can run silently. May be many of them were
> already fixed by this moment.
> I have all of this in my image but I'm interested on joining the
> team responsible for this tool (if any)....how can I contribute
> with my two cents?
> Alejandro
>
> On 10/12/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email] > wrote:Please
> commit directly to the main repository.
>
> 2007/10/12, Gwenaël Casaccio < [hidden email]>:
> > Thanks, at this time I try to correct the different problems on the
> > refactoring browser unit tests.
> >
> > 2007/10/11, Damien Cassou < [hidden email]>:
> > > Hi Gwenaël,
> > >
> > > the project you are interested in is hosted on SqueakSource:
> > > http://www.squeaksource.com/RefactoringEngine.
> > >
> > > I think that the main target for this project is to clean the
> code and
> > > make the tests run.

> tools. Do you have
> better

> > > --
> > > Damien Cassou
> > >

> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: Refactoring browser

stephane ducasse
yes this is a quite difficult one. Bt indeed this would be sooooo great.

Stef

On 12 oct. 07, at 20:02, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/10/11, Gwenaël Casaccio <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi
>>
>> For my master dissertation I'll work on the refactoring tools. Do
>> you have
>> any suggestions to improve the refactoring browser and to add better
>> refactorings ?
>
> Kepp the formatting of methods.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Refactoring browser

stephane ducasse
chris

could you merge your changes on RB formatter. I know that gutenberg
could be used too.
Damien what is the status of gutenberg?
Because it would be cool to have a goo code formatter for squeak.

Stef

On 16 oct. 07, at 03:19, Chris Muller wrote:

> True, unless the code was formatted with the RB Formatter in the
> first place.
>
> I tweaked my image so that Alt+Shift+S RB formats and incorporated it
> into my "save gesture".  Therefore, as more of my code becomes
> formatted per the RB Formatter, the diffs are true.  I tweaked the RB
> Formatter to format in Rectangular Block recommended by Kent Beck.
>
> What's even MORE inconvenient is the way, starting in the 3.9 image,
> RB Formatter now strips (some) comments out of your code.  Not a very
> good thing to do, given the seeming high-advocacy for commenting code
> in this community; our own tools are working against us in this
> matter!
>
> I fixed at least a couple of comment-stripping plague from the various
> RbNodes but there is still at least one more.  :(
>

> On 10/15/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Kepp the formatting of methods.
>>
>> This behavior is really inconvenient. When you have a method and you
>> operate a refactoring on it, the indentation and formatting is
>> completely changed, making the diff unreadable.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou

Re: Refactoring browser

Chris Muller-3
Ok, I merged them.  File is on the Mantis report.

On 10/20/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> chris
>
> could you merge your changes on RB formatter. I know that gutenberg
> could be used too.
> Damien what is the status of gutenberg?
> Because it would be cool to have a goo code formatter for squeak.
>
> Stef
>
> On 16 oct. 07, at 03:19, Chris Muller wrote:
>
> > True, unless the code was formatted with the RB Formatter in the
> > first place.
> >
> > I tweaked my image so that Alt+Shift+S RB formats and incorporated it
> > into my "save gesture".  Therefore, as more of my code becomes
> > formatted per the RB Formatter, the diffs are true.  I tweaked the RB
> > Formatter to format in Rectangular Block recommended by Kent Beck.
> >
> > What's even MORE inconvenient is the way, starting in the 3.9 image,
> > RB Formatter now strips (some) comments out of your code.  Not a very
> > good thing to do, given the seeming high-advocacy for commenting code
> > in this community; our own tools are working against us in this
> > matter!
> >
> > I fixed at least a couple of comment-stripping plague from the various
> > RbNodes but there is still at least one more.  :(

> >> This behavior is really inconvenient. When you have a method and you
> >> operate a refactoring on it, the indentation and formatting is
> >> completely changed, making the diff unreadable.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Damien Cassou

12