ReleaseBuilder* -> 45Deprecated?

Frank Shearar-3
I've come to the conclusion that having a whole swathe of
ReleaseBuilders is wrong. Mostly this comes down to:
* there is no way of knowing (without a lot of testing) that your
ReleaseBuilderForSpecialCircumstances still works after that trivial
refactoring you just did to ReleaseBuilder, and just as importantly,
* who would want to make a 4.4 release (or 4.3, or 3.11, or 3.10!)
from a 4.5 image?

There's a slight argument in the case of ReleaseBuilderNihongo and
ReleaseBuilderSqueakland, but I'd argue that these too don't belong in
_trunk_.

So I would like to turn ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 into the one and only
ReleaseBuilder, delete the old 3.11-4.4 builders, and put
ReleaseBuilder(Nihongo|Squeakland) into a separate package, loaded in
during the release process but otherwise not in Trunk. (In other
words, they go the same route as XML-Parser, Universes and so on.)

Thoughts? Comments?

frank

Re: ReleaseBuilder* -> 45Deprecated?

Chris Muller-3
> So I would like to turn ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 into the one and only
> ReleaseBuilder, delete the old 3.11-4.4 builders, ...

I totally agree with the above.

> ... and put
> ReleaseBuilder(Nihongo|Squeakland) into a separate package, loaded in
> during the release process but otherwise not in Trunk. (In other
> words, they go the same route as XML-Parser, Universes and so on.)

One thing I've been hoping for is a re-convergence of some of the
previously-forked Squeaks back into trunk and made into loadable
packages.  Etoys, for example.  That project could possibly benefit by
getting image fixes and an improved base image (based on trunk).
Squeak obviously benefits by having more neat, externally loadable
packages available.

So, while those packages themselves need to stay out of trunk, those
communities might need some sort of customization scripts to deploy
the image that their users expect.

On 3 May 2013 02:14, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> So I would like to turn ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 into the one and only
>> ReleaseBuilder, delete the old 3.11-4.4 builders, ...
>
> I totally agree with the above.
>
>> ... and put
>> ReleaseBuilder(Nihongo|Squeakland) into a separate package, loaded in
>> during the release process but otherwise not in Trunk. (In other
>> words, they go the same route as XML-Parser, Universes and so on.)
>
> One thing I've been hoping for is a re-convergence of some of the
> previously-forked Squeaks back into trunk and made into loadable
> packages.  Etoys, for example.  That project could possibly benefit by
> getting image fixes and an improved base image (based on trunk).
> Squeak obviously benefits by having more neat, externally loadable
> packages available.
>
> So, while those packages themselves need to stay out of trunk, those
> communities might need some sort of customization scripts to deploy
> the image that their users expect.

Indeed. I'd expect Etoys to have their own EtoysReleaseBuilder in
their package list.

frank

Re: ReleaseBuilder* -> 45Deprecated?

Bert Freudenberg

On 2013-05-03, at 08:06, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 May 2013 02:14, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> So I would like to turn ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 into the one and only
>>> ReleaseBuilder, delete the old 3.11-4.4 builders, ...
>>
>> I totally agree with the above.
>>
>>> ... and put
>>> ReleaseBuilder(Nihongo|Squeakland) into a separate package, loaded in
>>> during the release process but otherwise not in Trunk. (In other
>>> words, they go the same route as XML-Parser, Universes and so on.)
>>
>> One thing I've been hoping for is a re-convergence of some of the
>> previously-forked Squeaks back into trunk and made into loadable
>> packages.  Etoys, for example.  That project could possibly benefit by
>> getting image fixes and an improved base image (based on trunk).
>> Squeak obviously benefits by having more neat, externally loadable
>> packages available.
>>
>> So, while those packages themselves need to stay out of trunk, those
>> communities might need some sort of customization scripts to deploy
>> the image that their users expect.
>

> Indeed. I'd expect Etoys to have their own EtoysReleaseBuilder in
> their package list.
>
> frank

Yep.

- Bert -

Re: ReleaseBuilder* -> 45Deprecated?

Chris Muller-3
Of course, but do they already?  I was just saying, I don't see any
hurry to zap them into oblivion just yet.  But if Bert is fine then I
guess go ahead.

On 2013-05-03, at 18:10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of course, but do they already?  I was just saying, I don't see any
> hurry to zap them into oblivion just yet.  But if Bert is fine then I
> guess go ahead.

They're not used, and the 45Deprecated package is a fine place for them :)

- Bert -