ReleaseBuilder

Chris Muller-3
What are our plans for ReleaseBuilder?  I noticed a lot of methods
were moved to *45Deprecated.  Don't we still need those to put out a
compact release image or is it planned to use another mechanssm (such
as Smalltalk cleanUp: hook?)?

Re: ReleaseBuilder

Frank Shearar-3
On 30 August 2013 21:32, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What are our plans for ReleaseBuilder?  I noticed a lot of methods
> were moved to *45Deprecated.  Don't we still need those to put out a
> compact release image or is it planned to use another mechanssm (such
> as Smalltalk cleanUp: hook?)?

IIRC (*) I _deleted_ a pile of unused instance-side methods. I've
tried to make things shrinkable through the #cleanUp: hook. IIRC
(again) I ripped most of the guts of ReleaseBuilder's cleanup/shrink
logic and pushed the bits into the various packages to which they
belonged.

When I prepare a new "shrunk trunk", I run this guy:
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/shrink-trunk.st.
You'll see it just unloads packages and implicitly trusts that those
packages know how to correctly unload themselves.

frank

(*) We really need a quick and easy way of browsing changes from a web
browser. I find it really hard to find anything through SqueakSource.
This addendum is too small to contain my thoughts on the matter :/

Re: ReleaseBuilder

Tobias Pape
Am 31.08.2013 um 15:30 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> (*) We really need a quick and easy way of browsing changes from a web
> browser. I find it really hard to find anything through SqueakSource.
> This addendum is too small to contain my thoughts on the matter :/

http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html
-> “Latest”
-> “ReleaseBuilder-*”

There you have

File: ReleaseBuilder-fbs.101.mcz
Author: Frank Shearar
Timestamp: 9 July 2013 9:16:18 pm
UUID: 0defd2a0-b658-da4b-bbf4-66385adbfc9a
Ancestors: ReleaseBuilder-fbs.100 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Message: SystemReporter has no dependent packages, so is a prime candidate for unload/reloading. (I still need to update the CI shrink-image.st script.)
Diff: ReleaseBuilder-fbs.101.diff <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Changeset: ReleaseBuilder-fbs.101(100).cs <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Downloads: Web: 128

_And_  you can click “Browse” to
browse the code of that version

(is it just me or is source.squeak.org really
slow recently?)

Best
        -Tobias

Re: ReleaseBuilder

Chris Muller-3
> On 30 August 2013 21:32, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What are our plans for ReleaseBuilder?  I noticed a lot of methods
>> were moved to *45Deprecated.  Don't we still need those to put out a
>> compact release image or is it planned to use another mechanssm (such
>> as Smalltalk cleanUp: hook?)?
>
> IIRC (*) I _deleted_ a pile of unused instance-side methods. I've
> tried to make things shrinkable through the #cleanUp: hook. IIRC
> (again) I ripped most of the guts of ReleaseBuilder's cleanup/shrink
> logic and pushed the bits into the various packages to which they
> belonged.

Ok, I see everything was basically moved to the class-side.  Hm.

> When I prepare a new "shrunk trunk", I run this guy:
> https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/shrink-trunk.st.
> You'll see it just unloads packages and implicitly trusts that those
> packages know how to correctly unload themselves.

What do you think about having shrink-trunk.st simply be:

    Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages

so we can then we can maintain it from the image..?

thx