Released versions in Pharo Bootstrap

123

Re: Released versions in Pharo Bootstrap

Stephan Eggermont-3
Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So to get all minor fixes from all dependencies the code should be loaded
> from such floating branch (0.5.x). The main project can be locked to fix
> current version (only dependencies will be updated).
> And all released versions (0.5.3 tag) will be completely reproducible.

So your goal for released versions is to be only loadable on a specific
pharo build?

Stephan

Re: Released versions in Pharo Bootstrap

Denis Kudriashov

wrote:

> So to get all minor fixes from all dependencies the code should be loaded
> from such floating branch (0.5.x). The main project can be locked to fix
> current version (only dependencies will be updated).
> And all released versions (0.5.3 tag) will be completely reproducible.

So your goal for released versions is to be only loadable on a specific
pharo build?

On any pharo build. I not understand what you mean

Stephan

wrote:
<[hidden email]>:

>> Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So to get all minor fixes from all dependencies the code should be loaded
>>> from such floating branch (0.5.x). The main project can be locked to fix
>>> current version (only dependencies will be updated).
>>> And all released versions (0.5.3 tag) will be completely reproducible.
>>>

>> So your goal for released versions is to be only loadable on a specific
>> pharo build?
>>

> On any pharo build. I not understand what you mean

Your dependencies will need to be updated to run on newer pharo builds,
won’t they?

Stephan

wrote:
<[hidden email]>:

>> Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So to get all minor fixes from all dependencies the code should be loaded
>>> from such floating branch (0.5.x). The main project can be locked to fix
>>> current version (only dependencies will be updated).
>>> And all released versions (0.5.3 tag) will be completely reproducible.
>>>

>> So your goal for released versions is to be only loadable on a specific
>> pharo build?
>>

> On any pharo build. I not understand what you mean

Your dependencies will need to be updated to run on newer pharo builds,
won’t they?

No. Each build just loads specified version. I do not need to create new version for new build.
But I think I still not understand you

Stephan

wrote:

> No. Each build just loads specified version. I do not need to create new
> version for new build.
> But I think I still not understand you

That specified version will no longer work in a newer pharo build. Pharo
changes, making it necessary for your dependencies to change. Will you make
a new release each time one of your dependencies needs to change?

Stephan

wrote:

> No. Each build just loads specified version. I do not need to create new
> version for new build.
> But I think I still not understand you

That specified version will no longer work in a newer pharo build. Pharo
changes, making it necessary for your dependencies to change. Will you make
a new release each time one of your dependencies needs to change?

I do not put dependencies of projects which are part of standard Pharo image. So Pharo updates do not affect my baselines

Stephan

wrote:
<[hidden email]>:

>> Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No. Each build just loads specified version. I do not need to create new
>>> version for new build.
>>> But I think I still not understand you
>>
>> That specified version will no longer work in a newer pharo build. Pharo
>> changes, making it necessary for your dependencies to change. Will you make
>> a new release each time one of your dependencies needs to change?
>>

> I do not put dependencies of projects which are part of standard Pharo
> image. So Pharo updates do not affect my baselines

And your dependencies are not impacted by standard pharo changes?

Stephan

wrote:
<[hidden email]>:

>> Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No. Each build just loads specified version. I do not need to create new
>>> version for new build.
>>> But I think I still not understand you
>>
>> That specified version will no longer work in a newer pharo build. Pharo
>> changes, making it necessary for your dependencies to change. Will you make
>> a new release each time one of your dependencies needs to change?
>>

> I do not put dependencies of projects which are part of standard Pharo
> image. So Pharo updates do not affect my baselines

And your dependencies are not impacted by standard pharo changes?

It can be impacted of course. But it is normal process for alpha Pharo 7. And Pharo 6 is fixed, so I do not care.

Stephan

wrote:
<[hidden email]>:

>> Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> new

>> make
>>>>

>>> I do not put dependencies of projects which are part of standard Pharo
>>> image. So Pharo updates do not affect my baselines
>>
>> And your dependencies are not impacted by standard pharo changes?
>>

> It can be impacted of course. But it is normal process for alpha Pharo 7.
> And Pharo 6 is fixed, so I do not care.

Then why bother releasing?

Stephan

Re: Released versions in Pharo Bootstrap

CyrilFerlicot
Le 19/03/2018 à 18:49, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
> Then why bother releasing?

Hi,

For people using Pharo 7 to not get the same bugs for more than 1 year,
to get the new functionalities and to be able to detect new bugs
introduced in releases.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Released versions in Pharo Bootstrap

Stephan Eggermont-3
Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Le 19/03/2018 à 18:49, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
>> Then why bother releasing?
>>

> Hi,
>
> For people using Pharo 7 to not get the same bugs for more than 1 year,
> to get the new functionalities and to be able to detect new bugs
> introduced in releases.

Forgive me for sounding like a broken record. How exactly is this style of
releasing going to help with these points?

Stephan

On 20-03-18 08:55, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Le 19/03/2018 à 18:49, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
>>> Then why bother releasing?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> For people using Pharo 7 to not get the same bugs for more than 1 year,
>> to get the new functionalities and to be able to detect new bugs
>> introduced in releases.
>
> Forgive me for sounding like a broken record. How exactly is this style of
> releasing going to help with these points?

Anyone? Because AFAIK this just results in release cascades, and that is
definitely bad practice. As soon as a dependency needs to change, you
need to make a new release.

Stephan

123