Relicense on Squeak 3.10

Hilaire Fernandes-4
I have slightly modified the Andrew Black analyzer for 3.10 image.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6016

The methods list is therefore different from the previous one provided
from another image (I get no feedback when asking from which image it
was extracted).
Starting from 3.10 may be a wiser choice for future.

 From this list there are unknown contributors.
As a next step I am proposing to filter out the unknown contributors and
the contributors with code size <=25 as the FSF is suggesting.

BTW, where should I look to be able to calculate the number of lines of
a given method?

Hilaire

Re: Relicense on Squeak 3.10

Herbert König
Hello Hilaire,

HF> BTW, where should I look to be able to calculate the number of lines of
HF> a given method?

ClassDescription>>linesOfCode should give you a start.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Relicense on Squeak 3.10

Alan L. Lovejoy
Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> As a next step I am proposing to filter out the unknown contributors
> and the contributors with code size <=25 as the FSF is suggesting.

I would recommend ensuring that you count lines-per-method based on the
standard formatting (so format the method source before counting
lines.)  Having a consistent standard strengthens your legal position.

--Alan

Re: Relicense on Squeak 3.10

timrowledge

On 27-Dec-07, at 8:10 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> As a next step I am proposing to filter out the unknown contributors
> and the contributors with code size <=25 as the FSF is suggesting.

Don't waste your time. The SFLC legal opinion is that 'every bit is
sacred'. We need to get every single in-use version and it's preceding
versions cleared.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- QUE SERA SERF - Life is feudal

Re: Relicense on Squeak 3.10

Hilaire Fernandes-4
tim Rowledge a écrit :

> On 27-Dec-07, at 8:10 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>>
>> As a next step I am proposing to filter out the unknown contributors
>> and the contributors with code size <=25 as the FSF is suggesting.
>
> Don't waste your time. The SFLC legal opinion is that 'every bit is
> sacred'. We need to get every single in-use version and it's preceding
> versions cleared.

...and it sounds quite undoable. What about these bits modified at
Disney, HP? Do you want to wake up the dogs?

It does not sound pragmatics when in the other hand the FSF is
considering this bellow 25 lines of code 'safe'.
How do fell other people about that?

Hilaire

Re: Relicense on Squeak 3.10

Paolo Bonzini-2

> As a next step I am proposing to filter out the unknown contributors and
> the contributors with code size <=25 as the FSF is suggesting.

1) The unknown contributors should *not* be filtered.

2) The FSF filters out contributors with code size <= 10-15.

3) It is not a suggestion *from the FSF*.  You may say, "as FSF
practices suggest".

Anyway, if the SFLC said that even the smallest contribution matters,
you should abide to that.  On the other hand, you can ask Eben Moglen if
there is a case from which the "tiny change" practice was derived, and
submit that case to the SFLC.  But for now, you should not filter out
anyone (especially unknown contributors!), unless of course you wish to
concentrate on major contributors first, and tackle minor contributors
later.

Paolo

Re: Relicense on Squeak 3.10

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Paolo Bonzini a écrit :

>> As a next step I am proposing to filter out the unknown contributors
>> and the contributors with code size <=25 as the FSF is suggesting.
>
> 1) The unknown contributors should *not* be filtered.
>
> 2) The FSF filters out contributors with code size <= 10-15.
>
> 3) It is not a suggestion *from the FSF*.  You may say, "as FSF
> practices suggest".
>
> Anyway, if the SFLC said that even the smallest contribution matters,
> you should abide to that.  On the other hand, you can ask Eben Moglen if
> there is a case from which the "tiny change" practice was derived, and
> submit that case to the SFLC.  But for now, you should not filter out
> anyone (especially unknown contributors!), unless of course you wish to
> concentrate on major contributors first, and tackle minor contributors
> later.

It is the idea to divide in small chunks the author list to share the
workload (contacting authors or/and rewriting methods)  with the
community. But I am not sure anymore if it will be useful as Tim wrote
even the history of the methods should be handled...

Hilaire