RemoteObjects, which version?

EstebanLM
Hi!
I want to play a little bit with the whole "remote objects" idea... and i was making some research about the packages already done for Squeak, but i'm confused: there is a project "RemoteObjects" in squeaksource, but the documentation in wiki points to another project at http //squeak.saltypickle.com/RemoteObjects, and there is another package, rST, that explores the idea... and of course, Knigge project is there too.
Which one is convenient to use/extend? what's their status (development, mantained, obsolete, etc.)
(BTW, no one of this works properly in my squeak 3.9)

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Re: RemoteObjects, which version?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Esteban--

     There's also the Spoon remote messaging protocol. You can get
fileouts for image and virtual machine support as part of the current
Spoon release.

     http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/current

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: RemoteObjects, which version?

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi Esteban,

We (Douai's team) maintain rST.
It runs without problems under Squeak 3.9.

Noury
Le 17 avr. 07 à 17:18, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

> Hi!
> I want to play a little bit with the whole "remote objects" idea...
> and i was making some research about the packages already done for
> Squeak, but i'm confused: there is a project "RemoteObjects" in
> squeaksource, but the documentation in wiki points to another
> project at http //squeak.saltypickle.com/RemoteObjects, and there
> is another package, rST, that explores the idea... and of course,
> Knigge project is there too.
> Which one is convenient to use/extend? what's their status
> (development, mantained, obsolete, etc.)
> (BTW, no one of this works properly in my squeak 3.9)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Esteban
> --
> "Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
> Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Re: RemoteObjects, which version?

areichow
Esteban-

It might be good to describe what you mean that none of those work in Squeak 3.9 for you...

Aaron

On Apr 17, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

Hi!
I want to play a little bit with the whole "remote objects" idea... and i was making some research about the packages already done for Squeak, but i'm confused: there is a project "RemoteObjects" in squeaksource, but the documentation in wiki points to another project at http //squeak.saltypickle.com/RemoteObjects, and there is another package, rST, that explores the idea... and of course, Knigge project is there too.
Which one is convenient to use/extend? what's their status (development, mantained, obsolete, etc.)
(BTW, no one of this works properly in my squeak 3.9)

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Re: RemoteObjects, which version?

EstebanLM
Mmm... error... no one works in damien cassou's squeak-dev, currently based in 3.10 (my mistake, sorry)... i'll do some tests and send feedback.

Thanks,
Esteban

On 4/17/07, Aaron Reichow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Esteban-

It might be good to describe what you mean that none of those work in Squeak 3.9 for you...

Aaron

On Apr 17, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

Hi!
I want to play a little bit with the whole "remote objects" idea... and i was making some research about the packages already done for Squeak, but i'm confused: there is a project "RemoteObjects" in squeaksource, but the documentation in wiki points to another project at http //<a href="http://squeak.saltypickle.com/RemoteObjects" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">squeak.saltypickle.com/RemoteObjects, and there is another package, rST, that explores the idea... and of course, Knigge project is there too.
Which one is convenient to use/extend? what's their status (development, mantained, obsolete, etc.)
(BTW, no one of this works properly in my squeak 3.9)

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Message passing with spoon (was Re: RemoteObjects, which version?)

J J-6

I am looking at doing a big Erlang project, but I want to do all the GUI
stuff in Smalltalk/Squeak.  I want the system to be reflective as well, so
the best is if Squeak can talk directly to Erlang via Erlang's own message
passing style.

Can Spoon help with this, or is it expecting Smalltalk objects to be on the
other side?

And once I can send and receive the messages in Squeak then the question
comes up about 'why not just do it all in Squeak?'.  The only two things I
can think of are: (1) speed and (2) Erlang makes sure you don't try to
modify state (since there are potentially thousands of threads and no
locking mechanisms), while in Squeak it would have to be discipline.

>From: Craig Latta <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: RemoteObjects, which version?
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:16:04 -0700
>

>Hi Esteban--
>
>      There's also the Spoon remote messaging protocol. You can get
>fileouts for image and virtual machine support as part of the current
>Spoon release.
>
>      http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/current
>

>      thanks,
>
>-C
>
>--
>Craig Latta
>improvisational musical informaticist
>www.netjam.org
>Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]

Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS!  $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888

re: Message passing with spoon

ccrraaiigg

Hi JJ--

> I am looking at doing a big Erlang project, but I want to do all the
> GUI stuff in Smalltalk/Squeak.  I want the system to be reflective as
> well, so the best is if Squeak can talk directly to Erlang via
> Erlang's own message passing style.
>
> Can Spoon help with this, or is it expecting Smalltalk objects to be
> on the other side?

     It doesn't expect Smalltalk to be on the other side, the other side
just needs to speak the network protocol. That involves answering
messages with bits that can be decoded into Smalltalk objects, but it
should be doable.

     I suppose I should finish documenting the protocol. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Message passing with spoon (was Re: RemoteObjects, which version?)

Diman Todorov-3

On 20.04.2007, at 20:29, J J wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking at doing a big Erlang project, but I want to do all
> the GUI stuff in Smalltalk/Squeak.  I want the system to be
> reflective as well, so the best is if Squeak can talk directly to
> Erlang via Erlang's own message passing style.
>
> Can Spoon help with this, or is it expecting Smalltalk objects to
> be on the other side?
>
> And once I can send and receive the messages in Squeak then the
> question comes up about 'why not just do it all in Squeak?'.  The
> only two things I can think of are: (1) speed and (2) Erlang makes
> sure you don't try to modify state (since there are potentially
> thousands of threads and no locking mechanisms), while in Squeak it
> would have to be discipline.

this sounds like a very interesting project. What kind of project is
it? Do you have any references suitable for the public?

cheers
Diman