Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

Patrick R.
Hi everyone,

some weeks ago I asked regarding the support for running Squeak as a browser plugin and the consensus was to deprecate the code for it. While deprecating the corresponding methods, I also noticed some related protocols which build upon the web browser request protocol but are not used by anyone except for the also deprecated HTTPClient. My current strategy was to go ahead and deprecate these methods also. You can find the resulting methods in the changeset attached. Alternatively, we could try to convert these methods to a WebClient- or HTTPSocket-based implementation. However, without actual use cases in the trunk image this does not feel like it would be worth the effort.

Any thoughts? :)

Bests
Patrick

RemoveBrowserSupport.1.cs (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

Chris Muller-3
For a moment I wondered whether it would be worth trying to move these
methods (along with the others associated with In-Browser support)
into their own package which could be externally loaded back in to a
recent Squeak to enable running in Browser again.  But I couldn't
think of a single useful use-case why anyone would want to, plus
perhaps it's not supported by modern VM's anyway:

   StandardFileStream privateCheckForBrowserPrimitives      "false"

Deprecation seems to be the right track for these methods.

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:18 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> some weeks ago I asked regarding the support for running Squeak as a browser plugin and the consensus was to deprecate the code for it. While deprecating the corresponding methods, I also noticed some related protocols which build upon the web browser request protocol but are not used by anyone except for the also deprecated HTTPClient. My current strategy was to go ahead and deprecate these methods also. You can find the resulting methods in the changeset attached. Alternatively, we could try to convert these methods to a WebClient- or HTTPSocket-based implementation. However, without actual use cases in the trunk image this does not feel like it would be worth the effort.
>
> Any thoughts? :)
>
> Bests
> Patrick

Re: Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

David T. Lewis
I agree, they can just be deprecated. It is unlikely that anyone will
need them in the future.

But I also like Chris' idea of putting the changes in a package, so here
is a small suggestion: The deprecated methods (in the change set) are
all in package 60Deprecated-System-Support. If the method category for
these methods was changed from '*60Deprecated-System-Support' to
'*60Deprecated-NSPlugin-System-Support' it would help to keep track
of them in case anyone ever wanted to reload the methods.

Dave

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 03:44:43PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> For a moment I wondered whether it would be worth trying to move these
> methods (along with the others associated with In-Browser support)
> into their own package which could be externally loaded back in to a
> recent Squeak to enable running in Browser again.  But I couldn't
> think of a single useful use-case why anyone would want to, plus
> perhaps it's not supported by modern VM's anyway:
>
>    StandardFileStream privateCheckForBrowserPrimitives      "false"
>
> Deprecation seems to be the right track for these methods.
>

> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:18 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > some weeks ago I asked regarding the support for running Squeak as a browser plugin and the consensus was to deprecate the code for it. While deprecating the corresponding methods, I also noticed some related protocols which build upon the web browser request protocol but are not used by anyone except for the also deprecated HTTPClient. My current strategy was to go ahead and deprecate these methods also. You can find the resulting methods in the changeset attached. Alternatively, we could try to convert these methods to a WebClient- or HTTPSocket-based implementation. However, without actual use cases in the trunk image this does not feel like it would be worth the effort.
> >
> > Any thoughts? :)
> >
> > Bests
> > Patrick

Re: Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

patrick.rein
Sounds good. That means moving HTTPClient to the same package?

Bests
Patrick

>I agree, they can just be deprecated. It is unlikely that anyone will
>need them in the future.
>
>But I also like Chris' idea of putting the changes in a package, so here
>is a small suggestion: The deprecated methods (in the change set) are
>all in package 60Deprecated-System-Support. If the method category for
>these methods was changed from '*60Deprecated-System-Support' to
>'*60Deprecated-NSPlugin-System-Support' it would help to keep track
>of them in case anyone ever wanted to reload the methods.
>
>Dave
>

>On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 03:44:43PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
>> For a moment I wondered whether it would be worth trying to move these
>> methods (along with the others associated with In-Browser support)
>> into their own package which could be externally loaded back in to a
>> recent Squeak to enable running in Browser again.  But I couldn't
>> think of a single useful use-case why anyone would want to, plus
>> perhaps it's not supported by modern VM's anyway:
>>
>>    StandardFileStream privateCheckForBrowserPrimitives      "false"
>>
>> Deprecation seems to be the right track for these methods.
>>

>> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:18 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > some weeks ago I asked regarding the support for running Squeak as a browser plugin and the consensus was to deprecate the code for it. While deprecating the corresponding methods, I also noticed some related protocols which build upon the web browser request protocol but are not used by anyone except for the also deprecated HTTPClient. My current strategy was to go ahead and deprecate these methods also. You can find the resulting methods in the changeset attached. Alternatively, we could try to convert these methods to a WebClient- or HTTPSocket-based implementation. However, without actual use cases in the trunk image this does not feel like it would be worth the effort.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts? :)
>> >
>> > Bests
>> > Patrick

Re: Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

David T. Lewis
I am not sure, but I think HTTPClient was a more general-purpose class,
not just for NS browser support? So having it in 60Deprecated-System-Support
still seems right.

But I am not very familiar with this part of the system so please use
your own choice for this and it will be good :-)

Dave

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 02:57:04PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Sounds good. That means moving HTTPClient to the same package?
>
> Bests
> Patrick
>
> >I agree, they can just be deprecated. It is unlikely that anyone will
> >need them in the future.
> >
> >But I also like Chris' idea of putting the changes in a package, so here
> >is a small suggestion: The deprecated methods (in the change set) are
> >all in package 60Deprecated-System-Support. If the method category for
> >these methods was changed from '*60Deprecated-System-Support' to
> >'*60Deprecated-NSPlugin-System-Support' it would help to keep track
> >of them in case anyone ever wanted to reload the methods.
> >
> >Dave
> >

> >On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 03:44:43PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> >> For a moment I wondered whether it would be worth trying to move these
> >> methods (along with the others associated with In-Browser support)
> >> into their own package which could be externally loaded back in to a
> >> recent Squeak to enable running in Browser again.  But I couldn't
> >> think of a single useful use-case why anyone would want to, plus
> >> perhaps it's not supported by modern VM's anyway:
> >>
> >>    StandardFileStream privateCheckForBrowserPrimitives      "false"
> >>
> >> Deprecation seems to be the right track for these methods.

Re: Removal of Web Browser Support in FileStream

patrick.rein
After looking around in the class: Yes, you are right. It tries to use the brower api if possible but does not require it. :)

Bests
Patrick