Remove XML-Parser with Universes? (aka why Xtreams is missing a WikiGenerator class)

Remove XML-Parser with Universes? (aka why Xtreams is missing a WikiGenerator class)

Chris Cunnington
VisualWorks seems very fond of XML. And it seems more useful over there:

XML.Element tag: 'span' elements: (Array with: (XML.Text text: 'Hello
World'))

That's a pretty useful to my mind. And it's the absence of this package
that prevents the Xtreams-Parsing-Tests package from having a
WikiGenerator class. Such a class would make Xtreams-Parsing
comprehensible.
Which it isn't.
Which is why I'm looking at VW.

It was intriguing for sixty seconds to think XML-Parser in Squeak could
be used to make a WikiGenerator class.
Which it can't.
Upon inspection, it looks closely tied to the purposes of the Universes
packages. And as such, I think it might ought to go when Universes does.

saviour := 'Christ'.
Merry , Character space,  saviour , mas.
saviour copyUpTo: $t

Re: Remove XML-Parser with Universes? (aka why Xtreams is missing a WikiGenerator class)

Colin Putney-3

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upon inspection, it looks closely tied to the purposes of the Universes packages. And as such, I think it might ought to go when Universes does.

I don't think XML is tied to Universes; it's useful for a lot of other stuff.

On the other hand, it would be reasonable to remove it from the base image, just as part of our general goal of modularization and a tiny core. I'll put it on my list for 4.5.

Colin

Re: Remove XML-Parser with Universes? (aka why Xtreams is missing a WikiGenerator class)

Frank Shearar-3
On 26 December 2012 16:16, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Chris Cunnington
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Upon inspection, it looks closely tied to the purposes of the Universes
>> packages. And as such, I think it might ought to go when Universes does.
>

> I don't think XML is tied to Universes; it's useful for a lot of other
> stuff.
>
> On the other hand, it would be reasonable to remove it from the base image,
> just as part of our general goal of modularization and a tiny core. I'll put
> it on my list for 4.5.

We have the seed of the other half of such a thing already, in the
ReleaseSqueakTrunk CI job. Just as we want jobs testing the CSPs, we
can make more packages unloadable and, if we consider them vital to
basic trunk hacking, simply reload them as part of preparing a trunk
image for release.

frank