Remove developing with Pharo

12

Remove developing with Pharo

Andrei Stebakov
Currently I have my web applications running on a Ubuntu box to which I connect from a remote WinXP system via ssh.
My current set of tools is Lisp/Slime/Emacs.
I tried to launch Pharo with X11 forwarding using X-server on WinXP, but it painfully slow (the Pharo main windows redraws in a few minutes).
I am really thinking developing some web app using Pharo/Seaside (I am liking the language more and more!) but I need to know to do it remotely via a secure connection.

Thank you,
Andrei

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>
Currently I have my web applications running on a Ubuntu box to which I connect from a remote WinXP system via ssh.

I guess the subject should be "remote" instead of "remove"  ?  ;)

Sorry I ask but why not you cannot just develop in your pc and with scp or similar you copy the .image and .image file trough ssh to the server ?

My current set of tools is Lisp/Slime/Emacs.
I tried to launch Pharo with X11 forwarding using X-server on WinXP, but it painfully slow (the Pharo main windows redraws in a few minutes).
I am really thinking developing some web app using Pharo/Seaside (I am liking the language more and more!) but I need to know to do it remotely via a secure connection.

Yes, there is an implementation of the VNC protocolol. You can take a Pharo image and load a VNC server. Then, you can connect to any VNC client and what you see is the image....Then you can do whatever you want. I don't know the performance, thus.

That package is called RFB (remote something buffer)

http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/maintaining/vnc

To install it:

Gofer it
 squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
 package: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
 load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRFB) project perform: #latestVersion)
load.

Cheers

Mariano

2010/5/12 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>

Currently I have my web applications running on a Ubuntu box to which I connect from a remote WinXP system via ssh.

I guess the subject should be "remote" instead of "remove"  ?  ;)

Sorry I ask but why not you cannot just develop in your pc and with scp or similar you copy the .image and .image file trough ssh to the server ?
Good question. Somehow historically I've installed a bunch of useful linux libraries on that Ubuntu box which are not even available on Windows. Secondly my web app will work with a bunch of graphical images (lots of GB) so I can't imagine synchronizing it with my Win system. Sure if there is no other good way (for Pharo), I'll try to adapt to the local development, but so far the remote development worked well for me.

[...]

How do I install packages to the remote Pharo if I only have a command line access to it via ssh?

Cheers

Mariano

Thank you,
Andrei

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I have at times done what you are attempting, and painful is nicest adjective I can think to use.  Please let us know if VNC is a better option.  Re RDP, I have wondered whether the poor performance could be telling us something about the amount of drawing that might be happening for no purpose???  It can be terribly slow, especially the response to typing.
Bill

[...]

Ok...Understood. What about having normal VNC running in that Linux box and accessing with a Windows client ?

[...]

Maybe I don't understand. At the beginning, at least once, you will have to copy the image and put it in the server. Before doing that, take that image in your desktop app, install RFB, START IT (don't forget this), and SAVE the image after doing that. Then, when you start the image in the server, the RFB objects will be alive and the VNC will be working ;)

Enjoy the wonderful smalltalk world ;)

[...]

This sounds great. Let's say I've updated and installed all packages to the pharo image on my Win machine, copied it over to the linux system. Now if I start pharo (headless?) I should be able to control if from anywhere (I still wonder about being behind a firewall).
What's the command to start pharo headless on linux?

[...]

YES!!!!  the same as seaside ;)

I should be able to control if from anywhere (I still wonder about being behind a firewall).

Yes. For the firewall you need to evaluate for example:

HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: '10.100.1.4' port: 9090 proxyUser: 'Mariano' password: 'XXX'

Of course, evaluate it before saving the image.

Don't worry, in Pharo 1.1 this configuration is accessible with the new Settings browser.

What's the command to start pharo headless on linux?

Look and read the seside book.

http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/run-vm

Notice in the top right the input to search.

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers

Mariano

Thank you,
Andrei

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 12.05.2010 20:13, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
> That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta,
> not the commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder
> if it's a Pharo issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast
> compared to Pharo though...
AFAIK, this is a consequence of the rendering method used in
Squeak/Pharo image/VM's.
If I've understood the Mac platform-rendering code correctly, the way it
works, is that a special Display bitmap is kept accessible to both image
and VM.
When rendering image side, all draws end up on the Display bitmap.
(Using bitBlt as a context, rather than using f.ex. a
HostGraphicsContexts to draw using the equivalent
x-server/quartz/directDraw commands)

Then, when it comes time to actually display, the VM takes the
registered damage rects, and sends the contents of the Display bitmap in
those areas for display.
(In the Mac VM, this is actually folded down to one of 16 regions which
are marked dirty or not, not sure how it works on other platforms).
So yes, full-blown images is ever only sent.

The advantages I can see is that:
1. All rendering logic is actually written in smalltalk. (Well, as part
of the platform-independent, compiled-to-C VM sources at least)
2. It will render exactly the same on all platforms, due to #1.
3. The platform support code for rendering is really simple, all you
need is the ability to display bitmap regions to the screen.

Cheers,
Henry.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

johnmci
Ok, well this would be in the squeak V5 macintosh cocoa VM.

In general the smalltalk code alters bits in the special object TheDisplay

At some point the Smalltalk code calls primitiveShowDisplayRect or primitiveForceDisplayUpdate to move the bits from TheDisplay Oops to the host supporting platform's UI.

This invokes the platform code ioShowDisplay(), *some* platforms who are multiple window aware may turn that into ioShowDisplayOnWindow()

Now the intent of the logic is that the bits, rectangle of interest and target rectangle in the host platform display are given to the platform for visual display, and in theory the smalltalk side should issue a ioForceDisplayUpdate to sync a "Frame" from time to time this has then intent of *buffering* data between frame updates.

To complicate things the Frame Sync might not happen so you always  have to think about flushing data.  Also the platform may transform the data from one color depth and color ordering to another to mediate between what the Squeak image thinks it is using versus what the hardware supports.

I think the Unix side always flushes every byte accepted by the ioShowDisplayOnWindow immediately, this ensures you have no dangling flushes, but means there is no buffering of display writes between ioForceDisplayUpdate

The older carbon macintosh VM writes every byte to the carbon window backing store (very fast), but on every X milliseconds flushes to the os-x display manager (very slow), or every Y milliseconds as it checks for dangling drawing as a result of a missing ioForceDisplayUpdate.

The newer cocoa V5 VM Is modelled on the iPhone logic and uses 16 animation layers. On a ioShowDisplayOnWindow we record what rectangles are dirty. When the  ioForceDisplayUpdate happens either by the Smalltalk code or forced as a timer pop we copy the data from TheDisplay based on the dirty rectangles, create a CGImageRef and update the animation layer tile. That triggers the GPU to do the right thing.  Based on an Apple Engineering ticket I opened the methodology here is the fastest way to get bitmapped data to the iPhone display, and benchmarking shows the same solution gives better performance on os-x than the older obsolete carbon code.

It *might* be possible to get better performance using OpenGL, but benchmarking on the iPhone shows the time taken in ioShowDisplay is near zero so it's hard to justify the work, as an example the frame rate of Scratch was tied up in the Scratch drawing logic, not the platform logic under ioShowDisplay.

On 2010-05-13, at 3:14 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 12.05.2010 20:13, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
>> That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not the commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a Pharo issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo though...
> AFAIK, this is a consequence of the rendering method used in Squeak/Pharo image/VM's.
> If I've understood the Mac platform-rendering code correctly, the way it works, is that a special Display bitmap is kept accessible to both image and VM.
> When rendering image side, all draws end up on the Display bitmap. (Using bitBlt as a context, rather than using f.ex. a HostGraphicsContexts to draw using the equivalent x-server/quartz/directDraw commands)
>
> Then, when it comes time to actually display, the VM takes the registered damage rects, and sends the contents of the Display bitmap in those areas for display.
> (In the Mac VM, this is actually folded down to one of 16 regions which are marked dirty or not, not sure how it works on other platforms).
> So yes, full-blown images is ever only sent.
>
> The advantages I can see is that:
> 1. All rendering logic is actually written in smalltalk. (Well, as part of the platform-independent, compiled-to-C VM sources at least)
> 2. It will render exactly the same on all platforms, due to #1.
> 3. The platform support code for rendering is really simple, all you need is the ability to display bitmap regions to the screen.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Igor Stasenko
2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not the
> commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a Pharo
> issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo though...

lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

> 2010/5/12 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I have at times done what you are attempting, and painful is nicest
>> adjective I can think to use.  Please let us know if VNC is a better
>> option.  Re RDP, I have wondered whether the poor performance could be
>> telling us something about the amount of drawing that might be happening for
>> no purpose???  It can be terribly slow, especially the response to typing.
>> Bill
>>
>> ________________________________

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Andrei Stebakov
Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not the
> commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a Pharo
> issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo though...

lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

> 2010/5/12 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I have at times done what you are attempting, and painful is nicest
>> adjective I can think to use.  Please let us know if VNC is a better
>> option.  Re RDP, I have wondered whether the poor performance could be
>> telling us something about the amount of drawing that might be happening for
>> no purpose???  It can be terribly slow, especially the response to typing.
>> Bill
>>
>> ________________________________

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?

you should have settings in your VNC client.
also, you could set bpp for image.
both could help to run things faster.

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
>> > That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not
>> > the
>> > commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a
>> > Pharo
>> > issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo
>> > though...
>> >
>> lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Yanni Chiu
Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
>> Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?
>>
> you should have settings in your VNC client.
> also, you could set bpp for image.
> both could help to run things faster.

Another thing to do is to keep the Display extent small. Maybe 800x600
is enough for a decent browser. To do this, I recall having to do the
resize and save image, before uploading the image.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Andrei Stebakov
Exactly what VNC slient I can use on Windows?
I tried VNC viewer free (http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html), trying to connect to the locally run Pharo and the viewer fails with "uncknown rect encoding" after which Pharo image also freezes.
Is there any step-by-step tutorial how to setup VNC (remote Linux, local Windows)?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?

you should have settings in your VNC client.
also, you could set bpp for image.
both could help to run things faster.

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
>> > That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not
>> > the
>> > commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a
>> > Pharo
>> > issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo
>> > though...
>> >
>> lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
I paste a text I got from an old mail:  "The latest version on squeaksource works. You can load it from http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this package has been forked at least three times.) We used to connect to the server with RealVNC with the following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable auto select), Full color. IIRC you should also turn off the "render cursor locally" feature.
On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory feature.
"

In addition, ask in seaside mailing list too. You will probably receive more help.

Cheers

Mariano

2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>
Exactly what VNC slient I can use on Windows?
I tried VNC viewer free (http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html), trying to connect to the locally run Pharo and the viewer fails with "uncknown rect encoding" after which Pharo image also freezes.
Is there any step-by-step tutorial how to setup VNC (remote Linux, local Windows)?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?

you should have settings in your VNC client.
also, you could set bpp for image.
both could help to run things faster.

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
>> > That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not
>> > the
>> > commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a
>> > Pharo
>> > issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo
>> > though...
>> >
>> lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Andrei Stebakov
Ok, I figured it out.
On the remote machine just start pharo with RFBServer started (connection passwords must be set!)
On the local Windows machine open ssh or putty tunneling local port 5900 to the remote port 5900 (putty -L 5900:localhost:5900 [hidden email]).
After that start a VNC client (in my case I installed TightVNC) and connect to your local machine.
That will automatically establish a tunneled traffic between those two systems va ssh tunneling.

2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
I paste a text I got from an old mail:  "The latest version on squeaksource works. You can load it from http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this package has been forked at least three times.) We used to connect to the server with RealVNC with the following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable auto select), Full color. IIRC you should also turn off the "render cursor locally" feature.
On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory feature.
"

In addition, ask in seaside mailing list too. You will probably receive more help.

Cheers

Mariano

2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>
Exactly what VNC slient I can use on Windows?
I tried VNC viewer free (http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html), trying to connect to the locally run Pharo and the viewer fails with "uncknown rect encoding" after which Pharo image also freezes.
Is there any step-by-step tutorial how to setup VNC (remote Linux, local Windows)?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?

you should have settings in your VNC client.
also, you could set bpp for image.
both could help to run things faster.

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
>> > That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not
>> > the
>> > commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a
>> > Pharo
>> > issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo
>> > though...
>> >
>> lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Andrei Stebakov
Now when I try to paste some data using Ctl-v only the timestamp gets pasted.
If I use the mouse/menu for pasting it causes a segmentation fault:
Segmentation fault

2048644700 Clipboard>clipboardText
2048644608 >clipboardText
2048644516 ParagraphEditor>clipboardText
2048644224 ParagraphEditor>paste
2048644120 PluggableTextMorph>paste
2048644028 PluggableTextMorph>handleEdit:
2048637408 TextMorph>handleEdit:
2048622240 PluggableTextMorph>handleEdit:
2048622148 PluggableTextMorph>paste
2048622056 Object>perform:orSendTo:
2048621652 MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
2048621560 BlockClosure>ensure:
2048620520 Cursor>showWhile:
2048350296 MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
2048350204 MenuItemMorph>mouseUp:
2048350112 MenuItemMorph>handleMouseUp:
2048349976 MouseButtonEvent>sentTo:
2048349884 Morph>handleEvent:
2048349792 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchDefault:with:
2048349700 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
2048349608 Morph>processEvent:using:
2048349516 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchDefault:with:
2048349408 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
2048349272 Morph>processEvent:using:
2048349180 Morph>processEvent:
2048349088 MenuMorph>handleFocusEvent:
2048348996 HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
2048348904 PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring:
2048348736 BlockClosure>on:do:
2048348644 PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring:
2048348472 HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
2048348368 HandMorph>sendEvent:focus:clear:
2048348276 HandMorph>sendMouseEvent:
2048348184 HandMorph>handleEvent:
2048347916 HandMorph>processEvents
2048347808 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
2048347716 SequenceableCollection>do:
2048347624 WorldState>handsDo:
2048347532 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
2048347040 WorldState>doOneCycleFor:
2048346948 WorldState>doOneSubCycleFor:
2048346856 PasteUpMorph>doOneSubCycle
2048230916 MenuMorph>invokeModalAt:in:allowKeyboard:
2048230824 MenuMorph>invokeModal:
2048230720 MenuMorph>invokeModal
2048214088 PluggableTextMorph>yellowButtonActivity:
2048213996 ScrollPane>mouseDown:
2048213904 Morph>handleMouseDown:
2048213812 MouseButtonEvent>sentTo:
2048213720 Morph>handleEvent:
2048213540 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchMouseDown:with:
2048213448 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
2048213356 Morph>processEvent:using:
2048213220 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchMouseDown:with:
2048213128 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
2048213036 Morph>processEvent:using:
2048212944 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchMouseDown:with:
2048212852 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
2048212744 Morph>processEvent:using:
2048212652 PasteUpMorph>processEvent:using:
2048212488 Morph>processEvent:
2048212396 HandMorph>sendEvent:focus:clear:
2048212304 HandMorph>sendMouseEvent:
2048212212 HandMorph>handleEvent:
2048212120 HandMorph>processEvents
2048212012 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
2048211920 SequenceableCollection>do:
2048211828 WorldState>handsDo:
2048211736 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
2048211572 WorldState>doOneCycleFor:
2048211480 PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle
2011450676 >?
2011450548 BlockClosure>?

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I figured it out.
On the remote machine just start pharo with RFBServer started (connection passwords must be set!)
On the local Windows machine open ssh or putty tunneling local port 5900 to the remote port 5900 (putty -L 5900:localhost:5900 [hidden email]).
After that start a VNC client (in my case I installed TightVNC) and connect to your local machine.
That will automatically establish a tunneled traffic between those two systems va ssh tunneling.

2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

I paste a text I got from an old mail:  "The latest version on squeaksource works. You can load it from http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this package has been forked at least three times.) We used to connect to the server with RealVNC with the following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable auto select), Full color. IIRC you should also turn off the "render cursor locally" feature.
On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory feature.
"

In addition, ask in seaside mailing list too. You will probably receive more help.

Cheers

Mariano

2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>
Exactly what VNC slient I can use on Windows?
I tried VNC viewer free (http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html), trying to connect to the locally run Pharo and the viewer fails with "uncknown rect encoding" after which Pharo image also freezes.
Is there any step-by-step tutorial how to setup VNC (remote Linux, local Windows)?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
> Interesting! Is it done on the X-server side or client?

you should have settings in your VNC client.
also, you could set bpp for image.
both could help to run things faster.

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/12 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:
>> > That's right, looks like it sends full-blown images (not the delta, not
>> > the
>> > commands to x-server) and re-drawing takes forever. I wonder if it's a
>> > Pharo
>> > issue or x-server's? My xterm works pretty fast compared to Pharo
>> > though...
>> >
>> lowering the pixel depth to 8bpp helps :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Remove developing with Pharo

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 14 May 2010, Andrei Stebakov wrote:

> Ok, I figured it out.
> On the remote machine just start pharo with RFBServer started (connection
> passwords must be set!)
> On the local Windows machine open ssh or putty tunneling local port 5900 to
> the remote port 5900 (putty -L 5900:localhost:5900 [hidden email]).
> After that start a VNC client (in my case I installed TightVNC) and connect
> to your local machine.
> That will automatically establish a tunneled traffic between those two
> systems va ssh tunneling.

A few other things you should set in RFBServer's panel:
- disable remote connections
- allow ZRLE encoding
- turn off the "conserve memory" feature
Force your client to use ZRLE encoding.
If the performance is still not good enough then you can:
- use a strikefont without anti-aliasing (ugly but much faster)
- remove gradients from your UI
- select a single color for background/remove background image

Levente

> 2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>
>> I paste a text I got from an old mail:  "The latest version on squeaksource
>> works. You can load it from http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this
>> package has been forked at least three times.) We used to connect to the
>> server with RealVNC with the following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable
>> auto select), Full color. IIRC you should also turn off the "render cursor
>> locally" feature.
>> On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory
>> feature.
>> "
>>
>> In addition, ask in seaside mailing list too. You will probably receive
>> more help.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> 2010/5/14 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Exactly what VNC slient I can use on Windows?
>>> I tried VNC viewer free (
>>> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html), trying to
>>> connect to the locally run Pharo and the viewer fails with "uncknown rect
>>> encoding" after which Pharo image also freezes.
>>> Is there any step-by-step tutorial how to setup VNC (remote Linux, local
>>> Windows)?

John Toohey
I believe this is a VM issue, not a Pharo issue. What version of the
Linux VM are you using?

-JT

12