Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends

12345

Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends

Göran Krampe
Hi Klaus!

(this thread is really beaten to death, but whatever - let's beat it
some more!)

For the rest - this is a meta-post. We just blabber on about ourselves
misunderstanding each other in order to get as far away from the subject
as possible! :) :) (a joke)

"Klaus D. Witzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[SNIP]

> >> I have not seen any heat in this thread. I was just asking my questions
> >> (instead of misunderstanding other people's questions and answers) and
> >> indeed got the information that enlighted me (and others?).
> >
> > Well, AFAIK you came onto me quite hard asking if I had indeed read what
> > Pavel wrote etc
>
> I asked this silly one because it seemed to me that Pavel wrote at the
> time between: (your message to me) and: (my response to you). This was not
> meant hard, just a "have you seen it".
>
> > and even using capital letters
>
> ... for which I excused me in advance. No need to stress this again.

Fine, just pointing out what I meant with "heat".

>   - when in fact you are
> > the one that got it wrong.
>
> This was nothing about me getting something right or wrong. I started this
> thread in order to understand.

Fine, then please don't accuse me of "questioning" Pavel's work or
"discouraging" it or whatever, because I have done no such thing. Ever.
On the contrary.

> Please point me to what I got wrong in
>
> -
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110648.html

AFAICT you got nothing "wrong" there - even though I don't agree with
you. :) (another story)

> and/or what I got wrong in
>
> -
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110707.html

Nothing wrong - it just contains questions AFAICT.

> > Which is fine of course - we all make
> > mistakes,
>
> How can I be wrong by asking questions? I do not tolerate you blame me
> "making mistakes" when I post questions.

I was referring to this post:

        http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110
685.html

In which I think you "got it wrong" about what Pavel has and has not
done etc.

> > but why pushing it so hard?
>
> It is perhaps so that you and I got confused (somehow) on utility of
> Pavel's work.
>
> > For example you write "So how come
> > you still question it?" etc, no - I don't "question" it.
>
> O.K. I respect what you write here in response to my question. Thank you.

Your question states that I do indeed question something, which I don't.
Ok?

> > It is just not
> > relevant in this discussion (for the readers not following this in
> > detail: since Pavel indeed has not separated eToys from Morphic, which
> > is the subject at hand).
>
> Well, I read the sentence with the "relevance" word as: you're reflecting
> on yourself. No comment, could possibly cause confusion.

I don't follow, but it doesn't matter I guess.

> > Perhaps I am misunderstanding your choice of words and tone, so ok,
> > fine.
>
> That's quite possible. And it's also possible that I misunderstood your
> remarks on Pavel's good work.
>
> I want to point out that [part of] my intention was to understand why
> Pavel's good work would not be relevant, and this question *is* subject in
> this thread.

Sure, but why didn't you just ASK that then instead of rambling about me
questioning it and a conspiracy and what not?

> >> Well, Pavel's work seems to be not interesting enough for people (like
> >> you?) to put their hands on and judge themselves. Instead [and
> >> (ab-)using
> >> your PS remarks] it, the work, is questioned. No clear picture. What
> >> would/could be the reason for a public such a discouragement? If you
> >> understand tit-for-tat, that's why I put the "conspiracy" word in this
> >> thread.
> >
> > Sigh. I am *not* discouraging the work of Pavel - I am actually very
> > impressed! And btw, I have been advocating Pavel's work in other
> > contexts etc,
>
> Great! Will value your words by the actions that will be seen in the
> future - no offense intended!

Likewise. Even though I have no idea why you have any reason to doubt my
word.

> > so no - I am definitely not part of any "conspiracy"
> > against Pavel - though I sincerely doubt there is such a thing. :)
>
> O.K. I respect your doubts. (BTW and OT: a "conspiracy" is not a
> conspiracy.)

Lost you.

> > But the point remains - we are discussing the *separation* between
> > Morphic and eToys.
>
> This was not so at the beginning of this thread (and so perhaps caused
> some confusion, between you and me). I agree that *separation* is [part
> of] the outcome of this thread.

Ehm, well, you started this particular subject (I think) - but you
referred to the *ongoing debate* which was AFAIK started by Juan in this
post:

        http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110
359.html

So I was pretty convinced that *this* is what we are talking about. And
since I felt people were talking in circles I took the liberty of
clarifying the subject in this post:

        http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110
678.html

Which Pavel also verified later (that he has not separated eToys from
Morphic).

> > Pavel has made Morphic+eToys unloadable/reloadable -
> > but that is a totally different story IMHO, albeit an interesting one.
>
> I disagree, since I asked for the whatabouts of this story. This is
> perhaps why you felt I was asking so hard (you and me had different
> stories). For your convenience, I repeat from my very first message:
>
> quote "I'm neither a proponent nor an opponent of removing Etoys, Morphic,
> etc. Instead, I'm wondering what this debate might be about ..." unquote.

And I repeat from your first message (which definitely was not the first
in the *debate*):

"Instead, I'm wondering what this debate might be about (myth?
conspiracy?  who in squeak-dev knows ;-)"

And thus I tried explaining to you (and others) *what this debate* is
about indeed.

> >> in
> >> other
> >>
> >> But not for every application. So flaps are an option at best and when
> >> making things unloadable/reloadable I'd vote for flaps becoming an
> >> optional package.
> >
> > I agree in theory, but as for the actual practicality I leave that to
> > Juan.
>
> O.K. let Juan the maker decide what he puts his hands on.

Right - doers decide, and he just posted with a very good list IMHO. I
agree with it 100%, again. :)

> > When arguing for flaps I was more thinking along the lines of what kind
> > of Morphic experience we would like to have in the "default" dev image -
> > and I can imagine we want flaps to be in there.
>
> Sure, me too can imagine that the developers want to use flaps.
>
> > But I agree - if it can
> > be made a loadable package I am all with ya.
>
> Now *this* was [part of] what this thread was about :)

Flaps? Then I am totally lost. ;)

> /Klaus

I really think we got it off in a strange way here - I have no idea why.
I really just want the best from all of us, I really don't question
anyones work, I really don't think there is any conspiracy going on, and
I really am just one of us.

regards, Göran

I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

Since it feels that we are getting more concrete here I decided to
rename the subject. Perhaps people join up in the discussion again. :)

Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Goran!
>
> [hidden email] escribió:
> > Hi Juan and all!
> >
> > I just want to say I am 100% with you on all this.
> >
> Thanks. It's nice to know that.

Though I am just one of "us" you know. :) But yes, it is nice to feel
that people agree - and as I said I am all with you for three major
reasons:

1. You are a doer. You have already proved that.
2. You are committed to this. We don't have many people committed to
Morphic development (on this low level) these days and I value each and
every one highly.
3. You have a plan.

And my principle is that if someone is itching to improve something and
has the above 3 things, then there is not much to argue about - I say
go. :)

> > Could you possibly (as you probably know Morphic/eToys better than most
> > of us) list the parts that we could "decide" about leaving in or ripping
> > out? Lex started a list, but he also included some things that I had not
> > thought were included (like ImageSegment for example).
> >
> To me eToys what you can find in the eToys package. That's why I put it
> there!

:)

> Going thru Lex's list. (Lex, I didn't answer to your post because I
> think the list should be built by the community, and I didn't want to
> sound authoritative on this!)
> - Tile based programming system. Yes. The central part of eToys.
> - Halos. No. Halos are key to Morphic.
> - Named morph search. No. I'd put this in 'MorphicExtras'.
> - Uniclasses. Yes. They were implemented in Squeak to support eToys. And
> they are not Smalltalky to me. However, 'make own subclass' is not
> eTtoys, and distinct from uniclasses to me.
> - SmartRefStream and ImageSegments. No! Why would they?
> - Projects and saving projects. No.
> - Paint tool. No.
> - Flaps. No.

I think this list sounds perfect to me.

> Anyway, I don't want to say what should be removed and what should not.
> But clearly in my reduced 3.7 image, I removed lots of stuff besides eToys.
> Let me repeat: To me eToys what it is in the eToys package.
> > I think it would be a nice way forward in this discussion.
> >
> > regards, Göran
> >
> > PS. This subject came up around an OOPSLA hacking table with Dan present
> > - he also remarked that Morphic is indeed quite small - if you consider
> > only Morphic itself.
> :)
> > But we did not discuss the issue at any great
> > length. Also Doug applied your recipe to have a look at the result etc.
> >
> Doug, I'd like to know what were your impressions on this!
> > We never got around to any personal conclusions, though. But I for one
> > applaud and greatly appreciate your diligence in this matter and I think
> > it would be GREAT to have a small "isolated" clean Morphic in Squeak
> > that is maintained and proven. And I am probably not alone in that.
> >

> Well, I hope you're interested in my Morphic 3.0 project then. It is my
> vision for morphic improvement. Check www.jvuletich.org !

I am. Let me put this interest in some perspective btw:

1. Morphic is proven to work. But seems to be in a mess and thus is
brittle and also not maintained much because people can't get a grip and
are also appalled about lots of the stuff that is in there today (eToys
related I think). So it is sitting still today. Btw, this is MY primary
objective behind getting eToys out - because I want a more attractive
Morphic that then might get maintained instead of just sit there.

2. Tweak came along and people interested in these things probably
decided to hang around and wait to see if Tweak would end up replacing
Morphic in "official Squeak". Now it seems to not go that route, at
least not in a hurry. I love the fact that we have Tweak and new ideas
etc, but perhaps it is time to grab what we have and make the best of it
instead of waiting for Tweak.

So... Juan stepping up and offering his time to produce a clean,
maintainable and rejuvenated Morphic is IMHO Right On Cue.

I hope that people raise their voices and give him their support.
I then hope that the next release team (3 people that we still do not
know who they are) considers giving Juan a slot in 3.10 for this
rejuvenation, and I also hope that the board show their support in this.
And I hope that Juan is willing to take on the Steward role for Morphic
together with a few more brave souls with an interest in Morphic (there
are a few I think). I bet perhaps even Dan Ingalls could be interested,
but he might be too busy at work.

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

regards, Göran

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Laurence Rozier
I don't support what Juan's proposal as stated. I'd like to hear why you, Juan or anyone else don't agree with what Jecel/Guy proposed

>if we can unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys in the
>full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
>removing it.

which mirrors what I said in "Smalltalk Reloaded". More specifically, do folks supporting Juan's proposal disagree with my statement:

>All other considerations aside, if e-toys is unloaded from the main distribution and cannot be easily reloaded by a new Squeaker,there will be confusion and for many disappointment and/or some other non-positive experience.

For me it's not that I'm opposed to a cleaner Morphic, I just don't want to add stumbling blocks for wider acceptance at a time when eToy images are getting more and more visibility. Sure it would be nice to see the default image with a cleaner Morphic but not at any price - especially since Spoon is coming. It's not clear to me whether the upside of a cleaner Morphic will be that great or long lasting because I believe we're in the early stages of a big paradigm shift in which Croquet UI(oh where is Wicket?) is where the action is. In this new paradigm, I don't know whether a cleaner Morphic is going to have advantages over Tweak.

Cheers,

Laurence

Hi all!

Since it feels that we are getting more concrete here I decided to
rename the subject. Perhaps people join up in the discussion again. :)

Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Goran!
>
> [hidden email] escribió:
> > Hi Juan and all!
> >
> > I just want to say I am 100% with you on all this.
> >
> Thanks. It's nice to know that.

Though I am just one of "us" you know. :) But yes, it is nice to feel
that people agree - and as I said I am all with you for three major
reasons:

1. You are a doer. You have already proved that.
2. You are committed to this. We don't have many people committed to
Morphic development (on this low level) these days and I value each and
every one highly.
3. You have a plan.

And my principle is that if someone is itching to improve something and
has the above 3 things, then there is not much to argue about - I say
go. :)

> > Could you possibly (as you probably know Morphic/eToys better than most
> > of us) list the parts that we could "decide" about leaving in or ripping
> > out? Lex started a list, but he also included some things that I had not
> > thought were included (like ImageSegment for example).
> >
> To me eToys what you can find in the eToys package. That's why I put it
> there!

:)

Ok, let me quote so that you don't need to skip back, Jecel wrote:

> This is a plan that is practical and which I fully support: if we can
> unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys in the
> full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
> removing it. I don't mind at all eliminating the Flash logo, the welcome
> windows and other stuff every time I begin working with a newly
> downloaded image. The fact that I can't get any of these easily back if
> I want has never been a problem since I could just start over from a
> clean image.
>
> Sure, a reloadable eToys would be even better but I doubt it will
> happen.

My problem with that proposal is that it means that Morphic is actually
not cleaned up - it would just persist as it is today.

It also means that any cleanup that such a removal-script would do in
itself (and Juan has already said that such a delta script is NOT easy
to maintain IIRC) would actually fork Morphic itself - people writing
code on top of Morphic in the future would have to wonder if it is being
run in the image-with-a-clean-morphic-without-etoys or in the
image-with-etoys.

In other words, the above sounds like either "status quo" or a fork of
Morphic. I dislike both. :)

Note that eToys is not a clean "addon" on top of Morphic - it is in fact
an intertwined mess with Morphic methods including lots of logic
specifically for eToys. So if you clean out eToys you end up with a
different Morphic.

I think it would be much better to lift the burden of eToys, let Juan do
his magic and give us an improved Morphic in the baseline - let anyone
step up and retrofit eToys on top of that as a cleaner addon, or not. In
either case - Squeakland is the place to go for eToys and has always
been.

> >if we can unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys
> in the
> >full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
> >removing it.
>
> which mirrors what I said in "Smalltalk Reloaded". More specifically, do
> folks supporting Juan's proposal disagree with my statement:
>
> >All other considerations aside, if e-toys is unloaded from the main
> distribution and cannot be easily reloaded by a new Squeaker,there will be
> confusion and for many disappointment and/or some other non-positive
> experience.

I am not sure I agree with this. Thing is, eToys in the "main distro"
(squeak.org) has been relatively unmaintained for some time I think
(others with better knowledge might disagree). I personally would not
trust eToys in official Squeak to work as one would expect it to work
relative to the Squeakland image.

And this goes especially for 3.9 and beyond, since Squeakland is 3.8
based.

So to rephrase myself - if we aim to minimize the risk of a non-positive
experience of eToys I think we should clearly and distinctly direct
people towards the Squeakland distro directly from the main page of
Squeak.org for those people looking specifically for eToys.

> For me it's not that I'm opposed to a cleaner Morphic, I just don't want to
> add stumbling blocks for wider acceptance at a time when eToy images are
> getting more and more visibility. Sure it would be nice to see the default
> image with a cleaner Morphic but not at any price - especially since Spoon
> is coming.

Mmmm, I don't see how Spoon relates technically to a cleanup of Morphic.
I consider those two efforts quite separate.

> It's not clear to me whether the upside of a cleaner Morphic wil=
> be that great or long lasting because I believe we're in the early stages o=
> a big paradigm shift in which Croquet
> UI<http://www.meshverse.com/2006/10/18/the-64-billion-dollar-question-reloa=
> ded/>(oh
> where is Wicket?) is where the action is. In this new paradigm, I don't kno=
> whether a cleaner Morphic is going to have advantages over Tweak.

It is not so much about which is "best". Tweak is radically different,
and many of those ideas are great (AFAICT). I have on the other hand
heard people moaning about it being hard to debug and as we all know -
it is not "ready" for Squeak.org yet. Again AFAIK.

I don't think we should sit around and wait for Tweak to save the day -
we have already done so to a certain extent and I think we should stop
doing that. Morphic is nice and it can be small and lean too. Juan
offers to give us that and I think that is great.

Also - yes, the Squeaklanders did spend time to update eToys in 3.8 with
the changes that were done in the Squeakland image. But will they keep
that up? I am very unsure about that, would be neat to hear more from
Michael Rueger (or someone) on that issue.

If they indeed have an intention of maintaining eToys in 3.9 and beyond
(which I doubt) then that would indeed make the question more
complicated.

> Cheers,
>
> Laurence

regards, Göran

PS. I don't claim the almighty truth - these are just my opinions based
on my perceptions and hunches. :)

Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi folks,

on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:46:31 +0100, Goran wrote:
> Hi Klaus!
>
> (this thread is really beaten to death, but whatever - let's beat it
> some more!)
>
> For the rest - this is a meta-post. We just blabber on about ourselves
> misunderstanding each other in order to get as far away from the subject
> as possible! :) :) (a joke)

So the two of us decided to settle the meta-issues in harmony and did so
despite of a mail blocking "spam firewall" :)

Everybody enjoy the rest of the debate about Etoys, Morphic and other
friends ;-)

/Klaus

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Markus Gälli-3
Hi Goran,

I don't. I am with Guy, Jecel, Klaus and probably many others.

On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:15 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> "Laurence Rozier" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't support what Juan's proposal as stated. I'd like to hear
>> why you,
>> Juan or anyone else don't agree with what Jecel/Guy proposed
>
> Ok, let me quote so that you don't need to skip back, Jecel wrote:
>
>> This is a plan that is practical and which I fully support: if we can
>> unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys
>> in the
>> full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way
>> option of
>> removing it. I don't mind at all eliminating the Flash logo, the
>> welcome
>> windows and other stuff every time I begin working with a newly
>> downloaded image. The fact that I can't get any of these easily
>> back if
>> I want has never been a problem since I could just start over from a
>> clean image.
>>
>> Sure, a reloadable eToys would be even better but I doubt it will
>> happen.

+1

> My problem with that proposal is that it means that Morphic is
> actually
> not cleaned up - it would just persist as it is today.

Yes, but as long as we don't have sth. cleaned up, I don't see the
point in removing the part of Squeak which will be actually the
killer application of Squeak - being installed on millions of
machines on the OLPC.
Several others - newbies and old-time squeakers - have mentioned
their interest in Etoys being included in the main squeak-dev. If
people/ kids using the OLPC or Squeaklanders come to squeak-dev and
see this essential part removed, they will be puzzled about it and we
will have difficulties to explain the issue to them.

I also strongly support the view of Ron Teitelbaum who thinks
removing Etoys to be a fork. Marcus was able to rip of some
changesets for speeding up Squeak 3.9 for inclusion in the olpc-
version, I doubt that these synergetic effects will become easier in
the future by removing Etoys.

Show us an improved version of Etoys which can substitute the current
one and I am all for _replacing_ the current with a new, tidier, and
_faster_ one than we currently have.
Let the "gothic" people build their streamlined minimal cathedrals as
easy as possible, but don't forget us barrock, playfull ones, until
we come up with something truly modern.

Concerning Juan's point

>>> Removing eToys implies deleting "eToys awareness" in lots of
>>> methods that would not be deleted. Even several instance
>>> variables as in MorphExtension. I don't know how to offer the
>>> user the option for removing it, let alone keep that option
>>> properly maintained in future Squeak versions.

I think, that overwriting would be allowed in the removal process.
Maintaining Squeak _with_ some form of Etoys is easier and more
important than maintaining it without them. And as Bert stated,
making Etoys reloadable is a hard if not impossible task.

Cheers,

Markus

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Stéphane Rollandin
[hidden email] wrote:

>> This is a plan that is practical and which I fully support: if we can
>> unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys in the
>> full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
>> removing it. I don't mind at all eliminating the Flash logo, the welcome
>> windows and other stuff every time I begin working with a newly
>> downloaded image. The fact that I can't get any of these easily back if
>> I want has never been a problem since I could just start over from a
>> clean image.
>>
>> Sure, a reloadable eToys would be even better but I doubt it will
>> happen.
>
> My problem with that proposal is that it means that Morphic is actually
> not cleaned up - it would just persist as it is today.

as I see it, my problem with *your* proposal is that we need to dump
eToys in order to gain a cleaned-up Morphic.

to me "code cleanup" does not mean that any functionality is lost. only
that the code is cleaned up. maybe I am too simple-minded :)

so your proposal is to kill etoys, which currently work just fine and is
used by many people, for the only reason that it does not seem to be
easy to clean it up. we had "if it's not broken, don't fix it", now it
seems we have "if it's not broken but ugly, then just kill it".

this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going here.
   why destroy Squeak ?

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Rollandin?= <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going here.
>    why destroy Squeak ?

Ok, I have for various reasons decided to drop out of this discussion.

I don't think I will be able to make my arguments and views any more
clear than the "nonsense" I have produced so far, and since I seem to be
the only one publically supporting Juan (perhaps there were a few more)
I am clearly outnumbered. And I don't feel encouraged to keep discussing
it this particular way, no - I don't know why we should destroy Squeak
btw.

And I should be doing other things anyway. ;)

The rest of squeak-dev will simply have to (and the board IMHO) figure
this one out.

regards, Göran

PS. I am kinda tired of the fact that hardly any change can be proposed
in this community without having tons of arguments raised against it.
Sure, this particular case is harder to judge - but the fact remains,
how can we keep all the Juans out there interested if they only meet
resistance when offering their time and energy? Sure, the medicine does
not taste good - dumping eToys hurts, I know that. But this problem is
generic. And no, don't bother replying to me specifically about this
because I don't have the energy to discuss anything right now.

RE: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Ron Teitelbaum
All,

I stand by the suggestion of either replacing Morphic and Etoys with Tweak
and Tweaks EToy implementation, since there is significant work going into
both, or adding a script that removes eToys from the main image upon
developer request.  If a further development of Morphic is wanted and that
development requires the removal of eToys from the main image, I support
that also.  In other words if we want Morphic 3.0 then the developer is
required to unload eToys and then load Morphic 3.0 into their own image.

I do not support removing eToys from the main image without replacing it
with Tweak and the new OLPC eToys.

The reason for my position is that I support community bridges which I have
discussed at length in previous postings.

My suggestion for 3.10 is to work towards consolidating current advancements
from all platforms, Tweak, eToys, Croquet and OLPC into Squeak's main image.
This follows the suggestion of finding work that is already completed and
ready for inclusion into the main image.

A question for Juan, can your Morphic 3.0 advancements be applied to Tweak?

Ron Teitelbaum

Hernan Tylim-2
Hi,

I just wanted to state something that I think most of all proponents of keeping etoys are missing. Sorry in advance if its not the case or this statement of mine sound a little harsh. (please blame my lack of a better english, and time to write it better)

I kept reading and reading this thread and the other ones related to it, and everybody who asked to keep etoys on squeak-dev seemed to me that they were not aware that the currently etoy image isn't the current squeak-dev.  If you want to use etoys you need to use the squeakland image.

While its true that etoys works on 3.9, remember that the maintainance of etoys is done on the squeakland image (which is not even a squeak-dev 3.8 image, only one based on it)

So what I don't understand is why everybody insists on  using etoys in squeak-dev 3.9, when the people behind etoys don't use, nor maintain, nor can make any kind of assurance about etoys in 3.9.

In fact I think its contraproducent to keep etoys in this setup. Because we risk that anyone wanting to use squeak because of etoys, they might have a bad etoy experience because they are using 3.9. I, on the other hand, would always direct all the people interested in etoys to an squeakland image instead.

Lastly I would like to ask Ron, Klaus, Jecel, Lex, Marcus, and the other people that on this thread said that wanted to keep etoys if they have considered this issue and I would like to know what they think. Again. Apologies if my mail didn't sound right. I am just curious and no offense was meant to anyone.

Regards,
Hernán

--
Saludos,
Hernán

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Hernan Tylim-2

Hi folks!

PS. I am kinda tired of the fact that hardly any change can be proposed
in this community without having tons of arguments raised against it.
Sure, this particular case is harder to judge - but the fact remains,
how can we keep all the Juans out there interested if they only meet
resistance when offering their time and energy? Sure, the medicine does
not taste good - dumping eToys hurts, I know that. But this problem is
generic. And no, don't bother replying to me specifically about this
because I don't have the energy to discuss anything right now.

Hi Goran, I know that you don't want to continue this, and that you don't want anyone to reply but anyways  :)

I think that we should stop trying to try to reach concensus on these things. Lets allow to have multiple squeak-dev images, don't make any one official, just make all equally public with good descriptions and be done with it.  My 0.02 cents

--
Saludos,
Hernán

RE: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Hernán,

That is a perfectly reasonable question.

My main concern is collaboration and community.  While I support Juan and
would like to know more about his work, it is very difficult for me to
believe that Juan will be able to provide more of an advancement for Squeak
then Tweak and Croquet will.  eToys is today is a bridge, even if it is
outdated.  Morphic in my opinion may be good for development tools, but
fails to provide an interface that is usable for more then that.  The
question is should we move Morphic forward without eToys so that it meets
the requirements of users.  My answer is that we have not listened to users
enough to know, we have not engaged enough resources to make it worth while
and we have not proven that our efforts will produce more then the large
scale development which is Tweak and Croquet will.

Does it make sense to work with and incorporate these new developments into
Squeak?  Yes I believe it does.  I would like to see Juan and other Squeak
developers work towards getting Tweak ready and include it in Squeak.  This
would be the best of both worlds, we could then better support Croquet out
of the box, and we would have a new cleaner Morphic model and eToys that
squeakland could help support.

I also support greater control and participation of the volunteer community.
I know that we are in transition and these issues are very important to
everyone.  While I support greater independence I believe the only way that
the community at large will progress is if we find a way to organize our
efforts in a way that allows us to provide valuable contributions.  That
involves greater user engagement, and in my opinion, a greater focus on
useful applications, or tools/components to build applications.  I do not
support cutting off our founders to gain that control and, as I have said
earlier, I believe that the competition and tension that these competing
groups create is a good thing.

Can Morphic 3.0 be implemented in Tweak?

Ron Teitelbaum

--
Saludos,
Hernán

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Markus Gälli-3
Hi Hernan,

> So what I don't understand is why everybody insists on  using etoys
> in squeak-dev 3.9, when the people behind etoys don't use, nor
> maintain, nor can make any kind of assurance about etoys in 3.9.

Because I truly believe that this is lack of energy and _not_ lack of
good will on their part.
We should strive to bring them back and not to exclude them. Having
all the tools available for 3.9 helps the etoys developers as much as
the seaside developers.

So I fully support Ron's view:
>> My suggestion for 3.10 is to work towards consolidating current
>> advancements
>> from all platforms, Tweak, eToys, Croquet and OLPC into Squeak's
>> main image.
>> This follows the suggestion of finding work that is already
>> completed and
>> ready for inclusion into the main image.

Having universes from Lex should support us in doing so.

> In fact I think its contraproducent to keep etoys in this setup.
> Because we risk that anyone wanting to use squeak because of etoys,
> they might have a bad etoy experience because they are using 3.9.
> I, on the other hand, would always direct all the people interested
> in etoys to an squeakland image instead.
>
> Lastly I would like to ask Ron, Klaus, Jecel, Lex, Marcus,

This would be Markus in that case... ;-)

> and the other people that on this thread said that wanted to keep
> etoys if they have considered this issue and I would like to know
> what they think. Again. Apologies if my mail didn't sound right. I
> am just curious and no offense was meant to anyone.

Cheers,

Markus

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Hernan Tylim wrote on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:59:14 -0300
> I just wanted to state something that I think most of all proponents of keeping
> etoys are missing. Sorry in advance if its not the case or this statement of mine
> sound a little harsh. (please blame my lack of a better english, and time to write
> it better)
>
> I kept reading and reading this thread and the other ones related to it, and
> everybody who asked to keep etoys on squeak-dev seemed to me that they
> were not aware that the currently etoy image isn't the current squeak-dev.
> If you want to use etoys you need to use the squeakland image.

Perhaps it would be better to say "it is recommended that you use the
Squeakland image".

> While its true that etoys works on 3.9, remember that the maintainance of
> etoys is done on the squeakland image (which is not even a squeak-dev 3.8
> image, only one based on it)

While it is natural that you have this impression, my own impression is
a bit different (it might be wrong). I see the following options
available to someone wanting to use eToys:

Squeak 3.9
Squeakland (based on 3.8)
SmallLand (based on 3.8)
OLPC (based on the Squeakland one)

This last option is the one that has the latest fixes and enhancements
to eToys but I am not sure that there is no plan to make this stuff
available to the others. My impression is that the current situation is
more due to the urgent deadlines of the OLPC project than to some plan
to fork things.

> So what I don't understand is why everybody insists on  using etoys in squeak-dev
> 3.9, when the people behind etoys don't use, nor maintain, nor can make any kind
> of assurance about etoys in 3.9.

I looked back at the last couple of month's discussions in this list and
found people speculating what the plans of the Squeakland group are but
not actual details from people in a position to know. So I will avoid
guessing myself and will wait to hear from them.

> In fact I think its contraproducent to keep etoys in this setup. Because we risk that
> anyone wanting to use squeak because of etoys, they might have a bad etoy
> experience because they are using 3.9. I, on the other hand, would always direct
> all the people interested in etoys to an squeakland image instead.

Having helped people on the #squeak IRC channel who were following some
tutorials about eToys and Kedama I agree this can be a problem. But
telling them to get a Squeakland image is not always a good solution.

> Lastly I would like to ask Ron, Klaus, Jecel, Lex, Marcus, and the other people
> that on this thread said that wanted to keep etoys if they have considered this issue
> and I would like to know what they think. Again. Apologies if my mail didn't sound
> right. I am just curious and no offense was meant to anyone.

What I want to avoid is a squeak-dev / squeakland fork. If this has
already happened (in a definitive way, temporary forks happen all the
time) then all my arguments are silly and should be ignored.

-- Jecel

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Jimmie Houchin-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Rollandin?= <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going here.
>>    why destroy Squeak ?
>
> Ok, I have for various reasons decided to drop out of this discussion.
>
> I don't think I will be able to make my arguments and views any more
> clear than the "nonsense" I have produced so far, and since I seem to be
> the only one publically supporting Juan (perhaps there were a few more)
> I am clearly outnumbered. And I don't feel encouraged to keep discussing
> it this particular way, no - I don't know why we should destroy Squeak
> btw.
>
> And I should be doing other things anyway. ;)
>
> The rest of squeak-dev will simply have to (and the board IMHO) figure
> this one out.
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. I am kinda tired of the fact that hardly any change can be proposed
> in this community without having tons of arguments raised against it.
> Sure, this particular case is harder to judge - but the fact remains,
> how can we keep all the Juans out there interested if they only meet
> resistance when offering their time and energy? Sure, the medicine does
> not taste good - dumping eToys hurts, I know that. But this problem is
> generic. And no, don't bother replying to me specifically about this
> because I don't have the energy to discuss anything right now.

Hello All,

I lurk most of the time but have played with Squeak and been on the list
a long time. :)

I too would love to see Juan's Morphic in Pavel's image.

It has already been expressly stated that those who use eToys do not use
the 3.9+ images. So the bug fixes, improvements, etc to eToys do not
occur in 3.9 but in the Squeakland image. So those who want eToys truly
will want the Squeakland image.

I cannot verify this but it would naively seem that there is already a
divergence between eToys in Squeakland and eToys in the main image. I
believe that divergence will only increase. I presume things change with
regard to eToys and potentially Morphic in the Squeakland version which
do not make to the 3.9 image. I could be wrong. But unless someone makes
the effort to track both and insure that those things get brought back
to 3.9+ then they are lost to the 3.9+ users. It would seem this is
already the case.

It seems that the fact is that if you want eToys don't use 3.9+. Use the
Squeakland image.

Pavel and Juan have done nothing to hurt or harm Squeak. What people can
do with Squeak only increased not decreased.

We already have image forks. Lots of them. People already pick which
image they want. Every release is technically to a certain extent a fork
and is used as such by people. There are people here who use a 3.7
image, some a 3.8.1 image, some the 3.9 image, some the new Developers
image, the Squeakland image, the Pier image, the Seaside image, etc.

If Squeakland's image has changes to Morphic and eToys that are not in
the 3.9+ image, then we no longer truly have a "Full image" because what
was once considered a part of that image is no longer present. It would
seem the only route to such an image is to either port the changes from
one to the other. Which direction is easier I can't say.

But no one to my knowledge has formulated such a plan nor has stepped up
to the plate to do it.

So it seems to me that the pro eToys side is a vote for the status quo,
because their is no one doing anything to actively pursue Morphic and
eToy maintenance current with Squeakland. On the cleaner Morphic and
smaller image side we have some people voting with their time and effort.

I am not trying to offend anyone and my apologies if I do so, it is most
definitely not my intent. Nor am I attempting to pressure anyone to put
their time, effort or money to do anything.

I am explicitly encouraging those who have stepped out to express a
vision and a plan with time and effort to pursue such. If there were
someone equally passionate about cleaning Morphic and eToys and bringing
them current with the current state of the art Morphic and eToys and had
a plan to do something. I would gladly cheer them on too.

I would truly love to see Squeak to have build-up-able images as opposed
to the distribute all and remove philosophy. And I would love to see
some pre-built images which target certain user groups, eToys, business
apps, web server, etc.

I believe Spoon, Pavel & Juan, offer hope for such a future.

Squeak is a diverse community. Lets build it up not bring it down.

A small image with Morphic 3 may be the best future eToys 2+ can have.
They are not mutually exclusive. It may be easier for a team to pick up
the ball to implement a clean eToys on top of Morphic 3. I don't think
Juan or Göran or anyone would be opposed.

Any way I am well over my 2cents. And I just saw a plethora of messages
flood my Squeak mailbox since I started this message.

Trying to encourage.

Jimmie

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

danil osipchuk
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:59:55 +0300, Stéphane Rollandin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> as I see it, my problem with *your* proposal is that we need to dump
> eToys in order to gain a cleaned-up Morphic.
>
> to me "code cleanup" does not mean that any functionality is lost. only
> that the code is cleaned up. maybe I am too simple-minded :)

How to change the fundament of a building and in the same time to avoid
removing of upper floors?

> so your proposal is to kill etoys, which currently work just fine and is
> used by many people, for the only reason that it does not seem to be
> easy to clean it up. we had "if it's not broken, don't fix it", now it
> seems we have "if it's not broken but ugly, then just kill it".

To be honest I never had been an etoys user and probably should not jump
in here. But anyway I wonder: if etoys are already working just fine right
now (in efficiently forked image) why do they can not be detangled from
the current squeak-dev image to allow it move forward?

> this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going here.
>    why destroy Squeak ?

Another point of view is that blocking any change going to squeak may
finally repell the majority of creative people from it and kill in a
different way (by not allowing to create a future). I'm not want to be
harsh (still not used to English unfortunately) but for me it if squeak
should die - then let it die: people may move to other projects which are
lacking support now (including Strongtalk).

> Stef

best regards,
        Danil

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Klaus D. Witzel
Hey Goran,

the two of us recently have thrown some "nonsense" words at each other and
I was *not* under the impression that you where getting tired just because
we did so :)

O.K. you should (also) be doing other things but that is no excuse!
Everybody else here should (also) be doing other things.

And if you're concerned that hardly any (major) change can be proposed
without having tons of arguments raised against it, then you're perhaps
suffering from the image based development of Squeak and other Smalltalks.
Imagine how easy it would be if you'd just have to change a handful of
"import" imperatives ;-)

Come back into the discussion, please. Your opinion is valuable here in
squeak-dev.

/Klaus

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:43:37 +0100, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Rollandin?= <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going here.
>>    why destroy Squeak ?
>
> Ok, I have for various reasons decided to drop out of this discussion.
>
> I don't think I will be able to make my arguments and views any more
> clear than the "nonsense" I have produced so far, and since I seem to be
> the only one publically supporting Juan (perhaps there were a few more)
> I am clearly outnumbered. And I don't feel encouraged to keep discussing
> it this particular way, no - I don't know why we should destroy Squeak
> btw.
>
> And I should be doing other things anyway. ;)
>
> The rest of squeak-dev will simply have to (and the board IMHO) figure
> this one out.
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. I am kinda tired of the fact that hardly any change can be proposed
> in this community without having tons of arguments raised against it.
> Sure, this particular case is harder to judge - but the fact remains,
> how can we keep all the Juans out there interested if they only meet
> resistance when offering their time and energy? Sure, the medicine does
> not taste good - dumping eToys hurts, I know that. But this problem is
> generic. And no, don't bother replying to me specifically about this
> because I don't have the energy to discuss anything right now.

Re: I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Laurence Rozier

Hi!

"Laurence Rozier" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't support what Juan's proposal as stated. I'd like to hear why you,
> Juan or anyone else don't agree with what Jecel/Guy proposed

Ok, let me quote so that you don't need to skip back, Jecel wrote:

> This is a plan that is practical and which I fully support: if we can
> unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys in the
> full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
> removing it. I don't mind at all eliminating the Flash logo, the welcome
> windows and other stuff every time I begin working with a newly
> downloaded image. The fact that I can't get any of these easily back if
> I want has never been a problem since I could just start over from a
> clean image.
>
> Sure, a reloadable eToys would be even better but I doubt it will
> happen.

My problem with that proposal is that it means that Morphic is actually
not cleaned up - it would just persist as it is today.

... I can see your point but what I had in mind was cleaning up Morphic and being able to "revert to the old Morphic with eToys" ... this is btw also where Spoon comes in(more below) and makes me wonder if there isn't a middle ground that would automatically detect whether a project being loaded is using old Morphic and then load that project as an isolated project along with old Morphic?

It also means that any cleanup that such a removal-script would do in
itself (and Juan has already said that such a delta script is NOT easy
to maintain IIRC) would actually fork Morphic itself - people writing
code on top of Morphic in the future would have to wonder if it is being
run in the image-with-a-clean-morphic-without-etoys or in the
image-with-etoys.
In other words, the above sounds like either "status quo" or a fork of
Morphic.
I dislike both. :)
Note that eToys is not a clean "addon" on top of Morphic - it is in fact
an intertwined mess with Morphic methods including lots of logic
specifically for eToys. So if you clean out eToys you end up with a
different Morphic.

Agreed. However, eToys was originally presented as a Morphic add-on and that is the impression many(most?) new comers will continue to have.

I think it would be much better to lift the burden of eToys, let Juan do
his magic and give us an improved Morphic in the baseline - let anyone
step up and retrofit eToys on top of that as a cleaner addon, or not.

 I understand the difficulties, but since it's taking away something that currently works, the onus is on the remover in my view.

In
either case - Squeakland is the place to go for eToys and has always
been.

 Oh if only it were that simple. Now if etoys had started out in a forked image that would be simple, but from the beginning etoys was in the only squeak image. IIRC the early browser plugin images were based on the current Squeak image. The Squeakland website has and continues in many places to make reference to Squeak without distinction and Google has recorded tons of this. No amount of assertion here will change that fact. We can decide that it doesn't matter, but it will be a long time before the close association between squeak.org and etoys is gone. Until then people who are attracted to Squeak because of etoys will continue to have bad impressions. This video makes it clear though it is somewhat painful for Squeakers regardless of what distribution they use to watch because it's not only about the etoy experience. Squeak and Smalltalk have done this over and over - we can't blame

> >if we can unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys

> in the
> >full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
> >removing it.
>
> which mirrors what I said in "Smalltalk Reloaded". More specifically, do
> folks supporting Juan's proposal disagree with my statement:
>
> >All other considerations aside, if e-toys is unloaded from the main
> distribution and cannot be easily reloaded by a new Squeaker,there will be
> confusion and for many disappointment and/or some other non-positive
> experience.

I am not sure I agree with this.
Thing is, eToys in the "main distro"
(squeak.org) has been relatively unmaintained for some time I think
(others with better knowledge might disagree). I personally would not
trust eToys in official Squeak to work as one would expect it to work
relative to the Squeakland image.

I understand but most people coming to the Squeak site don't have your perspective.

And this goes especially for 3.9 and beyond, since Squeakland is 3.8
based.

So to rephrase myself - if we aim to minimize the risk of a non-positive
experience of eToys I think we should clearly and distinctly direct
people towards the Squeakland distro directly from the main page of
Squeak.org for those people looking specifically for eToys.

That makes it less non-positive but it's still not an improvement IMO until the new morphic is used for something ... well new.

> For me it's not that I'm opposed to a cleaner Morphic, I just don't want to
> add stumbling blocks for wider acceptance at a time when eToy images are
> getting more and more visibility. Sure it would be nice to see the default
> image with a cleaner Morphic but not at any price - especially since Spoon
> is coming.

Mmmm, I don't see how Spoon relates technically to a cleanup of Morphic.
I consider those two efforts quite separate.

The etoy/morphic entanglement will eventually yield to imprinting and with a dynamically configurable image, we'll get the best of both worlds.

> It's not clear to me whether the upside of a cleaner Morphic wil=
> be that great or long lasting because I believe we're in the early stages o=
> a big paradigm shift in which Croquet
> UI<http://www.meshverse.com/2006/10/18/the-64-billion-dollar-question-reloa=
> ded/>(oh
> where is Wicket?) is where the action is. In this new paradigm, I don't kno=
> whether a cleaner Morphic is going to have advantages over Tweak.

It is not so much about which is "best". Tweak is radically different,
and many of those ideas are great (AFAICT). I have on the other hand
heard people moaning about it being hard to debug and as we all know -
it is not "ready" for Squeak.org yet. Again AFAIK.

I don't think we should sit around and wait for Tweak to save the day -
we have already done so to a certain extent and I think we should stop
doing that. Morphic is nice and it can be small and lean too. Juan
offers to give us that and I think that is great.

It is and I wouldn't mind at all seeing it but not at the price that's required for benefits that are not proven. If developers take the new etoyless, improved Morphic and start doing great things with it then a strong case can be made to break with the old. But that's not known yet, we could end up with a core Squeak that can't use etoys AND doesn't have much new to show because more people decide to go with Tweak or wxWidgets or ...

Also - yes, the Squeaklanders did spend time to update eToys in 3.8 with
the changes that were done in the Squeakland image. But will they keep
that up? I am very unsure about that, would be neat to hear more from
Michael Rueger (or someone) on that issue.

If they indeed have an intention of maintaining eToys in 3.9 and beyond
(which I doubt) then that would indeed make the question more
complicated.

> Cheers,
>
> Laurence

regards, Göran

PS. I don't claim the almighty truth - these are just my opinions based
on my perceptions and hunches. :)

I feel the same way. I also am looking at the history of Smalltalker's being our own worst enemy because we didn't consider how big an impact we could have if united in one interoperable ecosystem.

Cheers,

Laurence

danil osipchuk wrote:
>> to me "code cleanup" does not mean that any functionality is lost.
>> only that the code is cleaned up. maybe I am too simple-minded :)
>
> How to change the fundament of a building and in the same time to avoid
> removing of upper floors?

I don't know, I'm not into masonry, only computer science.

> To be honest I never had been an etoys user and probably should not jump
> in here. But anyway I wonder: if etoys are already working just fine
> right now (in efficiently forked image) why do they can not be detangled
> from the current squeak-dev image to allow it move forward?

I don't know, I did not implement eToys. I just use it, happily.

>> this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going
>> here.    why destroy Squeak ?
>
> Another point of view is that blocking any change going to squeak may
> finally repell the majority of creative people from it and kill in a
> different way (by not allowing to create a future). I'm not want to be
> harsh (still not used to English unfortunately) but for me it if squeak
> should die - then let it die: people may move to other projects which
> are lacking support now (including Strongtalk).

well I'm part of the creative people using Squeak. and if it gets
dismantled, I will stop working with it. so your point works the other
way round, too.

regards,

Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
> So it seems to me that the pro eToys side is a vote for the status quo,

there is a name for this kind of status quo: it's called "backward
compatibility". this is what I support.

Stef

12345