Request for interactive selector correction preference

Request for interactive selector correction preference

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

I'm currently working a lot in workspaces, and using
dynamically-generated selectors in my code. This means that I have to
close a lot of pop-up windows telling me I'm using an unknown selector.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a preference for turning off that
behavior ?

The thing happens right at the beginning in
Parser>>#correctSelector:wordIntervals:exprInterval:ifAbort:

where we have:

        "If we can't ask the user, assume that the keyword will be defined later"
        self interactive ifFalse: [^proposedKeyword asSymbol].

I would propose to make it

        (self interactive or: [ "...some preference..." ])
                ifFalse: [^proposedKeyword asSymbol].

What do you think ?

Stef

---

Re: Request for interactive selector correction preference

Chris Muller-3
> I'm currently working a lot in workspaces, and using dynamically-generated
> selectors in my code. This means that I have to close a lot of pop-up
> windows telling me I'm using an unknown selector.
>
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a preference for turning off that
> behavior ?

Yes.

> The thing happens right at the beginning in
> Parser>>#correctSelector:wordIntervals:exprInterval:ifAbort:
>
> where we have:
>
>         "If we can't ask the user, assume that the keyword will be defined
> later"
>         self interactive ifFalse: [^proposedKeyword asSymbol].
>
> I would propose to make it
>
>         (self interactive or: [ "...some preference..." ])
>                 ifFalse: [^proposedKeyword asSymbol].
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Stef
>
> ---
> Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant
> parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.

Re: Request for interactive selector correction preference

Stéphane Rollandin
Ok, should I implement this ? What is the best place for storing the
preference inst var (if we use a pragma) ? Or should I add an entry to
Preferences ?

>> I'm currently working a lot in workspaces, and using dynamically-generated
>> selectors in my code. This means that I have to close a lot of pop-up
>> windows telling me I'm using an unknown selector.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a preference for turning off that
>> behavior ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> The thing happens right at the beginning in
>> Parser>>#correctSelector:wordIntervals:exprInterval:ifAbort:
>>
>> where we have:
>>
>>          "If we can't ask the user, assume that the keyword will be defined
>> later"
>>          self interactive ifFalse: [^proposedKeyword asSymbol].
>>
>> I would propose to make it
>>
>>          (self interactive or: [ "...some preference..." ])
>>                  ifFalse: [^proposedKeyword asSymbol].
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Stef

Re: Request for interactive selector correction preference

Frank Shearar-3
On 7 January 2014 12:20, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, should I implement this ? What is the best place for storing the
> preference inst var (if we use a pragma) ? Or should I add an entry to
> Preferences ?

A Pragma, please! Parser seems like a not unreasonable place to put
the preference...?

frank