Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Tobias Pape
Hey,

can somebody please copy a vanilla yet recent 4.5 to the
ftp/files server? The current one we can get there still
has this 'About to serialize empty package' weirdness and
we sure do not want to scare away people who just
hit the update button with such a message…

Best
        -Tobias

On 19.01.2015, at 18:37, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> More scary is when they would encounter a corrupted (empty) package.  That message is intending to help us debug why that is happening..

We had this going on fore some while and I cannot
remember what the fix was in this case. Anyway,
an up-to-date Squeak 4.5 would surely help.

Best
        -Tobias

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> can somebody please copy a vanilla yet recent 4.5 to the
> ftp/files server? The current one we can get there still
> has this 'About to serialize empty package' weirdness and
> we sure do not want to scare away people who just
> hit the update button with such a message…
>
> Best
>        -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Chris Muller-3
I just downloaded Squeak4.5-13680.zip, unzipped it, and selected "Update Squeak".  It updated to 13696 just fine; no errors.

When are you seeing the empty mcz message?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 19.01.2015, at 18:37, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> More scary is when they would encounter a corrupted (empty) package.  That message is intending to help us debug why that is happening..

We had this going on fore some while and I cannot
remember what the fix was in this case. Anyway,
an up-to-date Squeak 4.5 would surely help.

Best
        -Tobias

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> can somebody please copy a vanilla yet recent 4.5 to the
> ftp/files server? The current one we can get there still
> has this 'About to serialize empty package' weirdness and
> we sure do not want to scare away people who just
> hit the update button with such a message…
>
> Best
>        -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Tobias Pape

On 19.01.2015, at 21:10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just downloaded Squeak4.5-13680.zip, unzipped it, and selected "Update Squeak".  It updated to 13696 just fine; no errors.
>
> When are you seeing the empty mcz message?

There:

https://imgur.com/a/IIOk1

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19.01.2015, at 18:37, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> More scary is when they would encounter a corrupted (empty) package.  That message is intending to help us debug why that is happening..
>>

> We had this going on fore some while and I cannot
> remember what the fix was in this case. Anyway,
> an up-to-date Squeak 4.5 would surely help.
>
> Best
>        -Tobias
>

>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> can somebody please copy a vanilla yet recent 4.5 to the
>> ftp/files server? The current one we can get there still
>> has this 'About to serialize empty package' weirdness and
>> we sure do not want to scare away people who just
>> hit the update button with such a message…
>>
>> Best
>>       -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Chris Muller-3
I deleted my package-cache and now I see it.

It looks like this check was since moved higher where it would not get triggered unnecessarily.  So its fixed in trunk.  Unfortunate ofr the old version to be in 4.5 along with other issues too.  Hopefully we'll find energy to make another 4.5 at least we know 4.6 won't have it.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19.01.2015, at 21:10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just downloaded Squeak4.5-13680.zip, unzipped it, and selected "Update Squeak".  It updated to 13696 just fine; no errors.
>
> When are you seeing the empty mcz message?

There:

https://imgur.com/a/IIOk1

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19.01.2015, at 18:37, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> More scary is when they would encounter a corrupted (empty) package.  That message is intending to help us debug why that is happening..
>>

> We had this going on fore some while and I cannot
> remember what the fix was in this case. Anyway,
> an up-to-date Squeak 4.5 would surely help.
>
> Best
>        -Tobias
>

>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> can somebody please copy a vanilla yet recent 4.5 to the
>> ftp/files server? The current one we can get there still
>> has this 'About to serialize empty package' weirdness and
>> we sure do not want to scare away people who just
>> hit the update button with such a message…
>>
>> Best
>>       -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Tobias Pape

On 19.01.2015, at 23:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I deleted my package-cache and now I see it.
>
> It looks like this check was since moved higher where it would not get triggered unnecessarily.  So its fixed in trunk.  Unfortunate ofr the old version to be in 4.5 along with other issues too.  Hopefully we'll find energy to make another 4.5 at least we know 4.6 won't have it.

What's necessary besides
        -update
        -cleanup (if even necessary)
        -upload?

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Chris Muller-4
- Backport all the fixes we need (this + the rename fix + ??)
- Update the All-In-One.
- Someone must sign All-In-One.
- Test signed All-In-One (windows, Linux, Mac).
- Upload All-In-One.
- Upload plain image + changes.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19.01.2015, at 23:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I deleted my package-cache and now I see it.
>>
>> It looks like this check was since moved higher where it would not get triggered unnecessarily.  So its fixed in trunk.  Unfortunate ofr the old version to be in 4.5 along with other issues too.  Hopefully we'll find energy to make another 4.5 at least we know 4.6 won't have it.
>
> What's necessary besides
>         -update
>         -cleanup (if even necessary)
>         -upload?
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Tobias Pape

On 20.01.2015, at 01:04, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - Backport all the fixes we need (this + the rename fix + ??)
> - Update the All-In-One.
> - Someone must sign All-In-One.
> - Test signed All-In-One (windows, Linux, Mac).
> - Upload All-In-One.
> - Upload plain image + changes.

I understand.
I just asked for an image where someone has hit the update button.
But yes, somewhen™ we definitely should do these things :)

Bets
        -Tobias

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 19.01.2015, at 23:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I deleted my package-cache and now I see it.
>>>
>>> It looks like this check was since moved higher where it would not get triggered unnecessarily.  So its fixed in trunk.  Unfortunate ofr the old version to be in 4.5 along with other issues too.  Hopefully we'll find energy to make another 4.5 at least we know 4.6 won't have it.
>>
>> What's necessary besides
>>        -update
>>        -cleanup (if even necessary)
>>        -upload?
>>
>> Best
>>        -Tobias

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 20.01.2015, at 01:04, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - Backport all the fixes we need (this + the rename fix + ??)
> - Update the All-In-One.
> - Someone must sign All-In-One.
> - Test signed All-In-One (windows, Linux, Mac).
> - Upload All-In-One.
> - Upload plain image + changes.

I understand.
I just asked for an image where someone has hit the update button.
But yes, somewhen™ we definitely should do these things :)

ANy old 4.5 image or the release one?

Bets
        -Tobias

--
best,
Eliot

Re: Request: new 4.5 artifact.

Tobias Pape

On 20.01.2015, at 01:30, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 20.01.2015, at 01:04, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > - Backport all the fixes we need (this + the rename fix + ??)
> > - Update the All-In-One.
> > - Someone must sign All-In-One.
> > - Test signed All-In-One (windows, Linux, Mac).
> > - Upload All-In-One.
> > - Upload plain image + changes.
> >

> I understand.
> I just asked for an image where someone has hit the update button.
> But yes, somewhen™ we definitely should do these things :)
>
> ANy old 4.5 image or the release one?

I don't understand the question.
I would take the current release image on the file server and
update it, and put it back with a new number.
  For the all-in-one, similar process.
(But I would remove the update number from the image inside the
all-in-one )

Best
        -Tobias

> Bets
>         -Tobias

> >> What's necessary besides
> >>        -update
> >>        -cleanup (if even necessary)
> >>        -upload?
> >>
> >> Best
> >>        -Tobias

tty

Re: Re: [squeak-dev] Request: new 4.5 artifact.

tty
For some reason, the packaging of the  4.5.zip file changed last summer/fall and an extra directory was introduced .
This messed with existing scripts in Cog/image/*.sh

cheers.

tty.

---- On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:04:02 -0500 Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote ----