(Resend) Where to get current code destined for "official" Unix Squeak VM?

(Resend) Where to get current code destined for "official" Unix Squeak VM?

dcorking
Hi, this may be an FAQ or I may just have overlooked something
obvious. The reason I got confused is that some vm-dev posters seem to
use sources from the Cog project's gitorious repository to build Stack
VMs on a Jenkins server, and yet http://squeakvm.org/unix/ links to a
subversion repository :

1. Which is the current tarball for building official VMs for unix?
(Is it http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src.tar.gz
?)

2. Which is the source code repository for the current Unix Squeak VM
code (in case I need to suggest a patch) ?
(Is it  http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk or
https://git.gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git ?)

3. Which Squeak image contains the current SLANG source code to emit
VM C sources? (I guess Squeak Trunk, that is
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-11860.zip with updates from the
trunk repository in Monticello. Again, in case I need to submit a
patch.)

David
(p.s. I need sources in order to figure out if I can get all the x86_64
plugins working. There are no official builds I know of for x86_64,
and the Fedora koji build system suggests to me, if I read the koji
output correctly, that there is some unintended bitrot in Fedora's 64
bit support for squeak.)

Re: (Resend) Where to get current code destined for "official" Unix Squeak VM?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:23:28PM +0000, David Corking wrote:
> Hi, this may be an FAQ or I may just have overlooked something
> obvious. The reason I got confused is that some vm-dev posters seem to
> use sources from the Cog project's gitorious repository to build Stack
> VMs on a Jenkins server, and yet http://squeakvm.org/unix/ links to a
> subversion repository :
>
> 1. Which is the current tarball for building official VMs for unix?
> (Is it http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src.tar.gz
> ?)

This is the most recent tarball, which is effectively a snapshot of
the sources as of the time at which that set of Unix VMs was built.

> 2. Which is the source code repository for the current Unix Squeak VM
> code (in case I need to suggest a patch) ?
> (Is it ?http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk or
> https://git.gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git ?)

The sources consist of the platform support code along with the code
that is directly generated from Smalltalk. The platform sources are
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk and the Smalltalk code is in
Monticello files "VMMaker-xxx.yyy" in the http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker
repository.

The Cog VM is a branch with platform sources in http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog
and Smalltalk code "VMMaker.oscog-xxx.yyy" in the http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker repository.
See Eliot's page at http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/ for information.

A number of related VM projects are under active development, including
git based repositories, automated cross-platform builds, and VMs custom
adapted to support specific projects (e.g. Pharo), and new Android VM
development. For build procedures, see package CMakeVMMaker in the
source.squeak.org/VMMaker repository. The Subversion trunk and
branches/Cog repositories contain build procedures and documentation
from their respective authors, including the original cmake build
system currently in use with Ian's unix trunk VMs.

The Jenkins server and git mirror repository with CMakeVMMaker
are supported by the Pharo project, and you can find many instructional
videos and blogs documenting progress on this front.

> 3. Which Squeak image contains the current SLANG source code to emit
> VM C sources? (I guess Squeak Trunk, that is
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-11860.zip with updates from the
> trunk repository in Monticello. Again, in case I need to submit a
> patch.)

The Smalltalk source code for the VM (aka "slang") was originally
included in all Squeak images, but in recent years has been maintained
as an external package (VMMaker) hosted in the source.squeak.org/VMMaker
repository.

> David
> (p.s. I need sources in order to figure out if I can get all the x86_64
> plugins working. There are no official builds I know of for x86_64,
> and the Fedora koji build system suggests to me, if I read the koji
> output correctly, that there is some unintended bitrot in Fedora's 64
> bit support for squeak.)

Some portions of the VM (plugins) contain code that has not been
cleaned up for compiling on 64-bit platforms, and for this reason
it is common to compile VMs in 32-bit mode (-m32) for use on 64-bit
Linux, with the requirement that users install various 32-bit libraries.
If you are building a VM for your own use, you may prefer to compile
in native 64-bit mode.

Dave