Resources for writing a to-spec Smalltalk VM

Resources for writing a to-spec Smalltalk VM

ArooBaito
Hello!

Recently I've been reading about a lot of the cool projects people have
done, such as writing VMs to run the old Smalltalk images like Smalltalk 78
and Smalltalk 80, and I was looking to do something similar myself.

Specifically I'm really impressed with the Caffeine project as well as
Vanessa's SqueakJS that was used as a base, and I wanted to replicate
SqueakJS on a much smaller scale for learning purposes. I'm aiming just to
re-create Vanessa's 0.1 version of the project that ran the stripped down
"mini.image".

I'm pretty familiar with writing VMs/bytecode interpreters having written a
couple before, such as one on top of the Godot game engine and a compiler in
Pharo that compiles to the bytecode for it, but I was hoping to find more
Smalltalk-specific resources.

So far I've collected the Goldberg/Robinson "Smalltalk-80: The Language and
its Implementation", the ANSI Smalltalk spec, and Vanessa's git commits for
the month she wrote version 0.1.

My twin brother is writing a Javascript VM for a subset of Common Lisp in
the same fashion, and he's got a couple more "hand-hold-y" books on the
subject. That'd be nice to have, but I don't think anything like that exists
for Smalltalk, and I don't really need everything handed to me anyway I
suppose.

Are there any other resources that you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Resources for writing a to-spec Smalltalk VM

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
ArooBaito,

other people will probably also recommend this, but here is one more
vote for Tim's chapter of the Squeak book as a great starting point:

http://www.rowledge.org/resources/tim%27s-Home-page/Squeak/OE-Tour.pdf

Though Eliot's blog is about what he changed from that, the first part
of each entry is a really good explanation of "how things used to be"
(which is what you want to know about):

http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/

(see the numbered entries on the left under "COG")

-- Jecel

Re: Resources for writing a to-spec Smalltalk VM

ArooBaito
Looks like good stuff! Thanks, I really appreciate it, Jecel!