Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Conrad Taylor
Hi, how does one find and set a standard list of method categories within Squeak?  I thought that it would provide a select list when I went to create a category.

-Conrad

Re: Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Enno Schwass
Hi

> Hi, how does one find and set a standard list of method categories
> within Squeak?

It depends on categorie. There is no REAL standard list.

Some morphs have a protocol called event handling or geometry. Some
dont.
Other objects never need event handling.

Another often used protocol is initialization. Or testing.  But its
not part of the language.
Its part of the environment. Just check squeaks class library to get
some
inspiration for naming.

>  I thought that it would provide a select list when I went to
> create a category.

I does. But only a few ones. Just create your owns if there is
nothing else fitting.

bye
Enno

Re: Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Conrad Taylor
Hi, the following menu is displayed when I go to add a category in a clean image:

BEGIN_MENU:

Add Category
-------------------
New...
updating
callbacks
initializing
navigating
opening
applying primitives
closure-prims
comparing
debugging
initialize-release
objects from disk
system primitives
testing

END_MENU

On 8/9/07, Enno Schwass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

> Hi, how does one find and set a standard list of method categories
> within Squeak?

It depends on categorie. There is no REAL standard list.

Some morphs have a protocol called event handling or geometry. Some
dont.
Other objects never need event handling.

Another often used protocol is initialization. Or testing.  But its
not part of the language.
Its part of the environment. Just check squeaks class library to get
some
inspiration for naming.

>  I thought that it would provide a select list when I went to
> create a category.

I does. But only a few ones. Just create your owns if there is
nothing else fitting.

bye
Enno

Re: Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Michael Davies-2
On 09/08/07, Michael Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Conrad,
>
> Here's how to find your answer. In the previous menu, instead of
> clicking on "new category...", ctl-click on twice it to bring up its
> halos (first ctl-click shows halos for the whole menu, second for that
> item only). Click the spanner halo and select "inspect morph". Three
> key properties can be found in the left-hand list, which will allow to
> you find out what will happen when you click that item: the target (ie
> who will get called), the selector (ie method name that will be
> called), and the arguments. Select "selector", and you'll see it's a
> "perform..." which implies that the real method name will be one of
> the arguments. Select "arguments" and you'll see it's an array, with
> first argument being "#addCategory". Double-click that (to select the
> text), and press ctl-M to find implementers.
>
> There's only one, and that shows the list being built up in quite a
> few steps, but it basically finds all the categories *already* *used*
> by the classes' superclasses. So there is no standard dictionary of
> categories - it's created on the fly whenever you click that menu
> item.
>
> I hope this answers your question,
> Michael

RE: Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Ramon Leon-5
> Hi, the following menu is displayed when I go to add a
> category in a clean image:
>
> BEGIN_MENU:
>
> Add Category
> -------------------
> New...
> updating
> callbacks
> initializing
> navigating
> opening
> applying primitives
> closure-prims
> comparing
> debugging
> initialize-release
> objects from disk
> system primitives
> testing
>
> END_MENU

I'm fairly sure the category list is dynamically computed from all of the
categories in a classes superclasses, there is no standard list.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Retrieving a list of standard method categories?

Conrad Taylor
Hi Ramon, thanks for the information.