Roassal on the web

Usman Bhatti
Hi Alex,

Any updates of the project about constructing visualizations with Roassal for the web (with Amber?)?
Did that project get accepted for GSoc? If not, do you plan to have a version of Roassal that could allow scripting visualizations on the web (with Seaside)?

Because soon we'll need it ;).

regards,

usman

Re: Roassal on the web

abergel
Hi Usman,

Pablo did a lot of work on this, maybe he should have communicated a bit more :-)
You can have a look at it:
http://pestefo.github.io/roamber/

Only a subset of Roassal has been ported on Amber. It would be great if you could assess what you actually need.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Oct 21, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Any updates of the project about constructing visualizations with Roassal for the web (with Amber?)?
> Did that project get accepted for GSoc? If not, do you plan to have a version of Roassal that could allow scripting visualizations on the web (with Seaside)?
>
> Because soon we'll need it ;).
>
> regards,
>
> usman

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal on the web

Usman Bhatti

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Usman,

Pablo did a lot of work on this, maybe he should have communicated a bit more :-)
You can have a look at it:
http://pestefo.github.io/roamber/

Very nice, I didn't know about its existence.

Only a subset of Roassal has been ported on Amber. It would be great if you could assess what you actually need.

Ok, I'll let you know if that suits our needs when we start using it. In the meantime, will there be a way to construct roassal visualizations on the web without needing to use Amber? Do you plan to do it?

regards,

Usman

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Oct 21, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Any updates of the project about constructing visualizations with Roassal for the web (with Amber?)?
> Did that project get accepted for GSoc? If not, do you plan to have a version of Roassal that could allow scripting visualizations on the web (with Seaside)?
>
> Because soon we'll need it ;).
>
> regards,
>
> usman

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal on the web

abergel
Hi!

Sorry for latency in my reply.

> Ok, I'll let you know if that suits our needs when we start using it. In the meantime, will there be a way to construct roassal visualizations on the web without needing to use Amber? Do you plan to do it?

Well, we can produce SVG files from Roassal @ Pharo. This means you are free to serve it via a web server directly or not.

Try this:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| builder |
builder := ROMondrianViewBuilder new.
builder nodes: Collection withAllSubclasses.
builder edgesFrom: #superclass.
builder treeLayout.
builder applyLayout.
ROExportSVGCommand new exportView: builder view
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I think Amber cannot be avoided as soon as you want to interact with the visualization.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Oct 21, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > Any updates of the project about constructing visualizations with Roassal for the web (with Amber?)?
> > Did that project get accepted for GSoc? If not, do you plan to have a version of Roassal that could allow scripting visualizations on the web (with Seaside)?
> >
> > Because soon we'll need it ;).
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > usman

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal on the web

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
abergel wrote
You can have a look at it:
http://pestefo.github.io/roamber/

Only a subset of Roassal has been ported on Amber
The link is broken. Is the code accessible somewhere else? Is its state the same as described earlier in this thread? Thanks!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Roassal on the web

Usman Bhatti

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
abergel wrote
> You can have a look at it:
> http://pestefo.github.io/roamber/
>
> Only a subset of Roassal has been ported on Amber

The link is broken. Is the code accessible somewhere else? Is its state the
same as described earlier in this thread? Thanks!

Probably off topic, lately we worked with Alex to export the Roassal visualizations to the web (both SVG and HTML). The idea is open the possibility to export visualization with Seaside without requiring Amber. You can find some examples in Roassal 2.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Roassal on the web

philippeback
I've been using some exports but the look and rendering of the thing is not up to what one can do with the tick client.

That made me do D3js directly as it was easier to get the results (but the RT (or RO at the time) object model is easier to understand) in the Seaside app.

As a general feeling, RT is great for local visualisations but for web visualisations it is close to nowhere compared to the competition (not sure we want to go there anyway).

What is the roadmap there, if any?

Phil

On Aug 21, 2014, at 7:28 AM, philippeback [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been using some exports but the look and rendering of the thing is not up to what one can do with the tick client.
So just the image, no interaction, right? Not really what I meant...

As a general feeling, RT is great for local visualisations but for web visualisations it is close to nowhere compared to the competition (not sure we want to go there anyway).
I find this comment intriguing. What are some examples of these light-years-ahead web visualizations? And why wouldn’t we want to “go there”? For me, the purpose of all these tools is self-expression, and if I’m using a visualization tool, I want to be able to express myself equally well whether on my local computer, or on a public-facing website. What am I missing?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Roassal on the web

abergel
Hi Sean,

You can have a look at
https://bitbucket.org/sergiomaass/roamber20

But it does not work well. Events are apparently not properly handled.

We are working on an html exporter. A first prototype is available. Check the class  RTHTMLExporterExample

Alexandre

On Aug 19, 2014, at 10:12 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> abergel wrote
>> You can have a look at it:
>> http://pestefo.github.io/roamber/
>>
>> Only a subset of Roassal has been ported on Amber
>
> The link is broken. Is the code accessible somewhere else? Is its state the
> same as described earlier in this thread? Thanks!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal on the web

philippeback

D3 and friends.

All web based.

I used ROHtmlExporter and made my own based on it but it was having problems. Now, I haven't looked at RT aka RO 2 as I moved to D3 in the webapp.

As for why keep the current thing going in pharo/non web is that it gives a powerful capability and I would say that is is better to make it excellent than to play catch up.

HTH

Phil

Phil

Le 22 août 2014 04:17, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Sent from the Moose mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Roassal on the web

abergel
Yes, and we will continue to push that very very hard in the coming year.

Alexandre

On Aug 21, 2014, at 11:53 AM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably off topic, lately we worked with Alex to export the Roassal visualizations to the web (both SVG and HTML). The idea is open the possibility to export visualization with Seaside without requiring Amber. You can find some examples in Roassal 2.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal on the web

abergel
Roassal will have a reliable HTML exporter. The vision we have behind this effort, is to make sure that people can do their visualization in Pharo (therefore using their favorite tools to do this), and then export it to HTML. We have opted to spit plain SVG, with a little bit of JavaScript to handle the interaction. The benefice we will have from this, is to not rely on external library (e.g., D3, Protovis, RafaelJS), which means the webpage will be much faster to load.

Alexandre

On Aug 21, 2014, at 12:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> As a general feeling, RT is great for local visualisations but for web visualisations it is close to nowhere compared to the competition (not sure we want to go there anyway).
>
> What is the roadmap there, if any?

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal on the web

abergel
Look at the example given in RTHTMLExporterExample.
This still work in progress. It would be great if someone could help us by the way :-)

Alexandre