Running Squeak on Chrome OS

Ralph Boland
I am writing in Squeak some software for teaching (mostly math) to
kids (ages 4-10).
These kids and their schools often have chrome OS based computers.
So it would be great if my software can run on these machines.

So I would like to know the status of Squeak (and perhaps Pharo) in terms of
running on  chrome OS.

Also, I would be able to take advantage of the touch screen these devices have.

Where is Squeak in terms of using touch screens?

Ralph Boland

Re: Running Squeak on Chrome OS

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ralph,

> On Jan 27, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Ralph Boland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am writing in Squeak some software for teaching (mostly math) to
> kids (ages 4-10).
> These kids and their schools often have chrome OS based computers.
> So it would be great if my software can run on these machines.
>
> So I would like to know the status of Squeak (and perhaps Pharo) in terms of
> running on  chrome OS.

Looking at the Wikipedia page it looks hopeful. Chrome OS is a Linux variant that runs on x86 and ARMv7 hardware.  The Cog JIT VM should run on that configuration.  But I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Building my the VM should be straight forward on an x86 or ARMv7 Linux.  If you check out the opensmalltalk-vm read build.linux32x86/HowToBuild and build.linux32ARMv7/HowToBuild and see how you get on.

> Also, I would be able to take advantage of the touch screen these devices have.
>
> Where is Squeak in terms of using touch screens?

I don't know where the image is but do know that the VM does pass up touch events.  He Geo is touch based and IIRC it runs on Pharo on iPhone (& perhaps elsewhere).

> Ralph Boland

Re: Running Squeak on Chrome OS

fniephaus

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 at 6:13 am, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ralph,

> On Jan 27, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Ralph Boland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am writing in Squeak some software for teaching (mostly math) to
> kids (ages 4-10).
> These kids and their schools often have chrome OS based computers.
> So it would be great if my software can run on these machines.
>
> So I would like to know the status of Squeak (and perhaps Pharo) in terms of
> running on  chrome OS.

Looking at the Wikipedia page it looks hopeful. Chrome OS is a Linux variant that runs on x86 and ARMv7 hardware.  The Cog JIT VM should run on that configuration.  But I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Chrome OS primarily supports web apps and I would be surprised if you can run arbitrary binaries without rooting it.
You might want to check out https://goo.gl/PP6ARW and https://goo.gl/1NNMSS
SqueakJS does support touch events but maps them to mouse events, so fancy touch interactions aren't supported yet.

Hope this helps,
Fabio