Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Chris Cunnington-4
I recall there was a problem with the All-In-One.[1] Craig made a new one. [2] It needs to replace the old one.[3]. Is that correct?

Chris

Re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Tobias Pape

On 10.10.2014, at 17:41, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recall there was a problem with the All-In-One.[1] Craig made a new one. [2] It needs to replace the old one.[3]. Is that correct?
>
> Chris
>

> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-September/180037.html
>
> [2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I
> [3] http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/

Yes but we now must talk about how to handle all-in-ones.
When apple really no longer allow stuff besides the Contents/ directory,
it renders the whole thing moot.
Then we better
        either distribute 3 individual files
        or an unsigned all-in-one.

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Chris Cunnington-4

> On Oct 10, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 10.10.2014, at 17:41, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I recall there was a problem with the All-In-One.[1] Craig made a new one. [2] It needs to replace the old one.[3]. Is that correct?
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-September/180037.html
>>
>> [2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I
>> [3] http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/
>
> Yes but we now must talk about how to handle all-in-ones.

I thought as much. I made a humorous post expecting this. I erased it as I figured it would annoy people.
Soooo, when you’ve finished deciding what you want, please create a message that say in the Subject line: “Webteam Leader Request - blah, blah”. The upload and change will take place soon after.
I think I can be forgiven for not wanting to read about the details.

Cheers,
Chris

On 10.10.2014, at 17:51, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Oct 10, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 10.10.2014, at 17:41, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I recall there was a problem with the All-In-One.[1] Craig made a new one. [2] It needs to replace the old one.[3]. Is that correct?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>>> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-September/180037.html
>>>
>>> [2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I
>>> [3] http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/
>>
>> Yes but we now must talk about how to handle all-in-ones.
>
> I thought as much. I made a humorous post expecting this. I erased it as I figured it would annoy people.
> Soooo, when you’ve finished deciding what you want, please create a message that say in the Subject line: “Webteam Leader Request - blah, blah”. The upload and change will take place soon after.
> I think I can be forgiven for not wanting to read about the details.

ACK

> Cheers,
> Chris
>
>> When apple really no longer allow stuff besides the Contents/ directory,
>> it renders the whole thing moot.
>> Then we better
>> either distribute 3 individual files
>> or an unsigned all-in-one.
>>

>> Best
>> -Tobias

Re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Chris Muller-3
We talked about it in last week's board meeting.  We decided there is
merit to staying with an All-In-One but there was a discussion about
whether there should be shortcuts in the main directory for each
platform.  There was representation for both sides of that question,
but the majority settled on including them.

Chris C., since I was the 4.5 release manager, if you don't mind,
after Craig has time to put that together, I'd like to take a look at
it and I'll just go ahead and upload it myself afterward.  Just FYI,
everything in the ftp site should be uploaded as the "updates" user,
not root.

Thanks.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.10.2014, at 17:41, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I recall there was a problem with the All-In-One.[1] Craig made a new one. [2] It needs to replace the old one.[3]. Is that correct?
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-September/180037.html
>>
>> [2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I
>> [3] http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/
>
> Yes but we now must talk about how to handle all-in-ones.
> When apple really no longer allow stuff besides the Contents/ directory,
> it renders the whole thing moot.
> Then we better
>         either distribute 3 individual files
>         or an unsigned all-in-one.
>

> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Chris Cunnington-4

> On Oct 10, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We talked about it in last week's board meeting.  We decided there is
> merit to staying with an All-In-One but there was a discussion about
> whether there should be shortcuts in the main directory for each
> platform.  There was representation for both sides of that question,
> but the majority settled on including them.
>
> Chris C., since I was the 4.5 release manager, if you don't mind,
> after Craig has time to put that together, I'd like to take a look at
> it and I'll just go ahead and upload it myself afterward.

No problem.
*now bowing out*

>  Just FYI,
> everything in the ftp site should be uploaded as the "updates" user,
> not root.

Good to know.

Chris

On 10.10.2014, at 18:21, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We talked about it in last week's board meeting.  We decided there is
> merit to staying with an All-In-One but there was a discussion about
> whether there should be shortcuts in the main directory for each
> platform.

From how I understood Craig, this won't work with a signed AIO.
I would go for an unsigned one.

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

Chris Muller> We talked about it in last week's board meeting.  We
Chris Muller> decided there is merit to staying with an All-In-One but
Chris Muller> there was a discussion about whether there should be
Chris Muller> shortcuts in the main directory for each platform.

Tobias> From how I understood Craig, this won't work with a signed AIO.
Tobias> I would go for an unsigned one.

     Chris is referring to a suggestion to create sibling files to the
.app folder, each of which is a platform-dependent script that launches
the app. E.g., on Linux you would put a Squeak4.5.app folder in
/usr/local/bin (for example), there is a script /usr/local/bin/squeak4.5
which starts the app, and you include /usr/local/bin in your executable
search paths. The "main directory" Chris mentions would be a new
directory in the release artifact, containing the .app folder and the
launch scripts.

     The suggestion had nothing to do with signatures, but rather with a
longstanding complaint by a board member about having to descend into
the .app folder to start the app on non-Mac platforms, no matter how
deep (specifically, in .app as before, or, as I made it to work with
Apple's new signing rules, .app/Contents/LinuxAndWindows).

     Personally, I make explicit Linux shell aliases and Windows
shortcuts for launching each Squeak release I have. I have so many VMs
floating around that I don't trust executable search paths to work
correctly. Of course, it'd be better if those platforms would finally
decide on a way of representing a self-contained app; it could just live
anywhere in a filesystem, be found through search, and launched from the
search interface. This is how I launch most apps on the Mac (from
Spotlight).

     Anyway, we may as well continue signing the .app folder.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

On 10.10.2014, at 22:40, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> Chris Muller> We talked about it in last week's board meeting.  We
> Chris Muller> decided there is merit to staying with an All-In-One but
> Chris Muller> there was a discussion about whether there should be
> Chris Muller> shortcuts in the main directory for each platform.
>
> Tobias> From how I understood Craig, this won't work with a signed AIO.
> Tobias> I would go for an unsigned one.
>
>     Chris is referring to a suggestion to create sibling files to the
> .app folder, each of which is a platform-dependent script that launches
> the app. E.g., on Linux you would put a Squeak4.5.app folder in
> /usr/local/bin (for example), there is a script /usr/local/bin/squeak4.5
> which starts the app, and you include /usr/local/bin in your executable
> search paths. The "main directory" Chris mentions would be a new
> directory in the release artifact, containing the .app folder and the
> launch scripts.

ugh, I wouldn't like that. but I am mostly a Mac user, so my vote doesn't
really count here…

Best
        -Tobias

>     The suggestion had nothing to do with signatures, but rather with a
> longstanding complaint by a board member about having to descend into
> the .app folder to start the app on non-Mac platforms, no matter how
> deep (specifically, in .app as before, or, as I made it to work with
> Apple's new signing rules, .app/Contents/LinuxAndWindows).
>
>     Personally, I make explicit Linux shell aliases and Windows
> shortcuts for launching each Squeak release I have. I have so many VMs
> floating around that I don't trust executable search paths to work
> correctly. Of course, it'd be better if those platforms would finally
> decide on a way of representing a self-contained app; it could just live
> anywhere in a filesystem, be found through search, and launched from the
> search interface. This is how I launch most apps on the Mac (from
> Spotlight).
>
>     Anyway, we may as well continue signing the .app folder.
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> netjam.org
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file - upload to the 4.5 directory?

Chris Muller-3
> Chris Muller> We talked about it in last week's board meeting.  We
> Chris Muller> decided there is merit to staying with an All-In-One but
> Chris Muller> there was a discussion about whether there should be
> Chris Muller> shortcuts in the main directory for each platform.
>
> Tobias> From how I understood Craig, this won't work with a signed AIO.
> Tobias> I would go for an unsigned one.
>
>      Chris is referring to a suggestion to create sibling files to the
> .app folder, each of which is a platform-dependent script that launches
> the app. E.g., on Linux you would put a Squeak4.5.app folder in
> /usr/local/bin (for example), there is a script /usr/local/bin/squeak4.5
> which starts the app, and you include /usr/local/bin in your executable
> search paths. The "main directory" Chris mentions would be a new
> directory in the release artifact, containing the .app folder and the
> launch scripts.

That's quite different than what I thought we were discussing in the
meeting..?  Maybe I was disconnected from what you and/or Eliot was
talking about..?  I thought the suggestion was simply to include two
one-liner shortcuts as siblings to Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app.

(I actually would prefer them to be siblings of the Contents folder
but I guess that's not an option due to Apple restrictions?)

Since the shortcuts simply point to relative locatoins within the
All-In-One, so there's no need to adjust paths for anything.

The purpose of the All-In-One is to get newbies into Squeak with as
little effort as possible.  By the time they get to wanting to launch
all different kinds of VM's they'll no longer be using the All-In-One.

So, if we were speaking differnt languages in the meeting, hopefully
you like this a little better.

I sent you a link from the other email.  Thanks Craig.