Running etoys on Intel-based Macs

Kim Rose
Greetings,

We've recently had a number of email messages regarding
running/loading etoys on an Intel-based Mac.  Here's a little info -

You can do this now....just "get info" on Safari and select "Open
using Rosetta".  This will do the trick.

In adddition, our colleague John McIntosh is building a "universal
plug in" that will be usable by both PowerPC-based Macs and the new
Intel-based Macs.   John will have this ready by the end of October
and we'll replace  the current Macintosh PlugIn with this once fully
tested.

For those of you in schools we hope your year is off to a great start!
Happy Squeaking and please share your experiences with this mailing list.

cheers,
Kim

Re: Running etoys on Intel-based Macs

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
Hi Kim and all,

Talking about running Squeak in other architectures. A friend and me was
trying to run it in a Debian Gnu/Linux on a Amd64 procesor.

We tried first installing a debianized version of squeak-sources for
amd64 and then a debianized version of squeak-vm for 32 bit (we don't
find the 64bits one). When we tried to launch it we get this error message:

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
  - check that /usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/vm-display-X11.so exists, or
  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.

when we made a "ldd  /usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/vm-display-X11.so" we get a
message about some shared libraries installed and others not, so we use
the deb packages utilities to install the absent libraries, but making
"ldd  /usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/vm-display-X11.so" again we get the same
list of uninstalled shared libraries and then we realize that the only
shared libraries percibed by vm-dispaly-X11.so where the ones which has
32 emulation support.

¿There is another way to install Squeak on AMD64 bits Linux platform or
how can go to this path and get Squeak running?

Cheers,

Offray