S050 - Informática para Tontos / E050 - Computer Science for Dummies

S050 - Informática para Tontos / E050 - Computer Science for Dummies

Carlos Rabassa
S050 - Informática para Tontos

E050 - Computer Science for Dummies

Carlos Rabassa
Voluntario
Red de Apoyo al Plan Ceibal
Montevideo, Uruguay

Re: [realness] Re: [IAEP] S050 - Informática para Tontos / E050 - Computer Science for Dummies

Carlos Rabassa
Frederick,

I am not familiar with WIndows.  I switched to Macintosh in 1993.

Last May a few nice knowledgeable guys tried to put SoaS in my Mac  but it wouldn´t work.

They concluded SoaS was not yet ready for MacOS.

Does SoaS work now in Macs?

Has anyone tried it successfully?

Carlos Rabassa
Volunteer
Plan Ceibal Support Network
Montevideo, Uruguay

On Apr 8, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Frederick Grose wrote:

> On 4/8/11, Carlos Rabassa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> S050 - Informática para Tontos
>> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1FVJC2Ij4Vsub_3RJBu9HIhf6qRqdQVbq1WZrvebm7-c
>>
>> E050 - Computer Science for Dummies
>> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=131-kPidBmlTFE14DvSkYFGzNWlWD1KjY0lsAW673vag
>>
>> Carlos Rabassa
>> Voluntario
>> Red de Apoyo al Plan Ceibal
>> Montevideo, Uruguay
>
> See  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Boot
>
> Clarifications and other improvements are welcome.
>
>    --Fred

Re: [IAEP] [realness] Re: S050 - Informática para Tontos / E050 - Computer Science for Dummies

Carlos Rabassa
Thanks Thomas,

today is too late in the day for me and tomorrow I will be busy all day.

Will try this later on but I´m afraid you overestimated my capacity,  I said I am a dummy.

These instructions and so many alternatives remind me quite a bit of previous experiences when I could see the same initial screen of the XOs at the schools and start some of the programs but there were lots of things that were not working.

Thanks again.

WIll let you know if I make any progress.

Carlos Rabassa
Voluntario
Red de Apoyo al Plan Ceibal
Montevideo, Uruguay

On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

Carlos Rabassa wrote:
Frederick,

I am not familiar with WIndows.  I switched to Macintosh in 1993.

Last May a few nice knowledgeable guys tried to put SoaS in my Mac  but it wouldn´t work.

They concluded SoaS was not yet ready for MacOS.

Does SoaS work now in Macs?

Has anyone tried it successfully?

Tested today: 04/08/2011

Macbook Pro i7:
 Intel Core i7-2620 CPU@ 2.70 z x4
 Intel Sandybridge Mobile GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT

1-) VirtualBox 4.0.4 OSX Emulation seems to be best:
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files
( a list of ready to go Importable Virtual Machines with sugar.)

Trisquel-4.1-sugar works very well as a SoaS and is Recommended for Intel Macs
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files/Trisquel#Trisquel-4.1-sugar

2-) These CD's boot on the MAC
   (hold "C" key during power on on Mac about 10+ sec)
 Ethernet (wired) and usb mouse work (No wireless)

http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/15-Beta.RC2/Live/i686/Fedora-15-Beta-i686-Live-Desktop.iso
Gnome3-shell 2.91.93 Desktop

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2983261&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110407.23-i686-Live-soas.iso
SoaS f15

there are still some problems with Soas:
 on first login to Live User it tries to go to start openbox
 log out then type in live user in the  login bar "other"
select sugar as gdm dropdown
it will fail
next log in live user (no password) and sugar will start
If Ethernet (wired) is connected the f1 neigborhood works on jabber
 Control Panel/ About My Computer:
    Sugar on a stick 5
    sugar 0.92.0

3-)Notes:
04/06/2011 10:15 AM  Re: [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] SoaS v5 status
 pbrobinson had these alternate instructions:
Those impatient people can boot up the current release and when it

>> > boots to the login screen do a "Ctrl + Alt + F2" login as root, run
>> > "rpm -e openbox", do a "Ctrl + Alt + F8" and then login and you should
>> > get a lovely sweet Sugar :-D

I still think Virtualization is the Best way to run sugar on a Mac

Tom Gilliard
satellit on IRC freenode #sugar

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
   (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2983251&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110407.23-i686-Live-desktop.iso)

[...]

Edward,

Thanks for your suggestion.

If I have to do it,  I'm sorry but I have to decline.

I have no idea about what has to be done or how someone would be able to benefit from the effort.

If you or anyone else feels there is any value in anything I do,  please feel free to use whatever you find.

Most of what I have done so far,  mostly exercises for me to learn and be able to answer some of the questions received,  may be found at:

The Squeakland showcase everyone
This link points to one of my most recent projects:

Aprendo I Learn - A collection of pages I wrote mostly to answer questions received

Índice - A collection of items,  I prepared for my own use,  some written by me most by others

If you think all this is a mess,  I would certainly agree.

After the insistence of a some fellow volunteers at RAP Ceibal,  mainly Leticia Romero and Paolo Benini, whom I thank for their patience in dealing with me,   I am thinking of bringing some order to my files.

They have suggested a blog a few times.

From time to time they say blog and I say website,  sometimes I say website with link to a blog.

I believe that for storing information,  it should be a website.

This is the result of the first five minutes invested in creating a free website for this purpose:

There is no content yet in this site.

Interesting,  they mention how easy it is to find out things in a blog.

Today,  search engines search almost everything we put in internet no matter where it is.

An interesting curious example:

Our son had successfully made empanadas,  a typical uruguayan dish,  for some of his friends.

Now he wanted to go one step further and use home made dough rather than buying it ready.

He asked Mom for her recipe and,  this is how we found it and sent it to him right away:

Search using Google for "Nenny Rabassa empanada".

Select Google´s top recommendation.

Nenny,  my wife and business associate,  put it in internet some 12 years ago.

Nenny used to cook for our fellow real estate brokers to thank them for visiting our broker open houses.

That´s how some of her recipes ended up in internet.

On Apr 9, 2011, at 1:44 AM, Edward Cherlin wrote:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 17:36, Carlos Rabassa <[hidden email]> wrote:
S050 - Informática para Tontos
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1FVJC2Ij4Vsub_3RJBu9HIhf6qRqdQVbq1WZrvebm7-c
E050 - Computer Science for Dummies
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=131-kPidBmlTFE14DvSkYFGzNWlWD1KjY0lsAW673vag

Would you like to turn this into a Replacing Textbooks project hosted
at Sugar Labs?

Carlos Rabassa
Voluntario
Red de Apoyo al Plan Ceibal