S8 Release Candidate in New York

leodm

Smalltaking is proud to announce that S8 Release Candidate is going to be presented
in New York on Tuesday March 6, 2012 thanks to NYC Smallltalk Developer’s group.

Presentation will start promptly at 7:00 at the offices of Suite LLC, 60 East 42nd Street,
Suite 914. The presentation are open to the general public. There will be an open house
from 6:30 – 7pm for some pre-presentation chat.

More details in http://www.nycsmalltalk.org/2012/01/10/s8-release-candidate-smalltalk-on-js/

More Events in our home page in English at http://www.smalltalking.net/indexe.htm

Smalltalking Association.

[hidden email]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smalltalking está orgulloso de anunciar que S8 - Release Candidate será presentado en Nueva York

el martes 6 de marzo organizado por el grupo de usuario de Smalltalk de Nueva York.

La presentación comenzará a las 19hs en las oficinas de Suite LLC (60 East 42nd Street,
Suite 914). La presentación está abierto al público en general.

Mas detalles en http://www.nycsmalltalk.org/2012/01/10/s8-release-candidate-smalltalk-on-js/

Otros eventos en nuestro pagina principal en español http://www.smalltalking.net

Asociación Smalltalking.

Re: S8 Release Candidate in New York

leodm
Hi Dennis,

>How is it compared to Amber (http://amber.st/)?

We do not have comparative datasheet with Ambar nor other similar  approach
to run smalltalk on top of javascript; and we have no plans  to invest
resources writing comparatives.
We can say that S8 project (it is a project part of a research  of more than
ten years about modern formulation of Smalltalk)  has same origins of source
code as Ambar, but the reason  and directions of development can be
diferent; we dont know the  guides and directions of Ambar, we have not
spend time reading  the web site nor talking with authors about their
motivations  and ideas about the persistence of the product in the future.
Smalltalking will support S8 development as part of research and
development platform of Smalltalk based Object Ambiences  with the same
compromise as it has been with all alternatives  of software development
based in Smalltalk +10 years before.
S8 is media for exploring and learning about Object Technology  as most of
the sources hosted by http://www.smalltalking,net

Best Regards,
Leo De Marco

----------------------------

--
Dennis Schetinin
-------------- next part --------------

End of Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 109, Issue 15

Re: S8 Release Candidate in New York

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

That's too bad, we could work together instead of splitting efforts.

The Amber project has been alive and kicking for months now.
See http://amber-lang.net and https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber

I'd be glad to talk with you and share experiences!

Cheers,
Nico

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 11:53 -0300, Leo De Marco wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > ** **

> ----------------------------
> > ****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Smalltalking esta orgulloso de anunciar que *S8 - Release Candidate* sera
> > presentado en Nueva York****
> >
> > el *martes 6 de marzo* organizado por el grupo de usuario de Smalltalk de
> > Nueva York.****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > La presentacisn comenzara a las *19hs en las oficinas de Suite LLC* (60
> > East 42nd Street,
> > Suite 914). La presentacisn esta abierto al pzblico en general. ****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Mas detalles en
> >
> http://www.nycsmalltalk.org/2012/01/10/s8-release-candidate-smalltalk-on-js/
> > ****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Otros eventos en nuestro pagina principal en espaqol

A pretty big Squeak 4.3 image (nearly 8 GB)

David T. Lewis
Attached is a screen shot of the Squeak 4.3 release image traced to 64-bit
object format, after allocating a lot of object memory. This is running
on a box with 8GB of real memory, so the image is about as large as it
can get on my computer.

The image is fully functional and can be saved to disk and reloaded. Saving
an 8GB image to disk and restarting it are slow, but the image itself works
fine once it is up and running.

Monticello and other tools work, and the image can be updated from the
trunk update stream just like any other image. Overall it feels just
like a normal 32-bit image despite its much larger address space.

Dave

squeak64.jpg (246K) Download Attachment

Re: S8 Release Candidate in New York

leodm