SAR Files

Jeffery Billing
I am interested in using the 'Speech' package.
These are in SAR files.
How do I convert these files and then install them into squeak (vers 3.9) so that I can use them in a project?
I am a complete newbie!!
Jeff Billing

Re: SAR Files

Rob Rothwell
I *think* if you open a file list with the World Menu->open->file list and browse to your SAR file, an "install" button will appear in the file list.

Just press the button, and hopefully everything will work!

Rob

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Jeffery Billing <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am interested in using the 'Speech' package.
These are in SAR files.
How do I convert these files and then install them into squeak (vers 3.9) so that I can use them in a project?
I am a complete newbie!!
Jeff Billing

SARInstallation.jpg (16K) Download Attachment

Re: SAR Files

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 5/23/08 10:00 PM, "Rob Rothwell" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I *think* if you open a file list with the World Menu->open->file list and
> browse to your SAR file, an "install" button will appear in the file list.
>
> Just press the button, and hopefully everything will work!
>
> Rob

And you could drag and drop into any Squeak 3.8 and newer.
A menu like this shows.

The .sar files is like smart install, you could control different actions
for different squeaks, made your dream about which packages and which
versions, add complementary files like .jpg,.gif,.png or .wav, you named.

You could find small ones and big and complex ones and trust me its the only
way you become your own Master and survive the raising number of Squeak
versions.

If the .sar have "preamble", all this code is executed first.
Then all code files ,st .cs, .mcz, etc, was loaded in order (if in preamble
you don't have some different.
And if you have a "postscript", this code is executed last.

Here you have a puzzle.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5861

I have variants in the preamble like this

| misFotos listaArchivos member form str |
Smalltalk version  = 'SqueakLight' ifTrue:[ self fileInMemberNamed:
'MixedCurves.2.cs'.
    self fileInMemberNamed: 'MinimalSound.2.cs'].

self fileInMemberNamed: 'Morphic-Puzzle.47.cs'.

member _ self memberNamed: 'CatClubBallooning.jpg'.
PuzzleMorph foto: (Form fromBinaryStream: member contentStream binary).
member _ self memberNamed: 'Taunt011.wav'.
PuzzleMorph sonido: (member contentStream binary).
PuzzleMorph allPieces

So I develop in my own develop image, with all my tools and then made a .sar
and could run into my SqueakLight of 3.7 mb, close and give a RTS (Run Time
System) if I don't wish client knows is made in Squeak.

Off course , you could do any serious and not only fun...

Picture 2.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: SAR Files

Jeffery Billing
Edgar I would like to thank you and Bob for your help.
I followed instructions and everything worked perfectly (So easy when you know how!!)
Edgar I will save your e-mail for future perusal as I am sure that it will be of great help as I travel further down the 'Squeak Path'.
Thanks again
Jeff Billing
---- "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El 5/23/08 10:00 PM, "Rob Rothwell" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > I *think* if you open a file list with the World Menu->open->file list and
> > browse to your SAR file, an "install" button will appear in the file list.
> >
> > Just press the button, and hopefully everything will work!
> >
> > Rob
>

> And you could drag and drop into any Squeak 3.8 and newer.
> A menu like this shows.
>
> The .sar files is like smart install, you could control different actions
> for different squeaks, made your dream about which packages and which
> versions, add complementary files like .jpg,.gif,.png or .wav, you named.
>
> You could find small ones and big and complex ones and trust me its the only
> way you become your own Master and survive the raising number of Squeak
> versions.
>
> If the .sar have "preamble", all this code is executed first.
> Then all code files ,st .cs, .mcz, etc, was loaded in order (if in preamble
> you don't have some different.
> And if you have a "postscript", this code is executed last.
>

> Here you have a puzzle.
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5861
>
> I have variants in the preamble like this
>
> | misFotos listaArchivos member form str |
> Smalltalk version  = 'SqueakLight' ifTrue:[ self fileInMemberNamed:
> 'MixedCurves.2.cs'.
>     self fileInMemberNamed: 'MinimalSound.2.cs'].
>
> self fileInMemberNamed: 'Morphic-Puzzle.47.cs'.
>
> member _ self memberNamed: 'CatClubBallooning.jpg'.
> PuzzleMorph foto: (Form fromBinaryStream: member contentStream binary).
> member _ self memberNamed: 'Taunt011.wav'.
> PuzzleMorph sonido: (member contentStream binary).
> PuzzleMorph allPieces
>

> So I develop in my own develop image, with all my tools and then made a .sar
> and could run into my SqueakLight of 3.7 mb, close and give a RTS (Run Time
> System) if I don't wish client knows is made in Squeak.
>
> Off course , you could do any serious and not only fun...

Re: SAR Files

stephane ducasse
Hi

It seems that speech is already in 3.9
Pay attention that klatt does not work with frnech like language :)
Luciano sent me some more files so if you need I can dig on my HD.

Stef

On May 24, 2008, at 2:37 AM, Jeffery Billing wrote:

> I am interested in using the 'Speech' package.
> These are in SAR files.
> How do I convert these files and then install them into squeak (vers
> 3.9) so that I can use them in a project?
> I am a complete newbie!!
> Jeff Billing

Re: SAR Files + Speech program

Jeffery Billing
Hello Stef,
As you will see from my next post, I have successfully installed (at
least I think I have) the speech program but I do not seem to be able to
get the sound functions to work in Squeak at the moment (Both speaker
and microphone work fine in Ubuntu so the problem must lie within
Squeak).
I would welcome any information that you have on the Speech program.
I have a young student with very severe speech problems and I want to
develop a program that will give her feedback when she 'approximates' a
desired sound.
My main need is to be able to analyse a sound and then determine whether
or not it fits within certain parameters. It may well be that 'any
sound' will initiate a 'reward' initially but of course I eventually
want the sound to approach the 'correct' sound.
Hope this make sense.
Regards
Jeffery.
On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 22:25 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> It seems that speech is already in 3.9
> Pay attention that klatt does not work with frnech like language :)
> Luciano sent me some more files so if you need I can dig on my HD.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 24, 2008, at 2:37 AM, Jeffery Billing wrote:
>
> > I am interested in using the 'Speech' package.
> > These are in SAR files.
> > How do I convert these files and then install them into squeak (vers
> > 3.9) so that I can use them in a project?
> > I am a complete newbie!!
> > Jeff Billing

Re: SAR Files

Jeffery Billing
I am not sure whether or not you received this. So please excuse me if
this is a second copy.