SBE and Squeak versions out-of-sync?

David Finlayson-4
I'm on vacation and learning Smalltalk is how I'm spending my evenings
(family is young and goes to bed early). I downloaded a copy of Squeak
by Example (Version 2008-3-10) and the latest squeak for OS X:

Squeak3.9-7067mac vm 3.8.18beta1U

With the recommended dev-image:

sq3.9.1-7075dev08.03.1

Considering the date of the most recent update to the book, I was
surprised (and very confused by) a number of major differences between
the Squeak image described in the book and the one on my computer.
I've waisted a lot of my spare time trying to figure out what the heck
is going on. The main problems are differences between the World menu
(completely reorganized, apparently), expert vs novice mode (no "Do
it" in novice mode but this was the default mode) and what looks like
some major changes in the System Browser (for example, the need for
packages before defining a class, the lack of a second window for
editing class comments, etc.

Right now, I can't define a new method as described in Section 2.2 the
method template doesn't show up when I click on -- all -- in the
protocols pane.  Doubtless it is user error, but I'd like to get back
on track (maybe I downloaded something I shouldn't have?). Any
suggestions?

I checked the on-line errata for the book and it does not mention any
of these interface changes I'm seeing. Thought that I would post here
rather than waist more time flailing around.

Sorry so long winded.

David

Re: SBE and Squeak versions out-of-sync?

Randal L. Schwartz
Its unfortunate that even on the second edition of SBE, this bug still
hasn't been corrected, I see. The book examples are all from the
*release* version of 3.9, even though the book indicates (incorrectly)
that you should use Damien's dev image. Get the standard squeak
release and all will be well, and maybe the *third* SBE will fix this
error.

Sent from my iPhone!

On Mar 28, 2008, at 10:02 PM, "David Finlayson" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm on vacation and learning Smalltalk is how I'm spending my evenings
> (family is young and goes to bed early). I downloaded a copy of Squeak
> by Example (Version 2008-3-10) and the latest squeak for OS X:
>
> Squeak3.9-7067mac vm 3.8.18beta1U
>
> With the recommended dev-image:
>
> sq3.9.1-7075dev08.03.1
>
> Considering the date of the most recent update to the book, I was
> surprised (and very confused by) a number of major differences between
> the Squeak image described in the book and the one on my computer.
> I've waisted a lot of my spare time trying to figure out what the heck
> is going on. The main problems are differences between the World menu
> (completely reorganized, apparently), expert vs novice mode (no "Do
> it" in novice mode but this was the default mode) and what looks like
> some major changes in the System Browser (for example, the need for
> packages before defining a class, the lack of a second window for
> editing class comments, etc.
>
> Right now, I can't define a new method as described in Section 2.2 the
> method template doesn't show up when I click on -- all -- in the
> protocols pane.  Doubtless it is user error, but I'd like to get back
> on track (maybe I downloaded something I shouldn't have?). Any
> suggestions?
>
> I checked the on-line errata for the book and it does not mention any
> of these interface changes I'm seeing. Thought that I would post here
> rather than waist more time flailing around.
>
> Sorry so long winded.
>
> David

Re: SBE and Squeak versions out-of-sync?

onierstrasz

Hm.  Nobody ever posted this problem on the SBE discussion list.
That's why it has never been addressed.

Ww will have a look at it and fix it as soon as feasible.

- on

On Mar 29, 2008, at 7:21, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Its unfortunate that even on the second edition of SBE, this bug
> still hasn't been corrected, I see. The book examples are all from
> the *release* version of 3.9, even though the book indicates
> (incorrectly) that you should use Damien's dev image. Get the
> standard squeak release and all will be well, and maybe the *third*
> SBE will fix this error.
>
> Sent from my iPhone!
>
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 10:02 PM, "David Finlayson"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm on vacation and learning Smalltalk is how I'm spending my
>> evenings
>> (family is young and goes to bed early). I downloaded a copy of
>> Squeak
>> by Example (Version 2008-3-10) and the latest squeak for OS X:
>>
>> Squeak3.9-7067mac vm 3.8.18beta1U
>>
>> With the recommended dev-image:
>>
>> sq3.9.1-7075dev08.03.1
>>
>> Considering the date of the most recent update to the book, I was
>> surprised (and very confused by) a number of major differences
>> between
>> the Squeak image described in the book and the one on my computer.
>> I've waisted a lot of my spare time trying to figure out what the
>> heck
>> is going on. The main problems are differences between the World menu
>> (completely reorganized, apparently), expert vs novice mode (no "Do
>> it" in novice mode but this was the default mode) and what looks like
>> some major changes in the System Browser (for example, the need for
>> packages before defining a class, the lack of a second window for
>> editing class comments, etc.
>>
>> Right now, I can't define a new method as described in Section 2.2
>> the
>> method template doesn't show up when I click on -- all -- in the
>> protocols pane.  Doubtless it is user error, but I'd like to get back
>> on track (maybe I downloaded something I shouldn't have?). Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> I checked the on-line errata for the book and it does not mention any
>> of these interface changes I'm seeing. Thought that I would post here
>> rather than waist more time flailing around.
>>
>> Sorry so long winded.
>>
>> David

Re: SBE and Squeak versions out-of-sync?

David Finlayson-4
Thanks, that did the trick. Use the regular Squeak image with the
book, not the dev image.

Re: SBE and Squeak versions out-of-sync?

stephane ducasse
This is strange that the novice mode was on on the sqeuak-dev image.
Can you check on your original image that it was the case?
Can you also tell us what is the default browser?

Stef

On Mar 29, 2008, at 6:02 AM, David Finlayson wrote:

> I'm on vacation and learning Smalltalk is how I'm spending my evenings
> (family is young and goes to bed early). I downloaded a copy of Squeak
> by Example (Version 2008-3-10) and the latest squeak for OS X:
>
> Squeak3.9-7067mac vm 3.8.18beta1U
>
> With the recommended dev-image:
>
> sq3.9.1-7075dev08.03.1
>
> Considering the date of the most recent update to the book, I was
> surprised (and very confused by) a number of major differences between
> the Squeak image described in the book and the one on my computer.
> I've waisted a lot of my spare time trying to figure out what the heck
> is going on. The main problems are differences between the World menu
> (completely reorganized, apparently), expert vs novice mode (no "Do
> it" in novice mode but this was the default mode) and what looks like
> some major changes in the System Browser (for example, the need for
> packages before defining a class, the lack of a second window for
> editing class comments, etc.
>
> Right now, I can't define a new method as described in Section 2.2 the
> method template doesn't show up when I click on -- all -- in the
> protocols pane.  Doubtless it is user error, but I'd like to get back
> on track (maybe I downloaded something I shouldn't have?). Any
> suggestions?
>
> I checked the on-line errata for the book and it does not mention any
> of these interface changes I'm seeing. Thought that I would post here
> rather than waist more time flailing around.
>
> Sorry so long winded.
>
> David

Re: SBE and Squeak versions out-of-sync?

David Finlayson-4
There is no problem. I was confused by the differences between the
normal image described in the book and the development image and
obviously clicked on the novice mode button while I was flailing
around.