SIXX troubles and advanced use

florent trolat
Hi,

1/
I'm playing with SIXX and I call upon your memory about troubles with it.
I've already seen some troubles in mailing list archives...

2/
Have you big (critic) applications using sixx?

3/
The SiXX description says:
> Advanced users can implement custom serialization/deserialization
> format by overriding only a few hook methods
Maybe someone have tried to do something like this?

Thanks

FLO

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi,

I'm now upgrading SIXX. The new version has new hooks for customizing
serialization more easily. So I recommend using the latest version
here:
http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/

Basically, SIXX writes the whole object structures in one file. It is
simple, but causes a performance problem if the data becomes
relatively big.

To avoid it, you would need to split the structures in small files. I
recently developed FileMan library, which enables you to manage
multiple files easily.

FileMan:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/package/f9917683-25da-4a6c-a013-b36527a100c1

Actually. I'm developing a Wiki that stores pages in SIXX with
FileMan. If it is released, it would be a good example of using SIXX
in application.

Cheers,

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

florent trolat
Thanks a lot for your answer in a first time :-)

Masashi UMEZAWA a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm now upgrading SIXX. The new version has new hooks for customizing
> serialization more easily. So I recommend using the latest version
> here:
> http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/

available for 3.8? 3.9? (not on squeakmap?)

> Basically, SIXX writes the whole object structures in one file. It is
> simple, but causes a performance problem if the data becomes
> relatively big.
>
> To avoid it, you would need to split the structures in small files.
Ok, but sorry I'm not sure to understand : You split the strucures
accordind to the different references with other objects for example?
> Actually. I'm developing a Wiki that stores pages in SIXX with
> FileMan. If it is released, it would be a good example of using SIXX
> in application.

It's possible to have some piece of code?

Flo

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

stéphane ducasse-2
> Thanks a lot for your answer in a first time :-)
>
> Masashi UMEZAWA a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm now upgrading SIXX. The new version has new hooks for customizing
>> serialization more easily. So I recommend using the latest version
>> here:
>> http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/
>>
> available for 3.8? 3.9? (not on squeakmap?)
would it make sense to get SIXX on MC?

Florent and me published SRP on Squeaksource with all the tests green
for 3.9.

On 26 juil. 06, at 03:42, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm now upgrading SIXX. The new version has new hooks for customizing
> serialization more easily. So I recommend using the latest version
> here:
> http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/
>
> Basically, SIXX writes the whole object structures in one file. It is
> simple, but causes a performance problem if the data becomes
> relatively big.

Is there a way to specify which instance variables we can save?
Do you have a kind of metadescription?
I always thought that Magritte would be a good basis for that.

> To avoid it, you would need to split the structures in small files. I
> recently developed FileMan library, which enables you to manage
> multiple files easily.
>
> FileMan:
> http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/package/f9917683-25da-4a6c-a013-
> b36527a100c1
>
> Actually. I'm developing a Wiki that stores pages in SIXX with
> FileMan. If it is released, it would be a good example of using SIXX
> in application.
>
> Cheers,
>
> 2006/7/25, florent trolat <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1/
>> I'm playing with SIXX and I call upon your memory about troubles
>> with it.
>> I've already seen some troubles in mailing list archives...
>>
>> 2/
>> Have you big (critic) applications using sixx?
>>

>> 3/
>> The SiXX description says:
>> > Advanced users can implement custom serialization/deserialization
>> > format by overriding only a few hook methods
>> Maybe someone have tried to do something like this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> FLO
>>
> --
> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

Masashi UMEZAWA-2

> > http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/
> >
> available for 3.8? 3.9? (not on squeakmap?)

This is tested for 3.8, but I think it would run on 3.9. I will
release the stable one to SM if the code is fully tested in other
Smalltalk dialects (VW, Dolphin).

> > Basically, SIXX writes the whole object structures in one file. It is
> > simple, but causes a performance problem if the data becomes
> > relatively big.
> >
> > To avoid it, you would need to split the structures in small files.
> Ok, but sorry I'm not sure to understand : You split the strucures
> accordind to the different references with other objects for example?

One SIXX file can be thought as a container of the closely related
objects. So, it is not desirable having external references from one
SIXX file to another file. If you can not avoid some external
references, I recommend applying Memento design pattern.

> > Actually. I'm developing a Wiki that stores pages in SIXX with
> > FileMan. If it is released, it would be a good example of using SIXX
> > in application.
>
> It's possible to have some piece of code?

Wiki stuff is in a very early stage so it would be confusing. But in
'SIXX-Examples' category, you can see two examples of custom
serialization (SixxCustomStoreLoadExample, SixxMorphMemento). You can
read the class comments and evaluate example methods.

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Masashi UMEZAWA a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> > http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/
>> >
>> available for 3.8? 3.9? (not on squeakmap?)
>
> This is tested for 3.8, but I think it would run on 3.9. I will
> release the stable one to SM if the code is fully tested in other
> Smalltalk dialects (VW, Dolphin).
Ok I've tried to run test on 3.9 and there are issues due to Yaxo (no
parser available, but I have not enough experience to understand all...)
I will work on 3.8 and I will see for 3.9 later.

> One SIXX file can be thought as a container of the closely related
> objects. So, it is not desirable having external references from one
> SIXX file to another file. If you can not avoid some external
> references, I recommend applying Memento design pattern.

I will think about this...

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

stéphane ducasse-2
Did you load Yaxo in 3.9?

>>> available for 3.8? 3.9? (not on squeakmap?)
>>
>> This is tested for 3.8, but I think it would run on 3.9. I will
>> release the stable one to SM if the code is fully tested in other
>> Smalltalk dialects (VW, Dolphin).
> Ok I've tried to run test on 3.9 and there are issues due to Yaxo
> (no parser available, but I have not enough experience to
> understand all...)
> I will work on 3.8 and I will see for 3.9 later.
>>
>> One SIXX file can be thought as a container of the closely related
>> objects. So, it is not desirable having external references from one
>> SIXX file to another file. If you can not avoid some external
>> references, I recommend applying Memento design pattern.
>>
> I will think about this...

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

Masashi UMEZAWA-2

Currently, I use SqueakSourceJ (not SqueakSource) for managing alpha
versions of SIXX, because it is faster for me (actually, SqueakSourceJ
 is running on my home server).

I prefer publishing stable versions in SAR. It needs some work for
packaging but it can contain release-notes and example texts.

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use

Masashi UMEZAWA-2

> Is there a way to specify which instance variables we can save?

Yes. just implement #sixxIgnorableInstVarNames like:
sixxIgnorableInstVarNames
        ^#('cachedData')

> Do you have a kind of metadescription?
> I always thought that Magritte would be a good basis for that.

I have never seen Magritte closely, but it would be great if it can
represent meta description of which inst vars are serializable. That
info would be used through different serializers.
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

On 28 juil. 06, at 13:05, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, I use SqueakSourceJ (not SqueakSource) for managing alpha
> versions of SIXX, because it is faster for me (actually, SqueakSourceJ
> is running on my home server).

Excellent!

> I prefer publishing stable versions in SAR. It needs some work for
> packaging but it can contain release-notes and example texts.

Indeed document and resources in general are not handle well by MC.

On 28 juil. 06, at 13:15, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Is there a way to specify which instance variables we can save?
>
> Yes. just implement #sixxIgnorableInstVarNames like:
> sixxIgnorableInstVarNames
> ^#('cachedData')
>
>> Do you have a kind of metadescription?
>> I always thought that Magritte would be a good basis for that.
>
> I have never seen Magritte closely, but it would be great if it can
> represent meta description of which inst vars are serializable.

Sure you can.

> That
> info would be used through different serializers.

Please have a look because with magritte you describe your instance
variable and after
the serializer (SIXX or any other) just have to interpret them.

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use [Yaxo]

florent trolat

stéphane ducasse a écrit :
> Did you load Yaxo in 3.9?
I've tried but an error occured when I load yaxo from SM...

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use [Yaxo]

stéphane ducasse-2
> stéphane ducasse a écrit :
>> Did you load Yaxo in 3.9?
> I've tried but an error occured when I load yaxo from SM...

did you loaded the 3.9 version of Yaxo?
What is the problem? This is strange that Yaxo does not load in 3.9.

stéphane ducasse a écrit :
>> stéphane ducasse a écrit :
>>> Did you load Yaxo in 3.9?
>> I've tried but an error occured when I load yaxo from SM...
>
> did you loaded the 3.9 version of Yaxo?
I've tried to laod the package given in SM... and if you try, you have
an error due to SMMcInstaller which have the field "file" empty.....
But, where can I found " the 3.9 version of Yaxo"? The web pages I 've
seen on Yaxo don't mentioned a 3.9 version...

Re: SIXX troubles and advanced use [Yaxo]

Philippe Marschall
2006/7/31, florent trolat <[hidden email]>:

> stéphane ducasse a écrit :
> >> I've tried but an error occured when I load yaxo from SM...
> >
> > did you loaded the 3.9 version of Yaxo?
> I've tried to laod the package given in SM... and if you try, you have
> an error due to SMMcInstaller which have the field "file" empty.....
> But, where can I found " the 3.9 version of Yaxo"? The web pages I 've
> seen on Yaxo don't mentioned a 3.9 version...

I don't know of special version for 3.9 but the standard version works
fine for us:

http://www.squeaksource.com/XMLSupport.html

The loading problem probably is not related but Yaxo but SqueakMap.

Philippe

Philippe Marschall a écrit :

>> > did you loaded the 3.9 version of Yaxo?
>> I've tried to laod the package given in SM... and if you try, you have
>> an error due to SMMcInstaller which have the field "file" empty.....
>> But, where can I found " the 3.9 version of Yaxo"? The web pages I 've
>> seen on Yaxo don't mentioned a 3.9 version...
>
> I don't know of special version for 3.9 but the standard version works
> fine for us:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/XMLSupport.html
>
> The loading problem probably is not related but Yaxo but SqueakMap.
>
> Philippe

That's right I've load from http://www.squeaksource.com/XMLSupport.html
and Sixx with sar file. Sixx seems to work more properly with 66 test
passed on 77.
SqueakMap seems to be a little bit odd hear :-(

Thanks...

Florent